dominionhobby.com Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187674 - 05/15/20 02:04 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Buck Buchanan]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Buck Buchanan

The owner did contact the Shop (I am continually correcting folks there on Facebook about the "Randall Factory"). He would have been better off to wait for the Shop to make a judgement call before asking the folks in the peanut gallery to pass judgement on "thumbs up or thumbs down".

Attachments
------Screenshot_20200515-015738_Facebook.jpg

#187675 - 05/15/20 04:13 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Wally]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
I love Randall but technically it is a factory...
Now don't get mad, please read the definition of both words in the dictionary.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/factory

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/shop

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/15/20 04:14 AM)

#187676 - 05/15/20 04:16 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So can we all agree to stop calling the Randall factory a shop?

Thanks!

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/15/20 04:20 AM)

#187677 - 05/15/20 04:29 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Just kidding about the factory part, but please read this article about marketing. This is what I meant, when I said that giving a new knife to this customer could be seen as a form of advertising.

The average company spends a lot on advertising!

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/much-money-average-company-spend-advertising-6766.html

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/15/20 04:51 AM)

#187678 - 05/15/20 05:43 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
I think these two definitions describe RMK better...

A factory is a building where workers use machines to make things for sale. It usually means a building where companies use mass production to make different things. Many of the same thing are made in a short amount of time.

We're kind if a throwback to old times because that's the way Bo, Gary, and now Michael and Jason continue to insist we continue to... "not fix what's not broken"

Beginning with the Industrial Revolution era, a workshop may be a room, rooms or building which provides both the area and tools that may be required for the manufacture or repair of manufactured goods. Workshops were the only places of production until the advent of industrialization and the development of larger factories. In the 20th and 21st century, many Western homes contain a workshop in the garage, basement, or an external shed. Home workshops typically contain a workbench, hand tools, power tools and other hardware. Along with their practical applications for repair goods or do small manufacturing runs, workshops are used to tinker and make prototypes

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#187679 - 05/15/20 06:13 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

We're kind if a throwback to old times because that's the way Bo, Gary, and now Michael and Jason continue to insist we continue to... "not fix what's not broken"

I couldn't agree more!

#187680 - 05/15/20 06:52 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I have my thoughts but looking for comments,discussion:

CHAIN SAW

#187681 - 05/15/20 07:37 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
....please read this article about marketing. This is what I meant, when I said that giving a new knife to this customer could be seen as a form of advertising.

The average company spends a lot on advertising!

I don' know that RMK needs a lesson in marketing, with a 5-6 year wait, but hey, what do I know. I don't believe RMK is "the average company", and is somewhat unique and as afaik, they do very little advertising. If my memory serves me, the only print add I recall seeing for many decades was the small running add in Blade Magazine.

I mentioned this previously and I don't want to rehash, but in this instance, for the sake of clarity, do you think this is the first guy to f**k up a knife by misuse?

I can only guess at your reasoning (beyond the "marketing" angle) is because of the nature of how this went down on fb and all the negative hoopla that went on. I am helping you out here, cuz the "marketing" angle is a loser.

I look at it that if in fact the knife proves to have been in proper condition when it left the shop in both metallurgy and assembly, and prepared to be used as it was designed to be used, replacing the knife for a person that admittedly misused the knife is simply rewarding a poor decision by that individual.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#187682 - 05/15/20 08:16 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"I don' know that RMK needs a lesson in marketing, with a 5-6 year wait, but hey, what do I know."

I THINK a part of the waiting list is based on people who think the ordered knife will be worth more in 5 years. Of course there are also a lot of people who don't know of the existence of dealers. Or they like to order knives on special dates, like their birthday or something.

Meanwhile I see a few dealer sites at this moment with a lot of Randall's for sale.

It wouldn't be good for the price, if by example Randall would double it's production at this moment. The market could get flushed, especially in this time of crisis. Trickling the knives in to the market and keeping them a little exclusive, is what makes people want them even more. Nothing wrong with that and it is a good market strategy (assuming it is one?). It has indeed worked for many years. And by having a back-order list, you never have to hire or fire people when sales go up or down.

But times are changing and since the average age of the Randall collector is 101 laugh you can't only rely on results from the past.

I don't know how many requests Randall gets from people who abused there knives and ask for a replacement, but I can't imagine it being that many. What I meant with marketing strategy is, that having a name as a company with great customer service in itself is great advertising. With the internet one happy or unhappy costumer can have a much greater effect as in days past.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/15/20 08:19 AM)

#187683 - 05/15/20 08:58 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If you are depending on ordering and acquiring a Randall knife as part of your retirement portfolio, you may want to get a different financial advisor.

That being said, folks order knives for a myriad of reasons.

The reason RMK has a wait is very simple. That have limited production capabilities for a couple of reasons, the most important being to maintain the quality Bo Randall wanted to deliver starting in 1937. That may be the most important "marketing" strategy of all.

The shop historically doesn't "hire and fire" people as say might a fast food restaurant. Historically, folks have made careers out of becoming a cutler working for the company. In other words, there isn't a lot of turnover. It is more of a problem finding folks that are trainable and willing to work that hard.

There aren't too many folks claiming "poor heat treatment", and I haven't called to ask, but I am sure there have been a few, and some may have been legitimate. Ultimately, you would hope that a person that buys a knife would know what they are buying if for, and if to use, would have the common sense to use the knife for that purpose, the reason they chose that specific model in the first place.

All becomes moot when you take a thin bevel skinning knife and use it as a hatchet.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod