Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187659 - 05/14/20 05:01 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The picture says it all, I mean did anyone else think that a limb that size should be "chopped" with a knife.
I would be willing to bet that if he wouldn't have broken the blade his arm would have given out before he cut through!
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#187661 - 05/14/20 06:01 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Chief]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
What makes me wonder is how many other knives were in the same heat treatment batch.

#187662 - 05/14/20 06:17 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Leatherman]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Can anybody out there please translate this in a language Ben would understand? Evidently English is not good for him...

"Before it leaves our shop, the cutting edge of every Randall Made™ knife is carefully honed by hand, ready to use for its intended purpose. However, the bevel and edge of a knife designed for cutting skin and flesh are much different from those used to hack bone or other hard materials.

Using a fine hunting knife for an axe will naturally damage its cutting edge. And pounding, prying, or throwing a knife not designed for these purposes is likely to damage it."

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#187664 - 05/14/20 08:06 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Dirty_Water]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
I don't understand why my straight razor chipped when I tried to chop down a stop sign
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#187665 - 05/14/20 08:13 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: BOB_TEATES]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Originally Posted By: BOB_TEATES
I don't understand why my straight razor chipped when I tried to chop down a stop sign

That's good. Lol.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#187666 - 05/14/20 08:14 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: BOB_TEATES]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Another voice heard from, as a mechanical engineer, I know a bit about metals.
First it looks like there are two separate places where the knife edge chipped, perhaps the user might have stopped chopping after it chipped the first time.

A knife is made for cutting, an axe for chopping, two distinct operations which require different edge geometries, heat treats and hardness. To use one for the purpose it is not designed for will give less than optimum results.

My two cents

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#187669 - 05/14/20 08:34 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Wally]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Maybe he watched a bunch of Rambo movies at one point in his life.

Question: If you ran into a cotton-mouth snake in the woods, what are you going to do with this knife? Pin the head with a stick and cut the snake's head off?

You would be a busy guy, and would kill a lot of snakes minding their own business, if you decided to kill each one with your Randall Knife that you saw.

Tom V.

Edited by Tom Vaught (05/14/20 08:35 PM)

#187670 - 05/14/20 09:22 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Tom Vaught]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Tom V. Now that's funny!
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#187671 - 05/14/20 09:22 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Dirty_Water]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Love you too Scott...

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Can anybody out there please translate this in a language Ben would understand? Evidently English is not good for him...

"Before it leaves our shop, the cutting edge of every Randall Made™ knife is carefully honed by hand, ready to use for its intended purpose. However, the bevel and edge of a knife designed for cutting skin and flesh are much different from those used to hack bone or other hard materials.

Using a fine hunting knife for an axe will naturally damage its cutting edge. And pounding, prying, or throwing a knife not designed for these purposes is likely to damage it."

#187672 - 05/14/20 09:32 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Tom Vaught]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Tom Vaught
Maybe he watched a bunch of Rambo movies at one point in his life.

Question: If you ran into a cotton-mouth snake in the woods, what are you going to do with this knife? Pin the head with a stick and cut the snake's head off?

You would be a busy guy, and would kill a lot of snakes minding their own business, if you decided to kill each one with your Randall Knife that you saw.

Tom V.

Ya, I didn't get into the fact that this guy is apparently a snake wrangler to boot! Most likely in the vein of Steve Irwin (RIP) without a doubt.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod