Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182584 - 08/19/19 09:17 AM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: crutchtip]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

For what it is worth…

Apart from the possibly anti-competition angle at this show.

People who mis-use guns let some people paint all gun owners as dangerous and threats as a way to “get their way,” which is to take away all guns except for themselves and their armed protection.

Getting their way is what it is all about. Once they do, they can brag about what they have accomplished, and what credit they deserve for their public service.

There are so many other things that are killing many more people that they don’t speak out against or have any concern about, and certainly don’t have solutions for.

I have wondered why the legitimate gun-owning public would not come up with recommendations of their own to help keep guns away from people who should not have them—and we know there are people who should not have them.

I know—“give an inch and lose a yard.” And eventually “lose it all.” Maybe, maybe not.

The private seller has no way to tell if a buyer is a person who should not have a gun. Even if the private seller is allowed to call in a background check, the system does not always contain or “catch” the individual who should not be allowed to buy.

I have suggested to some offices that driver’s licenses and state-issued ID cards carry a “Firearms” disability notice on them for all people who are “supposed” to be in the national database, and people who the state knows “should” be in the database.*

The FFL or the private seller could know immediately that they were not allowed to sell to such a person.**

The private seller could keep a record of whoever they sold to as a way to confirm that they made a legitimate sale if the license did not carry the notification. (The camera on their cell phones would make this easy.) And, if a person with the disability on his license tried to buy a gun the seller could notify authorities and alert them.

Something like this could close the “gun show loophole” and take away some thunder from certain quarters.

That alone would not stop the kinds of incidents that have been happening, but if family and friends jumped in and authorities took the right actions when people with problems are involved—those troubled people could also be denied access to guns.

**It would not be unusual for the seller to confirm the ID of a buyer. Heck, I even have a couple of local supermarkets that want to scan my driver’s license when I want to buy a six pack of beer!

Edited by LarryWW1246 (08/19/19 09:19 AM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182587 - 08/19/19 10:41 AM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That turns private citizens into gun "dealers". Feds can keep track. IIRC, if you sell more than three firearms a year, the feds consider that being in "business". Crock of shit really.

With an estimated 300 to 400 million firearms in the US, I don't care what they pass, the illegal trade will only expand.

The problem as I see it begins in the home. Fucked up parents, or lack of parenting, lack of discipline, spills into the schools. Everyone is a victim, no accountability, must have a cause to support. Generally in this climate it is some left wing bullshit.

Gratuitous violence in film, video games, and now television is the norm. Social media whores that are the definition of narcissism.

Then you have the "red flag" thing going. This robs a person of their constitutional right of due process. In other words, you have the presumption of innocence. Not with a "red flag" law. I can see some serious abuse of this.

There are plenty of laws on the books now. Enforce those laws.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#182590 - 08/19/19 11:32 AM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: crutchtip]
RamKingJC Online
Knife Enthusiast

frown

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#182592 - 08/19/19 01:08 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: RamKingJC]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch and others

In today's environment, it looks like more controls are coming.

What if private sales are outlawed? You have to go to an FFL with the buyer to complete a transaction...? What if you own certain types of guns, and you have to store them in an approved facility, and pay rent to whoever operates that facility. Etc.

Look around the country at jurisdictions that already have such controls in place...someday those places might become the model for the country as a whole.

The point being that legitimate gun owners don't want the kinds of incidents to happen that spur the cry for more controls. But they risk being victimized by circumstances, and maybe some creative solutions on their part might help to avert unreasonable controls being imposed against their will.

It's interesting how policy makers find it easier to put large controls in place than to get down to and deal with the things you mention as driving the behavior of a few. They don't want to fault parenting, they don't want to offend the entertainment industry, they do not want to require mental health workers to report patients who might commit violent acts, they don't want to speak out against drug use (especially marijuana)--so they blame all gun owners for what a few end up doing.

Short of the more radical things that some people would like to do, Senator Toomey and others want to tighten up the national database to make sure all the right people are in it, but that alone would not stop some of the wrong people getting guns.

Larry

Edited by LarryWW1246 (08/19/19 01:11 PM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182593 - 08/19/19 01:25 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: LarryWW1246]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Ever since the Columbine Shooting in Colorado, the gun show "loophole" was closed by the Democrat Legislature.
All firearm transfers have to be handled through a FFL.
The difference from what I am gathering by the postings, is that the promoters in Colorardo provide FFL transfers at the front of the show. All private vendors display their firearms, and then they go up front and do the transfer. Cost is usually $15-$20 plus the Colorado Bureau of Investigation fee (they maintain the database for clearing Form 4473).
After the Aurora Theater Shooting, the Democratic Legislators banned magazines over 15 rounds, required all transfers (gifts, family, friends, loaning guns for shoots, etc.) to include background checks.
But, due to their ignorance, they exempted C&R firearms.
So, no Background Check required for any C&R qualifying firearms.
It looks like Florida's show went from a freedom of private transfers, to a dictate by the promoter.
If it is the largest retailer, then it must be Cabela's/Bass Pro. They have changed the nature of all firearm sales since they are the biggest in the U.S. All of the small dealers can't buy wholesale for what Cabela's/Bass Pro sell retail.
Molon Labe

#182594 - 08/19/19 01:41 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
It looks like Florida's show went from a freedom of private transfers, to a dictate by the promoter.
If it is the largest retailer, then it must be Cabela's/Bass Pro. They have changed the nature of all firearm sales since they are the biggest in the U.S. All of the small dealers can't buy wholesale for what Cabela's/Bass Pro sell retail.

The promoter owns the chain of gun stores in Florida called Shoot Straight. Several locations around the state, he's done very well for himself in the firearm business.

I don't know about the largest in the country, but I did hear at Blade 2 years ago that at that time he was selling approx. 17% of the Smith & Wesson's sold in this country. That's got to be a LOT of guns.

I'll still hold to my statement from earlier, I believe it's all driven by GREED.. JMO

#182595 - 08/19/19 03:12 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: Michael_Mason]
BigJim Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Check this out, bad stuff on the horizon.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/florida.../#axzz5x3496KJU

#182599 - 08/19/19 05:09 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: BigJim]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I stand with you all about our constitutional rights
but all I did was chose to stay home with the dog

Yeah there's a storm coming and we survived them before
The best we can do is live good and not support them

But some other venues would be nice

Glad I don't collect Rocks
Sharpi

#182601 - 08/19/19 06:00 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: Sharpi]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
If you were my next door neighbor in NY, NOW we would legally have to visit a local FFL for a long gun, Not so for immediate family members (Father to Son). OK, I get it for handguns, you need the FFL transfer and paperwork. No different than if you bought the same gun via GB or any other site.
Careful now, you could come under legal action if you violated the SAFE Act.
Tiptoe carefully and cover your 6.

#182610 - 08/19/19 07:45 PM Re: Orlando Gun & Knife Show: This weekend! [Re: W Polidori]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
10 4 Warren!

Sharpi.. The Rock Tumblers are looking to regulate so their rocks don't end up in slingshots!!!!!

Show was dismal! I went to see the gang and pick up some kydex work from a local vendor! He said they did good because of planned custom pistol jobs$$ but that vendor attendance was down 15-20% and foot traffic the same!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod