Randall Knife Collectors Club Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 175 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20042 - 07/09/07 08:13 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: Rhett Stidham]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Rhett...and all other Randall knife freaks out there:
For those purest who believe that a "true" fighter needs to look like a bowie knife....AND...For those folks who are in love with the upgrades and designs of Bo's "Vietnam" fighters, there is a compromise offered by the Randall shop. It is known as the "BCP". This ordering option, meaning "bowie clip point", is available on the Model #14-7 1/2", "Attack" and the Model #15-5 1/2", "Airman"! What you get when ordering this option is a true Bowie clip point, versus the standard "straight" clip point normally associated with these 2 fine knives.
It makes for a unique collaboration of old and new. A full, exposed, tang extremely durable fighting tool, with the old bowie "shape". No strength is sacrificed and the results is very pleasing to the eye. You cannot order the "BCP" option with the sawteeth installed, but you "can" order it with either stainless steel or carbon steel. You can get 4 finger grip, single finger grip or border patrol styled grip. Also: Brass or nickel silver double hilts in standard 1/4" straight configuration or forward curved, as well as the Model #1 (lighter) style of double hilt! On top of this, black micarta or green linen micarta are both available from the Randall shop. A wrist thong is still standard as is a model "C" sheath. The sheath can be ordered in tan, black or waxed and with or without the hone pocket.
All in all, the "BCP" makes for a very way-cool Randall and due to it's relative obscurity, a more scarce piece. I hope this answers your question. Any more questions? Just post 'em up! Best, Capt. Chris

Edited by Rhett Stidham (07/10/07 06:42 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20043 - 07/09/07 08:22 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Captain, this may sound stupid, but have you ever seen a Model 1 with a Bowie clip point?

With an eight inch blade, I think it would make a long, lean, mean, fighting machine.

I have a model 1 on order, and I would like to add this option. This is probably a DW question, but since we were on BCP's, what the hey.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#20044 - 07/09/07 08:39 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: 7033grip]
Knife Enthusiast

Dubie,
It may very well be "doable", but, as with many things in life, I am not an "expert". I am not sure there are real "experts" out there..Just folks who know a little bit about this or a little bit about that. I'll check and find out and post up within a day or so. Please folks: Try not to call the shop with a pile of questions. That's what we are trying to avoid by utilizing this question and answer thread. Thanks, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20045 - 07/09/07 08:59 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
How about some pictures of the 2 different blades or a comparison photo?

See Ya, Chief
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#20046 - 07/10/07 12:54 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
jclarksnakes Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Savannah GA
Captain Chris,
...This is an excellent and very useful thread. Anticipating the question that some people may be thinking about I just want to add that the BCP is available on Model 14 and 15 with cut down tang. I have one of each of these two Models with CDT and BCP and they look like different length versions of the Model 12 Sportsman Bowies.
RKS #4358

#20047 - 07/10/07 10:29 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: 7033grip]
Knife Enthusiast

Dubie and others,
The "BCP" option is only available on the Model #14 and #15. Apparently, and I kind of remembered this, the fourteen room offers this option, but not the "main" room. This means that you are limited to those 2 models..only!! Best for now, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20048 - 07/10/07 10:50 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
jclarksnakes Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Savannah GA
Uhhohhh. I disremembered what I have. I got a Model 15 about the same time as this Model 14 arrived and thought it also had a BCP but it has standard Model 15 blade shape instead. Here is a PIC of the Model 14 CDT, with BCP, Commando shape leather handle with brass hilt, butt and spacers. This knife has just a few low cost options so it comes from the Randall shop looking pretty tricked out and unique for a very reasonbable price. The other knife is a Buxton Fighter. The Buxton has a 6 and a half inch SS blade. If you order your Buxton from Mr. Buxton hisself you also get a very tricked out unique looking RMK for not a lot of money. The nice details on the Buxton Fighter are the Bowie point and the extended skull crusher tang with a blade length that is long enough to be a deadly fighting knife but enough shorter than a Model 14 to be much more comfortably carried.

Edited by jclarksnakes (07/10/07 10:52 PM)
RKS #4358

#20049 - 07/11/07 01:35 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: jclarksnakes]
Knife Enthusiast

Jeff,
Thanks for the pic. I cannot gain access to my "BCP",s and it will help folks a great deal to actually "see" one of these bowie clips. I am not in total agreement with you in regards to Wayne's "Buxton" fighter being a more comfortable size for usage. While I certainly find the 6" ,or so, overall blade length a great compromise, I must tell ya' that the exposed extra tang length is very uncomfortable for fat boys, like me, to carry and use and get in and out of vehicles, horses and 4 wheelers. Blade length? No question..good choice. Tang extension? A little "pokey" for real men. I use a Model #15-5 1/2", with a stainless steel blade, single nickel silver squared top hilt and an orange (G-10) border patrol handle, in a waxed "C" sheath with no hone pocket for "chores". While it may be considered by some to be a tad on the small side, blade-length wise, I really like it's overall "usage" size. I will probably grind 3/16" to 1/4" off the back of my "Buxton" and eleviate the "pinch". Of course, I'm one of few on the planet who uses these things anyway. Again: Thanks for the pic. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20050 - 07/16/07 08:20 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: michianaman]
Knife Enthusiast

Jeff,
The Model #6-9", when ordered as a large filet knife, can have the collar and butt cap. The tang is full length when ordered this way. I have one with a "crow's beak" duralumin butt cap. The shop is not crazy about installing collars right now, as it slows down production time, but an individual will have no trouble ordering it. Hope this helps, Best for now, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20051 - 07/29/07 11:12 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Quote:

It's a good time to go over something that I am asked a good deal of the time, and it relates to "both" threads. Handle material and "size" requirements.
Any questions...just post 'em here. More later. Best, Capt. Chris

Capt. Chris,
I bumped this back up to the top so we can discuss CW requirements for the #25 style grip center piece. Will you advise the sizes required for a 1/4" blade and a 3/16" blade? Also, does the blade length determine the length or the center piece or are they all the same?
RKS #4868

Page 4 of 175 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod