Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187707 - 05/17/20 12:03 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Ask your children or grandchildren if they would rather have a couple of shares of stock or a Randall knife. I know what my bunch would say,and it ain't stocks.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#187713 - 05/17/20 11:05 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: LarryWW1246]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
This thread reminded me of a quotation:

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Molon Labe

#187724 - 05/18/20 10:00 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: BladesNBarrels]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
DIVERSIFY!

Stocks. Bonds. Mostly a combo of both via Mutual Funds.

And ...

RANDALL KNIVES!

grin

Seriously, I started buying Randall Knives, in the early 1980s,
because I love 'em. I have several that I've used, many more
that are Safe Queens. I'm pretty sure they all have increased
in value ... that's icing on the cake.

And Hey! ... When I cross over to the other side, you'll all have
a chance to buy my Randall Knives, and make my dear Wife a little richer!

smile
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#187727 - 05/18/20 12:57 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: TonyLaPetri]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Good going Tony!

Might as well do something we enjoy...knives or whatever...and not just digits on computers in the cloud!

Did you hear the Fed Chairman saying there is no limit to what they can do--meaning no limit to the creation of electronic money stored away and transacted without adding any creation of goods or services?

That should help to ensure that real thing like RMKs will have greater value in the future.

Happy Monday.
Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#187728 - 05/18/20 04:18 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: LarryWW1246]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Absolutely Larry!

Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#187755 - 05/19/20 11:49 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
I know Randall's will always command a nice value. I don't own any ivory or Vietnam era but I enjoy them nonetheless!

I need to get a 5-6 made with a supplied micarta...

#189074 - 07/18/20 05:26 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Leatherman]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
I have a friend, he works as a flaw detector, I told him about this story, he immediately offered to make an examination, it looks like this picture - the product must be cleaned, then it is poured with a special agent and placed in a magnetic field - all microcracks and similar traces will be visible under ultraviolet light, including those that are in the thickness of the metal and are not visible from the outside.

Here is an example of what it looks like on a steel shaft that has been hardened and then finely grinding after hardening. cracks are either a problem with improper hardening or improper cooling during the last grinding (no coolant)

Today I talked with a friend again, it turned out to be magnetic particle inspection - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgcD5k1494

there is also an interesting ultrasonic method, but I have not used this yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM6XKvXWVFA

IMHO If on sergeant are no traces of these hidden defects in the fracture region, then this may be too hard metal with a thin thickness, i.e. fragile in itself, if hardness is within normal limits for O1 - 55-59 HRC **, then this is a clear abuse of instrument smile

I conducted such an examination of my Randall 10-5(7) [[ I bought it as 10-5, but then it turned out that it was broken off 10-7 and then re-sharpened]], no defects, unfortunately we did not take a photo at that moment, 53-54 HRC, great knife, I use it constantly.

I don't remember what numbers were given for the Randalls, these figures are what my friend uses in his work with this steel for knives, i.e. it can be hardened up to 65 HRC, but this is only used in industrial equipment, where the load vectors are accurate and calculated for a specific structure, if you make such a knife for a person, it will most likely quickly break, unless it's a thin chef's knife that is used carefully.

#189089 - 07/18/20 03:45 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: desert.snake]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
If I worked for Randall and had to make a determination on it. It was used improperly , if the guy whined about customer service , I'd tell him we don't pay people to be customers and my first obligation is to Randall Knives.

#189092 - 07/19/20 01:19 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Kirko]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

after all the noise, the guy never sent it in

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Mr_Mod