Randall Knife Collectors Club Stanback Knives
Page 2 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60935 - 04/23/09 10:49 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? * [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Hey Cap I don't know about kissing your sister but I sure like my Sako 270. I hav killed lots of deer and groundhogs with it. I shoot 130 gr. soft points in it. I also have a 270WSM Tika that shoots very well. Kate likes the 270 Sako herself. She has taken some deer with it also. I have a Panther 308 that I like very much as well. The Panther is extremly accurate, as is the Sako.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#60936 - 04/24/09 01:13 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
My main rifle is a stainless ugly plastic stock ruger in .300 win mag with a Leopold 4X. I shoot 180 grain hornady bullets out of it. It's performance on bears, moose, and deer has been amazing. If I am pushing bush for my boys, I'll pack my Winchester model 55 in 30-30 (it is the takedown version of the model 94).

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKS#5531

#60937 - 04/24/09 01:38 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A land downunder
It is true that the .270 can be formed by necking down a 30-06 case but the result will be brass that is an I/8" short, but they work OK. When deer hunting, I use necked down Lake City military 30-06 brass so as to save my good commercial brass.
I wasn't aware that the .270 was ever a wildcat; my information was that it was originally introduced as a factory cartridge by Winchester in 1923.

Now Capt Stanaback I have no problem with your choice of the 30-06 it is the second longest owned rifle I've had, and is still in the family. To limit the comparison of the 30-06 and the .270 by only looking at 130 grain bullets, is a bit unfair. I could say the 270 is a great varmint rifle with 100 grn bullets (mine is) and the 30-06 isn't so the 30-06 can't do every thing the .270 can.
It's all a matter of opinion and what works for you and your hunting.

Your thread asks "what caliber of person are you"?
I admit it I'm a wimp I like my .270 Ladies gun and I’ll use it to hunt any animal in Australia including a water buffalo or a bull camel. The .30-06 would be better choice. My .338 would be a wiser choice. But I’d still feel comfortable behind my .270. I’d draw the line at one those North American brown bears though

PS I like little knives also.

Edited by Ausblade (04/24/09 01:59 AM)

#60938 - 04/24/09 10:30 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ausblade]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Sidney and Graham,
Wow! What a polite arguement! I'm amazed! This thread was actually meant to be the header for a series of sub-threads with everyone's "pet" calibers listed. I have to get somebody working on that. I don't think I can pass the geek test that allows one to be able to do those type of things...But I'm learning.
I knew some folks would come to the aid and defense of the 270 Winchester...and it's good to see such a civil defense of said caliber. I have 2 hunters on my lease in Alabama who use and insist on using their 270's. O.K.: Whatever!
The 270 Winchester, like a lot of other cartridges is the offspring of the 30-06, including one of my favorite "doe" guns, the 25-06. According to everything I have read about the 270's beginning, the closest thing I can find to the truth is this. Winchester was looking for a long range varmint round that would work best with 90-110 grain bullets. They did not want to copy a Chinese cartridge (sorry: I don't know exactly which one) so, after experimenting with several necked-down cases and loads, they decided upon what is now the 270 Winchester. It is my belief and nothing I have read contradicts this, that many "wild cat" versions of this round had already been experimented with "prior" to it becoming a proprietary cartridge of Winchester. Who knows for sure. Frank Barnes makes a small mention, in his book, of Winchester wanting to avoid confusion with a Chinese variety of this cartridge, but that doesn't mean anything "for sure". Quite possibly the 270 was entirely Winchester's brain child. With all the folks experimenting with ammunition in that day anything is possible.
The write-up, by Dr. Barnes, does state that this cartridge was originally intended for light bullets, used at long range. I never debated that. I have owned a few 270's and never been happy with their long range performance...on "whitetails". They shoot well (not super) at long range, but do not cut it for me on "whitetails". That's where I fall out of love with them. Of course, most folks aren't shooting at the distancec I am on an everyday basis for deer.
The 6,000 acres I hunt on and have been hunting on for 25 years, is totally different than when I started hunting there. It use to be a working farm, with cotton, soy beans, corn, 3 pecan orchards, cattle, hogs, chickens...you know? A farm? All of that is gone now and the entire property is a southern yellow pine tree forrest. Too bad. You used to be able to drive or walk around that property and count 60-100 deer. No more. The deer are still there. You just can't see them. Nothing is open anymore.
"Ambush" lanes and food plots have been put in, in order to hunt. This translates to long shots, even longer than shooting across open fields. I'll go into all of this some other time, but my 30-06's (I shoot 2 of them) work quite well for what I now have to do, in order to produce a nice buck.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60939 - 04/24/09 11:34 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
blazer05 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Birmingham Alabama
My oldest son and I shoot even a different caliber than the ones mentioned - the 280 Remington. My youngest son shoots a 7mm-08.

#60940 - 04/24/09 12:52 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: blazer05]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Both great calibers. My son shot a 7mm-08 from the time I taught him to shoot it at age 13 until now. I bought him a 30-06, but he keeps going back to the Remington Model 788 in 7mm-08.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#60941 - 04/24/09 02:19 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Quote:

I'm amazed! This thread was actually meant to be the header for a series of sub-threads with everyone's "pet" calibers listed.
Best, Capt. Chris

Cap, a separate thread or discussion about each individual cartridge would be great!
No big deal, just start over after everyone understands the concept ( I didn't ) then delete this thread.

If you like I will start a 358 Win thread. It might be a bit lonely there but I know you have/had one.

Shoot, I'll just do it.

Brilliant concept (like Knife of the Week)!
RKS #4868

#60942 - 04/24/09 09:54 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A land downunder
Quote:

Sidney and Graham,
Wow! What a polite arguement!

There should not be any other kind.

You can insult my rifle any time you like.
Just don't try it on my wife, my dog or my friends

#60943 - 04/24/09 11:01 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ausblade]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
I do own a 30-06 Browning Mod.78. It is a single shot. One is all it takes if placed in the right spot. My 270 has accounted for many deer dropped in their tracks, dead before they hit the ground.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#60944 - 04/25/09 10:52 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
Kent_Warnberg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mpls, MN
Friends,

What a Great Thread! I do believe that we will get more difference of opinions here, than we get trying to decide on the "perfect" Randall model!

Having said that, this is a hard one to come with, since I shoot a handful of different calibers.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the .280. For what I hunt at the moment, this caliber will take care of it. I shoot a Berreta Mato, topped with a Bushnell Elite in 3X9- A tack driver. Also have the .280 in Remington 700 BDL. Whacked many deer with that rifle. The only change I made to that rifle was having the barrel glass bed. I mainly use Federal Premium bullets, or Hornady Light mag ammo.

Here are some other calibers that I have and really like the .7MM Rem Mag, 30.06, .300 Savage, 250/3000 Savage and .257 Roberts.

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Life Member NRA

Page 2 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 ... 29 30 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman