James Behring Knives Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187684 - 05/15/20 09:46 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
"The shop historically doesn't "hire and fire" people as say might a fast food restaurant. Historically, folks have made careers out of becoming a cutler working for the company. In other words, there isn't a lot of turnover. It is more of a problem finding folks that are trainable and willing to work that hard."

That is a good policy, would be great if more companies operate that way.

Buying Randalls as an investment is probably not the best idea, but you would be a lot better of then having stocks at the moment, lol

I just buy them because I like them and the history behind them, nothing more or less. If the prices would go down, I would buy even more.

I again THINK that if Randall wanted to, they could hire more staff, If NASA can get astronauts, Randall can get good employees. But I guess they prefer it this way and they probably have good reasons for doing so. Anyway, I hope they stay in business for another 80 years or more!

#187685 - 05/15/20 09:54 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch—

I think we can all agree that the guy who broke his knife wanted to get attention from strangers…by going online with it without first having had an exchange with the shop.

If he did then go back to the shop as I think was mentioned in one of these posts, and after a fair exchange with them, did he get reasonable treatment given the circumstance?

That is all anybody could ask.

Remember the old warranty that Sears offered on their Craftsman tools? If you found a broken one laying in the gutter and took it in to them, they replaced it without question. And LL Bean…one example being the descendants of a man taking a 1940’s sleeping bag in and got it exchanged?

Who the heck can make and sell any product with a forever replacement warranty and stay in business? Especially since the maker has no control over how people actually use their products. Lots of us “make mistakes” or simply abuse the products we buy, and beyond some reasonable expectation of quality we have to accept responsibility for how we treat our property.

Note that Sears is now out of business (not merely due to its Craftsman warranty), and Bean no longer offers a “forever without question” replacement policy.

Did the man with the knife go back on the site and post info about his exchange with RMK? That would be a way he could man up and accept responsibility for how he used the knife and share his experience from dealing with the shop.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#187686 - 05/15/20 12:03 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: LarryWW1246]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
I managed a "Bake shop" for Publix for 38 years and never once referred to it as a "Bake Factory" however I did refer to cookies as "bakies" since we were Bakers and not cooks. My Brother had a gun shop not a gun factory

Edited by BOB_TEATES (05/15/20 12:12 PM)
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#187691 - 05/15/20 08:23 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: BOB_TEATES]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I'm enjoying this thread, to some extent. I take exception to RMK's not being a good retirement strategy or investment. Name one thing that has:
* Never gone down in value
* Keeps up (even +) with inflation
* Has been made, in an American shop, with American/same family ownership, making an American product for many decades.
* Sold "BRISKLY" even through all the shit we're going through right now!
My point: Everyone remembers Sept 11th, 2001. Who could forget it. On that morning. if you had taken $250.00 in cash, $250.00 of IBM stock and a $250.00 RMK Model #1 and put them in 3 shoe boxes and put them under your bed...what would you have today?
* $250.00 in cash in 1 box
* $167.50 (equivalent) in IBM stock
* $440.00 RMK #1...that you could sell, in an armadillo heartbeat for that or more! (& Uncle Sam wouldn't know anything about it)!
Sounds like one rock-solid investment to me!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Unless, of course, you took the Model #1 out and chipped the dog shit out of it hackin' on a limb...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#187693 - 05/15/20 11:56 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks Capt.
With all the cr*p going on today. You can put a smile on my face.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

#187696 - 05/16/20 12:54 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rigid54 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I'm enjoying this thread, to some extent. I take exception to RMK's not being a good retirement strategy or investment. Name one thing that has:
* Never gone down in value
* Keeps up (even +) with inflation
* Has been made, in an American shop, with American/same family ownership, making an American product for many decades.
* Sold "BRISKLY" even through all the shit we're going through right now!
My point: Everyone remembers Sept 11th, 2001. Who could forget it. On that morning. if you had taken $250.00 in cash, $250.00 of IBM stock and a $250.00 RMK Model #1 and put them in 3 shoe boxes and put them under your bed...what would you have today?
* $250.00 in cash in 1 box
* $167.50 (equivalent) in IBM stock
* $440.00 RMK #1...that you could sell, in an armadillo heartbeat for that or more! (& Uncle Sam wouldn't know anything about it)!
Sounds like one rock-solid investment to me!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Unless, of course, you took the Model #1 out and chipped the dog shit out of it hackin' on a limb...CCS

So I was told by a wise man, too long ago.
Amen brother!
NRA Life

#187698 - 05/16/20 02:32 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: rigid54]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
I guess it depends on what stock you purchased.......what if we crunch the numbers based on $250 worth of Apple stock purchased back in 2001?

#187699 - 05/16/20 03:45 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Doug74]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
His statement was on retirement investments & used IBM was a reference, as a lot of people invest in stocks for retirement.
I see it as hobby that most of us enjoy that in the end, IF You Collect, when you sell you will make money on them.
Although the people in it are hard to understand.......I have never spent time following a forum that I have very little good to say about what the forum is about.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#187700 - 05/16/20 07:32 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Chief]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I buy RMKs to compensate for wasting money on computer and phone junk. wink

#187701 - 05/16/20 07:39 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Chief]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

We know we can't use all the knives or whatever that we collect. We collect because we are interested and find the items appealing. And we usually stay in an area of collecting where we find interesting and friendly people who are honest.

I know I have left some areas where I got tired of interpersonal nonsense and strife and dishonesty. Glad to walk away from them.

As for alternative uses of the money, I can list places where I could have made lots more money than in my collecting, but that is hindsight...it was not foresight. For every Apple or Microsoft, there were hundreds of similar companies that were being hyped that no one remembers since they went belly up! At the time, it was a matter of luck to choose Apple or MSFT instead of an eventual loser, and to hold onto them through bad times.

As for IBM, the CEO of a company I had under subcontract had been a VP at IBM...and he constantly moaned about how much he had lost on IBM stock. I tried to tell him he might live long enough to recoup his money...but I don't think he did.

But...I still have RMKs I was buying at the time!

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod