Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181718 - 07/21/19 09:18 PM Ray Cover
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
I haven’t seen any Ray Cover knives here, in this folder forum, so I thought I’d show a few of mine.

His work is as nice as I’ve seen on just about any slip joint folder. (I’m by no stretch an expert on folding knives (or any knives for that matter) but I can’t imagine it gets much better).

His knives are always finished flawlessly. Everything fits together so nicely it’s hard to find the backstop line between the blade and the spring when the knife is open. And from the spine, the spring lines are so well fitted, it’s hard to see them. Opened, closed, at half-lock, the lines are always the same - perfect. Run your finger anywhere along them and you’d swear you’re touching a solid seamless surface. And everything holds up perfectly well under a magnifying glass.

The blades are ATS-34 hand-finished to satin. The smaller knife is a drop point slip joint pocketknife with a 2 ¾” blade. The scales are a yellow “Westinghouse” micarta that has faded to a sort of antique gold over the years. (I carry this one in my coin pocket sometimes). The larger knife is a two-blade trapper with 3 ¼” and 3” blades: main blade is a sort of combo drop/ clip point and the other is a spey.

The scales are always fitted to perfection: dovetailed into stainless bolsters at the top, flush and flawless at the butt, and pinned over a very thin liner.

The blade “walks” out, and back in, firmly but smoothly, with just the right amount of tension, the spring end polished to perfection. The blade stops soundlessly at the half stop. But “talks” just right at both ends: springing open, at about 45deg., with a solid “click.” And snapping shut at the same angle in the other direction with a pleasing “thwack.”

I have a few more Ray Cover knives but have to take more pics. When you get a knife from him it comes in a little cardboard box, padded with the local newspaper, with a xerox copy of your cancelled check, wrapped in a finger-smudged blue shop towel with a few rubber bands. When he’s not making knives, he’s probably out on his tractor. He’s a great old guy and when I wonder why his knives aren’t more popular, his response is, “I don’t get out there much.” But he does attend some shows; one planned very soon. Lucky are those who find him.

This man is a real artist and his knives are just beautiful.

My pictures just don’t do justice. I have to either figure out how to use my phone’s camera better or break out the old digital camera.

Thanks for looking, Gary

Attachments
------raycoverStagbig4.jpg

------raycoverStagbig2.jpg

------raycoverStagbig5.jpg

------raycoverStagBig6.jpg

------raycoverYellowfolder2.jpg

------raycoverYellowfolder.jpg

------raycoverYellowfolder5.jpg

------raycoverYellowfolder3.jpg

#181719 - 07/21/19 09:48 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: escapement]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Very nice indeed.
Walker

#181722 - 07/21/19 10:56 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: Shoot870p]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Those two knives are really nice!

Where is Mr. Cover located?

#181733 - 07/22/19 10:31 AM Re: Ray Cover [Re: coachblalock]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
When I was collecting Ray Cover, Sr., he was located in Missouri.
The next step in collecting is to find a Ray Cover, Sr, with engraving by Ray Cover, Jr.
You can contact Ray Cover, Jr, at learningtoengrave.com
I sold my collection of Sr's knives a number of years ago, but still have some other knives engraved by Jr.
Great knives.
Molon Labe

#181735 - 07/22/19 11:42 AM Re: Ray Cover [Re: BladesNBarrels]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
Coach, PM sent.

#181737 - 07/22/19 12:50 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: escapement]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Got it. THANKS!

#182014 - 07/29/19 09:33 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: coachblalock]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
This is two of the Three Ray Cover folders I own...( I cant find the 3rd as of yet...

Jason Randall introduced me to Mr Covers work about 15 years ago...flawless knives!!

sorry, i give up trying to post the second pic...
Here ya' go Scott...CCS

Attachments
------IMAG0197 (480x640).jpg

------Cover_A+.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (07/31/19 01:57 PM)

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#182015 - 07/29/19 09:34 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: Dirty_Water]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Pics?

#182067 - 07/31/19 02:58 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: W Polidori]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Thanks Cap!

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#182068 - 07/31/19 04:50 PM Re: Ray Cover [Re: Dirty_Water]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Here is one I owned a while back
Coral Handle that Ray Cover, Sr made. When asked at Blade 2007, it was the only one he could remember making.
I particularly like the dove-tailed scales and the blade totally enclosed when the knife is closed - no sharp edges in the pocket.

Attachments
------COV01a (Small).JPG

------COV01c (Small).JPG

------COV01e (Small).JPG

Molon Labe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton