Nifeboy.com Clinton Knives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18395 - 05/03/07 07:36 PM 4" BackPocket #4
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC
For those of you that don't visit another knife discussion venue, I thought I'd share the following thread which I had posted. (If you do visit the other site, don't feel obligated to post here as well unless you feel like it.)

Some days the stars just line up, the black cat crosses the street to avoid you and you can almost convince yourself that you must be living right.

Today is one of those days for me.

It started out good because I was able to sell some production pieces that I no longer needed in my collection. I had a good workout, felt good and while sitting at the computer I look out the window and see the mail truck pulling up...

...But hold on, I'm not waiting for any packages...So I go outside to find out why the mail lady's pulling into my drive.

Tells me I got a box to sign for. Huh? Okay, sure, but...then I see it..., my pulse quickens, my eyes narrow into a tunnel vision broad enough only to make out the sender's name...Tony Bose.

Are you kidding me?

Let me digress a little. A couple months back I had occasion to call Tony when he was looking for some info on a beautiful stag Russell barlow he owns. That phone conversation engendered a friendly relationship which has since been conducted via email and occasionally by phone.

Attempting to pin Tony down on the subject of getting on a list to have a knife made proved about as easy as squashing mercury under your thumb. (Probably only us older fellas get that one.)

Then after a few good natured emails back and forth during which I was played like a fish rising to the bait, I was ready to concede defeat. Chances were that I wasn't about to see a Tony Bose knife unless I was lucky enough to find one through a dealer.

Yet one Sunday morning my wife hands me the phone and says there's someone named Tony Bose on the phone. (There, that'll humble ya a bit, Tony, just in case your hat don't fit. ) So, he asks me if he got me riled up? I had to admit he had, all in good humored fun. He then proceeds to tell me he has one heat treated blade unaccounted for and he might be able to make me a knife. Huh? What? Well, yeah...

So, in the end after a bunch of back and forth we decided (well, actually, Tony decided for me) that a 4" BackPocket in CPM 440V (S60V) would be just the ticket. Oh yeah, I can work with that, especially in stag with a federal shield, half stops...

...And that's just what arrived. In a box smelling of tobacco, inside a plastic bag which included the severed corner of a paperback book to show that just maybe this baby was sharp. (And it is, though I haven't needed the included band-aid (yet).

Now, keep in mind that it has been raining, my hands are shaking, my pulse is racing but there was no way I wasn't going to share some of my lousy shots just to give an inkling of how nice this knife is. (It exceeded my expectations, if that helps any. These pix will not do justice.)

So, here are some pix. (I'll get better ones sometime, but I sure as hell ain't letting it out of my sight to have 'em done professionally, I can tell you that.)

So there ya go...I kinda feel (almost) like I have arrived and joined some special club...

...Can you tell I'm just a llttle bit excited?

Thank you, Tony. Thanks for making a 54 year old man feel like a kid that just got away with something.

Blues' Knife Pix

#18396 - 05/03/07 07:55 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Great knife Blues...Hope you get a lot of use out of it

#18397 - 05/03/07 08:03 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: John_Nugent]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, John.

Blues' Knife Pix

#18398 - 05/03/07 09:32 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
MRobuck Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Congrats again. Must have been quite the look on your face when you opened it.

Mike

#18399 - 05/03/07 09:55 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: MRobuck]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Congrats again. Must have been quite the look on your face when you opened it.

Mike

Mike,

It was a Kodak moment, for sure!

Blues' Knife Pix

#18400 - 05/03/07 11:51 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
fasteddie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Congrats!! A fine knife with a story to boot. Doesn't get better than that. Hope you're gonna carry and use it. That's what its built for.

#18401 - 05/04/07 06:36 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: fasteddie]
Whiteman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great Snag!!! That's what I will be carrying at ATL..Its my favorite!! Super Pics!!

R

#18402 - 05/04/07 08:29 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Whiteman]
richs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

GREAT LOOKING KNIFE from a really GREAT knifemaker!!!! RICHS

#18403 - 05/04/07 11:23 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: richs]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, guys. Tony deserves all the credit for being the artist he is and the generous soul to have given me a chance to own one of his creations.

BTW, the closed length on this baby is actually 4 1/8". The blade comes in at 3 1/4" (bolster to tip).

To me, this is a perfect size for pocket carry and utility and it feels remarkably light and balanced in the hand.

Blues' Knife Pix

#18404 - 05/04/07 09:10 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
Looks like you're smiling over here too . Good things come to those who wait and the wait is over.

#18405 - 05/05/07 11:19 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: kdhampton]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, Kerry. Yeah, I think I'll be smiling for a few more days yet.

Blues' Knife Pix

#18406 - 05/09/07 07:00 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hi Blues,

Just saw this post. Wow!!! That is one terrific knife. I have one by Tony in stag and love it.. Enjoy it in good health and make sure you carry it. I use a pouch and I think that is ok. But, expect ribbing by Tony if you tell him...

#18407 - 05/09/07 07:16 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Bob_Glassman]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, Bob. (It's a nice companion to that J.B. Moore wharncliffe trapper I received from you not too long ago.)

Tony failed to admonish me about the use of pouches, so I hope he'll come on here and set the record straight. Jeez, the things a guy needs to know just to keep up around here!

(Of course, I thought the use of a pouch was just to prevent putting holes in your pants, not to protect some ol' knife... )

Blues' Knife Pix

#18408 - 05/09/07 10:05 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Bob_Glassman]
Tony Bose Offline
Knifemaker

Quote:

Hi Blues,

Just saw this post. Wow!!! That is one terrific knife. I have one by Tony in stag and love it.. Enjoy it in good health and make sure you carry it. I use a pouch and I think that is ok. But, expect ribbing by Tony if you tell him...

Girls use pouches!

#18409 - 05/09/07 10:32 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Tony Bose]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well, I was gonna say kick me in the ass and call me Mary but I must've been thinking of someone else...

Blues' Knife Pix

#18410 - 05/10/07 05:59 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

See?? Told ya so...

#18411 - 05/10/07 08:08 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Tony Bose]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
'course, there is an Aintgirly Waiver(BoseKnives Form 100a) for qualifying users who have all their available pockets full of knives. The use of a pouch is acceptable in that situation, that is if you are carrying said waiver on your person at all times. You have already seen the punishment for simply TALKING about pouches without the waiver. Multiply that by 10 if you actually USE a pouch.

#18412 - 05/10/07 08:09 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Bob_Glassman]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So...Are these PocketKnives or PouchKnives?....Like a designer handbag?

#18413 - 05/10/07 09:43 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Tony Bose]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Kerry, send me one of those forms will ya so I can escape the rantings of an old dog !!!!!!

#18414 - 05/10/07 11:30 AM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: kdhampton]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tough crowd. (I like it.)

I can see the "Wilfred Works Gazette" headline now:

Bose Says "No" To Knife Condoms (pictures, story p.3)

Blues' Knife Pix

#18415 - 05/10/07 09:02 PM Re: 4" BackPocket #4 [Re: Blues]
poolshark Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco, California
Nice story and pics. That sure looks like a nice one to have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton