Nifeboy.com Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185075 - 12/23/19 02:09 PM Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap.
Gordon Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: West Virginia
Would replacing an existing aluminum butt cap on a Randall 23 with a leather handle with a brass butt cap be a job the Randall shop would do? Or would this fall under re-handling which I think is unavailable at this time?
Just curious,I think brass and leather are made for each other.

Gordon.

#185076 - 12/23/19 05:02 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Gordon]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Fayetteville NC
Gordon,

I’m pretty sure the Randall Shop does not exchange butt caps which falls into the realm of rehandling their knives. The Capt can verify or refute my understanding.

Some here including me, will recommend James Behring, who shares the Forum.
Quite a number of folks here have had James customize their Randalls.

Edited by Buck Buchanan (12/23/19 05:08 PM)
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com

#185077 - 12/23/19 05:28 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Buck Buchanan]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
A "less painful" option might be to simply trade it with one of the dealers that has a Model23 on the way soon, ask that the order be adjusted to brass butt cap.

Depends on how attached you are to existing knife and all that, of course.

#185079 - 12/23/19 06:49 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Windsor]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The shop will not replace it, as Buck stated....Merry Christmas!
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#185083 - 12/23/19 11:35 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rob,

That idea depends on the amount of time lapse when the dealer places his order. Usually Mindy will allow a few weeks from the date of order submitted.

After the grace period, no changes can take place. Once a knife order is placed on the production schedule, “it is written in stone”.

A couple of months after submitting an order for a trio of Model 12-9” Sportsman’s Bowies, I noticed that one of the three Bowies on the acknowledgement from Mindy was missing the “#14G”, designating Model #14 grind on the blade.

When I called Mindy to have it corrected, she rightly said, too much time had passed and the Bowies were “locked in” to the schedule.

So, I learned an expensive lesson by not getting what I planned. The blessing in disguise was it was for my inventory and not a customer’s. Here they are with the Bowie clip blade flanked by the two with #14 grind. All three come with black sheaths and Model 25 handles. Renaissance Wax is on the blades.

Attachments
------521B375E-A416-46B5-A255-53025950897B.jpeg

Edited by Buck Buchanan (12/23/19 11:40 PM)
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
buck100_10x@icloud.com

#185085 - 12/24/19 05:09 AM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Buck Buchanan]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Buck Buchanan
Rob,

That idea depends on the amount of time lapse when the dealer places his order. Usually Mindy will allow a few weeks from the date of order submitted.

After the grace period, no changes can take place. Once a knife order is placed on the production schedule, “it is written in stone”.

A couple of months after submitting an order for a trio of Model 12-9” Sportsman’s Bowies, I noticed that one of the three Bowies on the acknowledgement from Mindy was missing the “#14G”, designating Model #14 grind on the blade.

When I called Mindy to have it corrected, she rightly said, too much time had passed and the Bowies were “locked in” to the schedule.

So, I learned an expensive lesson by not getting what I planned. The blessing in disguise was it was for my inventory and not a customer’s. Here they are with the Bowie clip blade flanked by the two with #14 grind. All three come with black sheaths and Model 25 handles. Renaissance Wax is on the blades.

All three are beauties!

#185093 - 12/24/19 07:16 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: mic214]
Cut it out Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Just a quick question. I think I read that the shop won’t replace a leather handle. Just wondering if true and why not. I mean if it was damaged somehow. not to just change it. Like if somehow the leather got ruined would they replace The Leather to fix it for you if you wanted to pay them To do it.

#185094 - 12/24/19 07:31 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Cut it out]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Of course my friend, we've replaced leather handles when chewed up by pets and some have had water damage to where the handle was rendered useless...etc...but we do reserve the right of refusal...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#185095 - 12/24/19 08:09 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Buck Buchanan]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: Buck Buchanan
Rob,

But this wasn't your first or last order with a 12-9, right?

Sounds to me like it's merely a matter of timing (and waiting) to get in on whichever order with a model 23 that is before "point of no return" takes place (and not otherwise spoken for).

#185097 - 12/24/19 10:09 PM Re: Opinions on replacing aluminum butt cap. [Re: Windsor]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rob,

It will be less time and effort to contact James Behring Knives and have them switch the butt caps probably within six months.
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
buck100_10x@icloud.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod