Miles Swelze Clinton Knives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182261 - 08/07/19 10:25 PM Best Tasting Fish
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
I grew up believing that the best tasting fish were the Bream and Crappie that we catch in Lake Fork and the creeks and rivers around here. They are good, even better than the catfish that we catch and cook for reunions.

Then later in my life, I found out about Red Snapper!!!!!

But then, several years ago, a friend of mine who had grown up in Wisconsin, told me about Walleyes. My wife & I decided to check that theory out and we took a trip to Booi's lodge in Northern Ontario.

We went back there 3 more times. Walleye are the best tasting fish that I've ever had.

What say ye? Tell me what you think are the best tasting fish.

Attachments
------Limit of Walleyes.gif

#182269 - 08/08/19 07:49 AM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: coachblalock]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I agree Coach, Walleye is my favorite too. I fillet dip them in Shore Lunch batter and fry it up. It has a wonderful flavor all its own, it does not taste like fish too me.

Edited by Eric (08/08/19 07:51 AM)

#182273 - 08/08/19 09:37 AM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: Eric]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
For freshwater fish, catfish from the Snake River is #1, smallmouth bass from the Snake River #2, and Yellow Perch from Cascade Lake #3. Salt water, Red snapper #1, Red fish #2, Yellow tail and Halibut tied for #3.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182274 - 08/08/19 09:46 AM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: Eric]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Plank grilled fresh salmon. Went to a Potlatch in the Seattle area where the local tribe plank-grilled the salmon they just caught and served it on the still steaming cedar slabs.
I also really crave a good grouper sandwich from the Florida Keys.
Local fare is Kokanee Salmon or fresh Rainbow Trout.
Now I am thinking about going fishing.

Attachments
------Planked-Salmon-1.jpg

Molon Labe

#182276 - 08/08/19 10:46 AM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: coachblalock]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Coach

I grew up in the prairies of western Canada. Our family spent our summer holidays in northern Saskatchewan camping and fishing.
Pickerel were my favorite. We lived on the west coast of Canada and fished for salmon and red snapper. I have eaten grouper and catfish, in various states in your country.
But then a friend, who spent time in the Arctic, brought us an arctic char. Superb, great, wonderful, tasty, ...... you get the picture. Hands down, my favorite.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” — Nelson Mandela

#182285 - 08/08/19 03:04 PM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: rodbrown]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rod:

The last two September’s, my Bride and youngest daughter have gone to Iceland. They have come back going on & on about SEVERAL things but both of them have really bragged on the Char!

For them to make that big a deal about it, Arctic Char must be really good!

Coach

#182286 - 08/08/19 03:10 PM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: coachblalock]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

David:

That Salmon looks really good! I’ve had grouper and its good too!

That Salmon reminds me of a guy at Booi’s that stays up there all Summer., every Summer. He catches those big Lake Trouts and smokes them in a smoker just like we would smoke a brisket. Delicious too!

Coach

#182298 - 08/08/19 06:56 PM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: coachblalock]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Grew up on the south shore of LI. Inshore fishing was mostly flounder, fluke, and bass with an occasional weakfish. All great eaters no matter how you cook them.
Offshore pelagic fish like yellowfin tuna, longfinned albacore, mahi-mahi, wahoo, and the surprise mako caught while trolling were our favorite season fish. Loved it all. Would never pick one over the next.

#182299 - 08/08/19 07:00 PM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: coachblalock]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
I'd have to vote for walleye,followed by deep fried catfish with hush puppies.

#182300 - 08/08/19 07:20 PM Re: Best Tasting Fish [Re: Brent]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Can't vote for deep fried anything. Broil, blackened, grilled, highly seasoned. Deep fried is an intestinal nightmare.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  TonyLaPetri