Randall Knife Collectors Club Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187642 - 05/14/20 08:16 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
Originally Posted By: rigid54
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
If you were a betting man ...............

I’d put money on; the shop says “sorry about your loss”.

Just like with the people who got scammed by Rick Ward you mean?

If the shop is smart and want to stay in business for the following decades, they will give him and others in similar situations a new knife. That is called standing behind your product, even if the knife
is not 100 % treated the way it should. But he wasn't trying to lift a car with it or something similar. If you give him a new knife you have a customer who will spread the word, that Randall stands behind there products!

The world is changing (especially with the gigantic recession that is awaiting us) we have young people at the moment who buy new knives (also expensive ones) and many of them have never heard of Randall Made Knives. Let's hope they learn about Randall by reading great stories about the knives and the way the company does business.
Otherwise I see the popularity of Randall and along with that the prices, coming down big time in the future. Not good for us collectors!

The internet is an unforgiving place as some of you may know.
You don't want to many of these negative stories popping up when somebody uses a searche engine on Google or on one of the other forums.

Even if the knife was misused in the eyes of most experienced knife people and Randall staff, it wasn't a destruction test. Randalls have a reputation of being the best and that they are using the best materials.

It even says so on the Randall site. That could also be a reason that people think, that a knife with such a reputation can take (in their eyes) a relative normal task for some knife types of chopping of a tree limb. Not everything is done with bad intentions.

Give the guy a new knife and you have a happy customer, refuse him and you will probably have many more of these topics started by a frustrated customer, who probably will bring the subject of Randall quality and customer service up a lot more in the future. By not doing so, Randall is in my opinion Penny wise but Dollar stupid.

Apples and oranges bringing Rick Ward into the equation. That being said, the following is quoted from the Randall catalog. I think it pretty much sums it up, and actually describes the situation at hand. This is not the first time some nimrod as f**ked up a knife in this fashion.

"Before it leaves our shop, the cutting edge of every Randall Made™ knife is carefully honed by hand, ready to use for its intended purpose. However, the bevel and edge of a knife designed for cutting skin and flesh are much different from those used to hack bone or other hard materials.

Using a fine hunting knife for an axe will naturally damage its cutting edge. And pounding, prying, or throwing a knife not designed for these purposes is likely to damage it
."

After reading this from the catalog, it is difficult for me to understand how any intellectually honest person can assign fault on RMK, whether the temper, heat treat, or whatever other term all the metallurgists, machinists, knife makers, et. al. coming out of the woodwork want to use, was substandard being the reason this slight hunting knife failed as a hatchet.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#187643 - 05/14/20 08:38 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
"Apples and oranges bringing Rick Ward into the equation."

I see similarities. In that case the shop also didn't offer much help, did they? In my opinion that is also short sighted
and failing customer service! I would have expected more from Randall. Or let them issue a warning that they are not responsible for there AUTHORIZED dealers.

I agree that using the knife in this way isn't smart but you will always have those kind of customers. The question is in my opinion, should Randall see a once in a while broken knife and replacing it, as the price of doing business and keeping a good name as a company, that delivers great customer service, or want to save a few dollars by not offering a replacement knife...

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/14/20 02:18 PM)

#187645 - 05/14/20 10:11 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You are completely discounting what I posted from their catalog. Right there in black and white it tells you NOT to do what he did. So this clown goes ahead and does it, and somehow Randall Made is supposed to accommodate this nimrod? I simply don't understand this logic.

Do you know how many calls they get because a knife isn't sharp enough. The spacers look like the wrong color. My stag isn't dark enough. The stamp on the blade isn't perfect. I could go on and on and on.

So to expect them to honor a warranty for something they explicitly state not to do is baffling.

If your automobile is designed to run on and requires you to use 93 Octane gasoline and it is clearly stated in the owner's manual, but you use 89 Octane gasoline and the car runs like shit, is it the auto maker's fault? Good luck with that.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#187647 - 05/14/20 10:40 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
I get what you are saying and mostly agree, but it would be great for the name of the brand, to help even these kind of customers. I assume a knife breaking/chipping doesn't happen every day. Try to see it as advertising. Like RCBS, they are well known for their customer service and that is why people stay loyal to the brand.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/14/20 01:57 PM)

#187648 - 05/14/20 11:32 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sphinx3000]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

yes, a kumbaya moment would be nice, but if you think this is the first guy to misuse a blade, think again.

Should RMK, simply to be "good guys", honor a warranty on one of their products for every moron that uses one of their products in a fashion it wasn't designed for, and blatatnly flies in the face of the published user's guide that identifies proper use? All this compounded by the fact he goes on facebook and acts stupid like "What did I do wrong??", This shouldn't happen!", basically creating an avenue for all the armchair metallurgists, machinists, and such (never knew so many existed) to chime in with the "expertise", prior to even contacting the company for advice on how to proceed.

Let me post this a second time:

"Before it leaves our shop, the cutting edge of every Randall Made™ knife is carefully honed by hand, ready to use for its intended purpose. However, the bevel and edge of a knife designed for cutting skin and flesh are much different from those used to hack bone or other hard materials.

Using a fine hunting knife for an axe will naturally damage its cutting edge. And pounding, prying, or throwing a knife not designed for these purposes is likely to damage it
."

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#187649 - 05/14/20 12:32 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Not everyone reads the fine print...or "any" of the print for that matter. My only bitch about this is going to social media with it "FIRST"! I've got my own battle going on with a (now former) customer which has been taken to the computer, in fact to several sources, prior to coming to me. "THAT" kinda shit I "JUST DON'T GET"!!
I would also argue this guy loses a lot of his argument by going "social" 1st. We shall see...but I'm not calling him a Moron...just yet.
Best, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (05/14/20 12:32 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#187650 - 05/14/20 01:02 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Capt, Chris, Anyone with a gripe with you is just wrong, no “but” in this sentence.

#187651 - 05/14/20 01:16 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Eric]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
My Grandpa Joe who was in the auto industry in Michigan used to say.. " If ya can keep 80% of the people Happy 80% of the time ... You're doing a Helluva Job"!

Also... even from 13 + with the Walt Disney Company... Not ALL customers are always right. Sometimes... Ya gotta let them walk!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#187652 - 05/14/20 01:20 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Eric]
rigid54 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NC, USA
Actually Capt., as you well know, the “Certification & Guarantee” is highlighted in yellow, in the catalog.

That being said; I stand by my statement. I believe the only honorable response from the “Shop” would be to stand by their written word.
NRA Life

#187654 - 05/14/20 01:27 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: rigid54]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The pertinent line from the referenced guarantee:

"We warrant that each Randall Made life is free from defects in manufacture and will be replaced should any appear, when in use by original owner"

This begs the question, where and/or what is the defect?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod