Stanback Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182742 - 08/23/19 03:58 PM Help with a decision
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
Hello everyone. I've decided to order a new Randall for kayaking. So far, I've narrowed the choices down to three, a 5-4,a 10-3, or a tri-athlete. It'll live on my PFD, and be used for cutting whatever needs cutting. I live in northern Michigan, so I'm not worried about undesirable critters trying do a hostile takeover of my vessel. It'll be used mostly for day fishing and day trips. As always,all thoughts and comments are welcome. Let the discussion begin. grin

#182743 - 08/23/19 04:15 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Brent,

The Triathlete would be great. I would see if you could get a kydex sheath made for it or maybe just a universal nylon with a velcro flap. I think Uncle Mikes makes one.

#182744 - 08/23/19 04:17 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
The triathlete's best qualities are that it's thin or you can have someone throw a handle on it.

Since it doesn't sound like you particularly need a knife with a thin-profile in the handle, I'd go with one of the other two.

I'm really liking the 5-4 I picked up recently, wear it almost daily with a pouch sheath from Warlander Leather.

For boating, the 5-4 is best optioned with the stainless blade and WT.

Or.. the 10-3 comes with that by default. smile

Can't go wrong with either, really.

(ETA) Warren snuck one in while I was replying. I'm not specifically disagreeing with Warren, just my opinion on the triathlete. smile

Edited by Windsor (08/23/19 04:21 PM)

#182747 - 08/23/19 05:32 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Windsor]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
For me,it would be a Model 5-5" with the Bradford Angier setup. Hands down the best for any occasion one might encounter. Second choice is a Cattleman's, comes with a pouch sheath. Also consider a Model 7-4 too. One never knows what situations you might run into, but anytime you are around water, a wrist thong is invaluable,not to mention having a compass on your knife on a cloudy or foggy day. Been there.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (08/23/19 05:33 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182748 - 08/23/19 05:33 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: pappy19]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I may help if you told the decision-helpers your price range.
Just sayin', Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/24/19 12:47 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#182749 - 08/23/19 05:35 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Windsor]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Thanks Rob.

Brent,

Just my opinion but fastening the sheath should be your primary consideration no matter what knife you choose. . A standard belt loop probably won't work very well to a PFD. If you do decide on a Triathlete the clip might work out well. You will probably want to wax the heck out of the stock leather. Also drill a drain hole in whatever sheath you decide. Water is going in that sheath guaranteed.

#182751 - 08/23/19 06:16 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: W Polidori]
NW Michigan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Brent, I'm thinking I'd rather have too much knife rather than not enough knife. The 5-4 would be my choice.
Doug

#182752 - 08/23/19 06:29 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: NW Michigan]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'm really leaning towards the 5-4, but the suggestion of the Cattleman has merits, namely the sheepfoot blade, less likely to poke myself.

#182753 - 08/23/19 06:30 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: NW Michigan]
eLarry Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Texan residing in Georgia
How will it be carried: belt, backpack, vest attached with D-ring, pocket

#182754 - 08/23/19 06:56 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: eLarry]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'm thinking it'll be attached to the vest with a D ring.

#182755 - 08/23/19 07:28 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
5-4.

NRA Life Member

#182756 - 08/23/19 07:42 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I may help if you the decision-helpers your price range.
Just sayin', Capt. Chris

Good point. Optioning a 5-4 with stainless and WT is 490 (390+65+35), whereas the 10-3 out of the gate is $260 (before taxes/shipping, if applicable). If you want a pouch sheath from Amy for that 5-4, that's another $65-ish, give or take depending on options (and the 10-3 COMES with a pouch sheath).

You'll get some beautiful stag on the 5-4, but that may not necessarily be desirable in a beater boat knife.

#182760 - 08/23/19 08:35 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Windsor]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Brent,
Don't rule out a 10-5.
AS for the 10-3 I would opt for a drop point.Tri would be good too.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#182761 - 08/23/19 08:42 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Windsor]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

We had a build on the Forum a while back for just this kind of knife. I think the group came up with a Model 5 with an orange G10 handle. Somebody more clever with finding the thread might see this and point all of us to it again.

The idea of a Kydex sheath that offers multiple attachment and carry options is a good one. No need to have a fixed blade on your waist where it can be uncomfortable and in the way, and might not be immediately accessible if it is needed quickly.

If I get to it, I will photo and post a Model 1 5-inch with a Kydex sheath and its multiple carry options...might give you some ideas anyway.

Larry

I found some comments I posted for the build mentioned above:

Capt. Chris—

I thought I would put in my two cents worth on this build. I agree with the respondents who prefer a 5-inch blade. Either the Model 5, the Combat Companion, or even the Model 1 with a 5-inch blade would be great for this purpose. It has to be Stainless and Micarta—considering it is going to be on and in the water a lot. Since the knife is intended to be used in emergency situations, it needs to be designed and carried so it can be instantly grasped and employed. This suggests that it will be worn on a PFD when rafting, probably upside down on the weak side. To help with registering the orientation of the cutting edge I think either a thinned down Border Patrol, SFG, or FG handle would be good—thinner than normal to help make the knife as unobtrusive as possible and to help minimize its interference with normal activity.

As for the sheath, the desire to minimize bulk suggests the Model B, and waxed because of the constant exposure to the water.

If I were the lucky winner of the build, I would have Mike Sastre at River City Sheaths make one of his DSS multi-carry option Kydex sheaths like the one shown in the photo for the new knife. These sheaths are custom fitted to each knife and retains the knife in any orientation, including upside down. Mike is an expert kayaker who started making Kydex sheaths to hold his Spyderco Endura on the upper left of his PFD, so he knows what is required in such a knife and carry system.

This turned into more words than I expected—easy to “time out” when you take too long!

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182762 - 08/23/19 08:51 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: LarryWW1246]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I found this in my files. I did not remember that the winner of this build had offered it for sale on the Forum.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=100652#Post100652
ChadHelpling
Model 5-6 the River Rafting build by Capt Chris. Stainless, orange G-10, sawteeth, brass hilt, aluminum and black spacers, waxed sheath. Paid $640 plus tax, asking $595.
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182785 - 08/24/19 07:49 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: LarryWW1246]
eLarry Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Texan residing in Georgia
Here are a couple of solutions with my design sheaths. Left magnetic neck/pocket(hangs any way you want it) with a 10-3 and right dangler with D ring(belt or vest) with a Triathlete. The dangler is my EDC which is why is looks a little rough. The dangler sheath is very versatile for any size knife. I actually have a new 10-3 for sale which comes with my magnetic sheath, my pouch and the Randall pouch. Go with a light, small handle, compact knife.

Attachments
------l1.jpg

------l4.jpg

Edited by eLarry (08/24/19 08:05 PM)

#182791 - 08/25/19 08:27 AM Re: Help with a decision [Re: eLarry]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Brent,
Northern Michigan does not have any wild critters????? Your knife choices sound great but I do hope that you pack some significant heat!!!

And there is always a chance on the northern trail you may encounter a two legged critter of "dubious character".

Let us know what your final knife choice will be. And I am interested to hear if you pack anything "else".

Wayne

#182793 - 08/25/19 09:41 AM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes, Northern Michigan has an abundance of wild critters. What I meant was, we don't have poisonous snakes, any "former pet" constrictors, sharks,ect., that live in or around the water. I know that I'm probably over imagining the threat that these creatures pose. Worst I've heard about up here is accidently snagging a muskrat. Mean little S.O.Bs, just like a city rat. Best just to cut the line and send them on their way.
I don't carry on the kayak,yet.
When walking in the woods with my dog, I open carry a Ruger lcrx 3 inch .38+p and a couple of speed loaders of jacketed hp in my pockets. This is mostly for coyotes, skunks, porcupines. My dog is so friendly, "everything" is his friend.My most carried knife on these walks in a stock small gambler, lives in my glove box, easy on/off with the clip. It would probably work on the water, just "want" something new😁.
At this point, I'm really thinking a 10-3, it already has all the good stuff, stainless,thumb notches, and laynard hole, just have to decide on handle material. Might have to email the Capt and see what he has on hand.

#182798 - 08/25/19 01:06 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Brent,
The 10-3 sounds nice. I have a "standard" one of those. Always want to get yet another Randall Knife!!!

Maybe that Ruger Lcrx in a shoulder rig might be the way to go when in the kayak??

I am not paranoid,just a thinking paranoid. You see,things around me tend to "occur" and more than once the popcorn has hit the fan even when I was doing something as innocent as fishing with my dog.

I hope that the Captian has something for you so you may get that 10-3 right away!!!

Wayne

#182799 - 08/25/19 03:18 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I thought Michigan had lots of black bears and wolves, those are both critters I wouldn't want to hold off with a Model 10-3. Lol.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182801 - 08/25/19 04:23 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: pappy19]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

If they swim up to you, poke them in the nose.

#182802 - 08/25/19 04:46 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Windsor]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Never seen or heard a wolf where I'm at, I think they're more northern than me.I've only seen 3 black bears in the wild,while delivering mail,all on the side of the road. Slowed down to good look at them, and their gone in the blink of an eye. Shocking how fast they can move.
Also have large cats here(puma, mt.lion, whatever), never seen one, suppose to be relatively common in the UP, but somebody got a nice picture of one down on the northern outskirts of Lansing. Maybe I should rethink this and get a sasquatch or Smithsonian.lol

#182803 - 08/25/19 05:20 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Hi Brent,

I asked a similar question of the group a while back and got a lot a great advice. I was looking for kayaking and other activities around water. My two main criteria were a stainless blade and a full tang. I also wanted a full finger grip for use with wet environments and I was up in the air about saw teeth. I had a Model 16 that served me well back in the day, but I wanted something a little smaller for packing on the boat.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=174660&page=1

At the time, I had my choices narrowed down to either a Combat Companion or a Model 15. The responses had me taking a hard look at Model 5’s and also the Model 28.

After reading all the replies I got and taking everything into consideration, I ended up going with what my idea of what a “Short Diver’s” knife should be, which is a stainless Model 15 with a full finger grip handle, single hilt, thumb notches and saw teeth.

I placed my order for it with the Captain back in November, so I am hoping to have it in hand in a couple of months:)!

#182811 - 08/26/19 04:00 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: mic214]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The past year we have had 6 dogs attacked by coyotes while being walked. This was in suburbia,not the woods. Three dogs died and the remainder were injured.

Three women were attacked by a rabid bobcat,again,in the suburbs.

The state fish & game says that we don't have a coyote problem. These are the same folks that said there are no cougar/mountain lions in the state. Until one got hit and killed by a car on a major highway.

The state then did a DNA on it and said that it was from South Dakota. I guess he was just visiting for the week end.

A knife won't help you with this stuff. Consider your choices wisely.

Wayne

#182812 - 08/26/19 05:14 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This knife will clipped to my PFD and used for cutting whatever needs cutting, probably mostly fishing line and such.Used mainly for day fishing, nothing overnight. For overnights, I usually have my 5-6,stuffed into whatever bag I'm using, along with my .38, with a couple of reloads. If the 10-3 doesn't "cut it", I'll move up to something in between. Really like a CC, fully tricked out, stainless,saw teeth, micarta SFG,wrist thong.

#182817 - 08/26/19 07:58 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Brent
perfect knife for PFD
Model 7
When your having Pork For Dinner

Sharpi

Attachments
------Randall PFD.jpg

#182823 - 08/26/19 08:22 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: Brent]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Brent
This knife will clipped to my PFD and used for cutting whatever needs cutting, probably mostly fishing line and such.Used mainly for day fishing, nothing overnight. For overnights, I usually have my 5-6,stuffed into whatever bag I'm using, along with my .38, with a couple of reloads. If the 10-3 doesn't "cut it", I'll move up to something in between. Really like a CC, fully tricked out, stainless,saw teeth, micarta SFG,wrist thong.

The CC with stainless, sawteeth SFG and wrist thong would sounds perfect. I was very close to going with that set up!

#182829 - 08/26/19 08:39 PM Re: Help with a decision [Re: mic214]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After your original post, I went back through the catalogue and identified several models that might work just fine for this.

Looking for what might be desirable features that would come standard without having to pay for options or using up the five-option limit.

The Combat Companion Full Tang comes in Stainless with Wrist Thong already. Black Micarta standard. Border Patrol handle standard. The standard Double Hilt could be ordered as a Single Hilt (if that is the personal preference) at no extra charge. The only "chargeable option would be Saw Teeth if wanted.

It is not over large for your purposes, and it looks like your thinking is trending in the same way!

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182840 - 08/27/19 01:12 AM Re: Help with a decision [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry,
That would be a good choice too. You could add a NS hilt and a compass as well.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (08/27/19 01:12 AM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod