Randall Knife Collectors Club Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187622 - 05/13/20 09:00 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Leatherman]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I don't know how you can make that determination from a photo. This is what I am looking for someone to explain to me.

That particular grind has a very thin bevel to the edge. You get it buried in something and apply the right amount of pressure and torque the blade, and wa la.

Not to mention, again, the 15 strikes with that thin edge.

I can only imagine how hard he was striking with that very light knife, the momentum the blade had to get it to even penetrate the branch to any degree. It is apparent that if he had to strike 15 times and probably half way thru if lucky, something wasn't going as he inexplicably thought it would. Perhaps he just swung it harder and harder until it chipped.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#187626 - 05/13/20 09:42 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I can only imagine

I think this is true for everyone that has shared an opinion on this situation. The owner has contacted the shop. They will adjudicate.

#187628 - 05/13/20 09:58 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: tunefink]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If you were a betting man ...............

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#187629 - 05/13/20 10:39 PM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Some things are not meant to be wacked!!
Some things are made for wacking!
Maybe slicing and cutting are better knife use?
Some things are better sawn
I don't do wacking often but when I do I use a Fireman
I'm sure the shop will be more than fair
Sharpi

#187630 - 05/14/20 12:14 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Sharpi]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I plead Forest Gump.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#187631 - 05/14/20 02:21 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: pappy19]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
There are many $14.99 made in China machetes that one can go to the woods and use to wack & thrash all day. This appears to be a significant case of gomerism.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#187634 - 05/14/20 05:26 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: Duke]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
This dude needs to have a folding saw.

#187636 - 05/14/20 06:27 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: crutchtip]
rigid54 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NC, USA

I’d put money on; the shop says “sorry about your loss”.
NRA Life

#187639 - 05/14/20 07:36 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: rigid54]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: rigid54

I’d put money on; the shop says “sorry about your loss”.

Just like with the people who got scammed by Rick Ward you mean?

If the shop is smart and want to stay in business for the following decades, they will give him and others in similar situations a new knife. That is called standing behind your product, even if the knife
is not 100 % treated the way it should. But he wasn't trying to lift a car with it or something similar. If you give him a new knife you have a customer who will spread the word, that Randall stands behind their products!

The world is changing (especially with the gigantic recession that is awaiting us) we have young people at the moment who buy new knives (also expensive ones) and many of them have never heard of Randall Made Knives. Let's hope they learn about Randall by reading great stories about the knives and the way the company does business.
Otherwise I see the popularity of Randall and along with that the prices, coming down big time in the future. Not good for us collectors!

The internet is an unforgiving place as some of you may know.
You don't want to many of these negative stories popping up when somebody uses a search engine on Google or on one of the other forums.

Even if the knife was misused in the eyes of most experienced knife people and Randall staff, it wasn't a destruction test. Randalls have a reputation of being the best and that they are using the best materials.

It even says so on the Randall site. That could also be a reason that people think, that a knife with such a reputation can take (in their eyes) a relative normal task for some knife types of chopping of a tree limb. Not everything is done with bad intentions.

Give the guy a new knife and you have a happy customer. Refuse him and you will probably have many more of these topics started by a frustrated customer, who probably will bring the subject of Randall quality and customer service up a lot more in the future. By not doing so, Randall is in my opinion Penny wise and pound foolish.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/14/20 02:16 PM)

#187641 - 05/14/20 07:58 AM Re: Abuse, faulty blade, or a combination? [Re: tunefink]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sharpi
Some things are not meant to be wacked!!
Some things are made for wacking!

Sharpi

Not certain how to take take that!

Originally Posted By: tunefink
I don't think this or any other forum can hold up the "superior" card when it comes to pissing contests. There have been many here.......

The Facebook group has 40-50 fold the active members as here. You are likely to have more opinions.

With far more of the members there having absolutely no clue about Randall Knives, or cutlery in general. Case in point is the guy that dinged up his knife, the subject of this thread.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod