Nifeboy.com James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 81 of 175 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100912 - 04/30/12 11:02 PM My Stupid Question... * [Re: Skeetdoc]
boardrider Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Malibu CA, USA
Sorry to change the continuity of the thread, I will have some questions and comments about stabilized wood later.

My question is regarding a build that I am currently chosing options for. In ordereing a Brass nameplate the RMK catalog says they are usually placed on the trademark side of the blade. My knife's sheath is to be a right handed model. If the knife goes in the sheath with the blade edge facing to my rear on the right side of my body then the logo on the blade would be facing toward my body as would the nameplate. Therefore the nameplate would face toard the back of the sheath and would not be visible unless the knife is unsheathed (I hope this makes sense)

So My question is shouldn't the nameplate or any other other handle decoration (like scrimshaw, or ivory inlays) be placed on the non trademark side of the knife for a right handed carry (which is the most common carry side)? I know this is true with holstered pistols, the handle embleshing usually faces out so it can be seen without drawing the firearm. Why does RMK recommend it to be facing the sheath and not be visible?

I'm sure that I am just confused and there is an easy answer to this question...does anyone know the answer???

Thanks
G Snyder RKS #63
RKCC

"REMEMBER, YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG BY COLLECTING OR OWNING THE BEST"

http://www.knife-collectibles.com

#100914 - 04/30/12 11:40 PM Re: My Stupid Question... [Re: boardrider]
Peter_Kaufman Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
You can specify which side you want the nameplate on with the exception of right hand finger grips, it is on the non trademark side and left hand finger grips it is on the trademark side. Model 14 finger grips either side

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#100915 - 05/01/12 12:20 AM Re: My Stupid Question... [Re: boardrider]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Like baseball...Label "up". Artwork, when it comes to Randall knives, usually goes on the trademark side of the blade as it presents best in a display case. It's always been that way. Most knifemakers that I have dealt with use the same logic, verses location in a sheath.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#101294 - 05/12/12 07:40 AM Re: My Stupid Question... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
giacomo Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Luxembourg
Hello Captain,
I want to order a knife with a Customer Supplied Red Tenite handle with the Wrist Thong option drilled in the handle material(not in a butt cap).
The use of Tenite like CW handle have the same limitation as G10?
I'm talking about the fact that is no more possible to order the Wrist Thong option on a G10 handle in a cut-down tang knife.
Comparing two same size(Medium/Large) blocks I have:
G10 weight 276 grams(9.73oz), Tenite 176 grams(6.21oz); they should be quite different in density.
Thanks for your time.
Giacomo.
RKS #5585

#101651 - 05/23/12 06:03 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
HALORANGER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FLORIDA
Capt,
I saw a lot of knives a the shop sale with the premium stag on it. Is this replacing the common type sambar stag or is it an option? The only time I've seen it was at the sale.
RKS#5929
HOG Member
www.bedgoodknives.com

#101655 - 05/23/12 09:16 AM Re: My Stupid Question... [Re: giacomo]
Knife Enthusiast

Giacamo,
A wrist thong is an option on any cuctomer wood...or shop-supplied wood for "any" CDT knife. A standard Model #14 (full, exposed tang model) comes with the wrist thong included. It will count as one of your 5 options on the CDT, as will the Tenite. I don't believe I've ever seen red tenite. Do you have a photo?
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#101656 - 05/23/12 09:21 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: HALORANGER]
Knife Enthusiast

According to Gary Randall, from now...on this special (dyed) stag, it will only be provided on knives made for the shop sale. Word coming down ealrier was that the shop was contemplating a $20 upcharge and taking customer orders for it. Apparently it is a bit too labor intensive to offer this option.
Hope this helps...It sure is nice stuff!
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#101663 - 05/23/12 05:45 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
HALORANGER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FLORIDA
Thanks Capt.
RKS#5929
HOG Member
www.bedgoodknives.com

#101677 - 05/25/12 04:40 AM Re: My Stupid Question... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
giacomo Offline
Just dropped in

Hello Captain,
red tenite is in the middle between cherry red micarta and orange G10.
Giacomo.

P.S. first time I try to enter a foto in a post, hope it will work.

Attachments
------IMG_1319.JPG

------IMG_1321.JPG

Edited by giacomo (05/25/12 04:44 AM)
RKS #5585

#101680 - 05/25/12 04:48 AM Re: My Stupid Question... [Re: giacomo]
giacomo Offline
Just dropped in

Captain,
I forgot to mention that if you type on ebay "red tenite block" you'll find where my block comes from.

Have a nice week-end.
Giacomo.
RKS #5585

Page 81 of 175 < 1 2 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod