dominionhobby.com Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182801 - 08/25/19 04:23 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: pappy19]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
If they swim up to you, poke them in the nose.

#182802 - 08/25/19 04:46 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Windsor]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
Never seen or heard a wolf where I'm at, I think they're more northern than me.I've only seen 3 black bears in the wild,while delivering mail,all on the side of the road. Slowed down to good look at them, and their gone in the blink of an eye. Shocking how fast they can move.
Also have large cats here(puma, mt.lion, whatever), never seen one, suppose to be relatively common in the UP, but somebody got a nice picture of one down on the northern outskirts of Lansing. Maybe I should rethink this and get a sasquatch or Smithsonian.lol

#182803 - 08/25/19 05:20 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Hi Brent,

I asked a similar question of the group a while back and got a lot a great advice. I was looking for kayaking and other activities around water. My two main criteria were a stainless blade and a full tang. I also wanted a full finger grip for use with wet environments and I was up in the air about saw teeth. I had a Model 16 that served me well back in the day, but I wanted something a little smaller for packing on the boat.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=174660&page=1

At the time, I had my choices narrowed down to either a Combat Companion or a Model 15. The responses had me taking a hard look at Model 5’s and also the Model 28.

After reading all the replies I got and taking everything into consideration, I ended up going with what my idea of what a “Short Diver’s” knife should be, which is a stainless Model 15 with a full finger grip handle, single hilt, thumb notches and saw teeth.

I placed my order for it with the Captain back in November, so I am hoping to have it in hand in a couple of months:)!

#182811 - 08/26/19 04:00 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: mic214]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
The past year we have had 6 dogs attacked by coyotes while being walked. This was in suburbia,not the woods. Three dogs died and the remainder were injured.

Three women were attacked by a rabid bobcat,again,in the suburbs.

The state fish & game says that we don't have a coyote problem. These are the same folks that said there are no cougar/mountain lions in the state. Until one got hit and killed by a car on a major highway.

The state then did a DNA on it and said that it was from South Dakota. I guess he was just visiting for the week end.

A knife won't help you with this stuff. Consider your choices wisely.

Wayne

#182812 - 08/26/19 05:14 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
This knife will clipped to my PFD and used for cutting whatever needs cutting, probably mostly fishing line and such.Used mainly for day fishing, nothing overnight. For overnights, I usually have my 5-6,stuffed into whatever bag I'm using, along with my .38, with a couple of reloads. If the 10-3 doesn't "cut it", I'll move up to something in between. Really like a CC, fully tricked out, stainless,saw teeth, micarta SFG,wrist thong.

#182817 - 08/26/19 07:58 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Brent
perfect knife for PFD
Model 7
When your having Pork For Dinner

Sharpi

Attachments
------Randall PFD.jpg

#182823 - 08/26/19 08:22 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Brent
This knife will clipped to my PFD and used for cutting whatever needs cutting, probably mostly fishing line and such.Used mainly for day fishing, nothing overnight. For overnights, I usually have my 5-6,stuffed into whatever bag I'm using, along with my .38, with a couple of reloads. If the 10-3 doesn't "cut it", I'll move up to something in between. Really like a CC, fully tricked out, stainless,saw teeth, micarta SFG,wrist thong.

The CC with stainless, sawteeth SFG and wrist thong would sounds perfect. I was very close to going with that set up!

#182829 - 08/26/19 08:39 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: mic214]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After your original post, I went back through the catalogue and identified several models that might work just fine for this.

Looking for what might be desirable features that would come standard without having to pay for options or using up the five-option limit.

The Combat Companion Full Tang comes in Stainless with Wrist Thong already. Black Micarta standard. Border Patrol handle standard. The standard Double Hilt could be ordered as a Single Hilt (if that is the personal preference) at no extra charge. The only "chargeable option would be Saw Teeth if wanted.

It is not over large for your purposes, and it looks like your thinking is trending in the same way!

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182840 - 08/27/19 01:12 AM Re: Help with a decision [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Larry,
That would be a good choice too. You could add a NS hilt and a compass as well.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (08/27/19 01:12 AM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Mr_Mod