Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182886 - 08/28/19 09:40 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: coachblalock]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Gary:

I have to also worry about hogs rooting up my yard, breaking pipes, etc. My Mini 14 is loaded with Hog Hammers for them.

I live a half mile off the highway back in the woods WITH the hogs.

Coach

#182888 - 08/28/19 10:20 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: coachblalock]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
Coach... is that bacon I smell?

I hope they make good eating...

Gary

#182889 - 08/28/19 10:32 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: escapement]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Just sayin it don't go bang but I have a Randall Combat Companion
within arms reach also.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#182892 - 08/29/19 06:32 AM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: escapement]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: escapement
Coach... is that bacon I smell?

I hope they make good eating...

Gary

The big hogs are nasty.

If I can catch a sow with little pigs in my trap, the pigs are really good. You have to feed them cow milk and cracked corn for 3-4 weeks.

Then dress them like you would a squirrel, and them smoke them whole in the smoker.

Winter is best, especially right after a hard freeze. Hot Summertime like we are having right now is out of the question.

#182895 - 08/29/19 09:10 AM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: coachblalock]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I edited my above post with pictures just now.

#182905 - 08/29/19 09:24 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: Windsor]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Originally Posted By: Windsor
Underwood M1 carbine in aftermarket folding stock, ultimak rail clamped to barrel, Leupold red-dot sight on the rail.

Stupid easy to put the red triangle on the target, day or night

When I was a 10-year-old kid WWII had not been over but about 14 or 15 years. Our downtown was our playground including the Army-Navy store.

There was a plethora of WWII war surplus. I remember a barrel of M-1 Carbine folding stocks. We would grab one and run around the store pretending to fire at each other. Mr. O'Kelly was OK with that as long as we put the stocks back in the barrel before we left.

If I remember correctly the price of those stocks was $5.00.

I did have an original M-1 Carbine paratrooper I bought in a silent auction from our local historical society that had been donated by a big collector. I have since moved it on to someone that wanted it more than I did.

Attachments
------marzo200607.jpg

Edited by tomthbomb (08/29/19 09:27 PM)
RKS #4868

#182906 - 08/29/19 09:43 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: coachblalock]
W Polidori Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
I'm just gonna say it makes me feel lucky to live here. Bout our only issue is one of the neighbors cows that apparently didn't know what an electronic fence is or cared. One poop on Deb's tennis court would be interesting LOL. Under the circumstances this our only property intruder and the case was settled without incident.
So I see Coach has a wild animal property issue. I'd have at least what he has and possibly more. But I worry about where some of you guys live looking at what you need for protection. Again, I feel very safe here. Not so for others around our country.

#182935 - 08/30/19 08:16 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: W Polidori]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

With all of the Meth and the Opioids out there, bad stuff could happen just about anywhere.

Nobody in their right mind would come down to my place unannounced, but “right mind “ is the key.

#182940 - 08/30/19 08:58 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: tomthbomb]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: tomthbomb
Originally Posted By: Windsor
Underwood M1 carbine in aftermarket folding stock, ultimak rail clamped to barrel, Leupold red-dot sight on the rail.

Stupid easy to put the red triangle on the target, day or night

When I was a 10-year-old kid WWII had not been over but about 14 or 15 years. Our downtown was our playground including the Army-Navy store.

There was a plethora of WWII war surplus. I remember a barrel of M-1 Carbine folding stocks. We would grab one and run around the store pretending to fire at each other. Mr. O'Kelly was OK with that as long as we put the stocks back in the barrel before we left.

If I remember correctly the price of those stocks was $5.00.

I did have an original M-1 Carbine paratrooper I bought in a silent auction from our local historical society that had been donated by a big collector. I have since moved it on to someone that wanted it more than I did.

(warning, long story follows)

I bought this Underwood (and a couple of others) from the last CMP Great Carbine sale. By the time I got into it, all of the Service Grades were gone, so Rack Grade or worse for me. The Underwood was the last one I got, they ran dry before my "foldin' money" filled up enough to get another. When I got it, the stock was all shriveled up, like "they" (where ever it came from) packed it in dirt road dust. It even had that "dirt road dust" color.

I decided that I'll work on restoring the wood "soon" (which hasn't happened yet), but in the meanwhile get one of those cheap-ish aftermarket paratrooper stocks. After that arrived, it evolved into what it is today.

First time I took it to the range, all kinds of FTF and stove-piping. I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning, pulling funky stuff from every nook and cranny.

Next time at the range, it ran perfect, banging away with Agula ammo in 15rnd magazines with nary a problem.

For that range-day, took the BHP (Israeli Police turn-in), 1942 "byf" Luger, Hi-Standard target pistol, and this M1 Carbine. I let the two boys (now 21 and 28) and a friend of the older son have time with each. The Carbine was by far the favorite.

It would be nice to find a barrel of surplus Carbine parts again, but that market is long gone, sadly. Hell, can't even get surplus M16A1/M16A2 parts these days.

#183252 - 09/08/19 02:27 PM Re: Home Defense Gun... [Re: Billy Poyner]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
You can’t beat a 590A1 for HD……

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman