Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181461 - 07/12/19 04:54 PM Re: New Regulations on Alligator Gar Fishing in Texas [Re: pappy19]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Pap,
We got ‘em here too and I have ate ‘em before.

Some folks call ‘em “GASPERGOU”.

They make a grunting sound at night that you can hear from the bottom of the river.

I’ve been told that they make that noise by rubbing 2 rock-like thangs in their heads. I don’t know if that’s it or not but they do have 2 rocks in their heads.

Coach

#181483 - 07/13/19 09:56 AM Re: New Regulations on Alligator Gar Fishing in Texas [Re: coachblalock]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
I always wondered where the phrase "rock head" came from
Molon Labe

#181484 - 07/13/19 10:40 AM Re: New Regulations on Alligator Gar Fishing in Texas [Re: coachblalock]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: coachblalock

Pap,

I had heard that my whole life too but I had a roommate in college from Breaux Bridge, Louisiana.

I went home with him one weekend and his Mama changed my mind about that!

Coach

They all say the same about choupique,
Gar balls are great all in knowing how to cook'em, add a good sauce piquant over them.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#181496 - 07/13/19 08:41 PM Re: New Regulations on Alligator Gar Fishing in Texas [Re: Chief]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Chief,

We got ‘em here too. We call ‘em “GRINNEL”.

I have filleted ‘em and fried ‘em up just like catfish. They are not bad if you fry them fresh and eat ‘em while they are still hot.

Definitely not my favorite, but when I was growing up, sometimes they had to do.

Coach

PS. One time when he was cleaning a big grinnel, my uncle remarked that he would eat anything that came out of the river except a moccasin or a water dog.

Edited by coachblalock (07/13/19 08:44 PM)

#181502 - 07/13/19 10:06 PM Re: New Regulations on Alligator Gar Fishing in Texas [Re: coachblalock]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Coach,

I think the new rules are for the upper Trinity River. Come on over to the Sabine and do it again.
RKS #4868

#181503 - 07/13/19 10:37 PM Re: New Regulations on Alligator Gar Fishing in Texas [Re: tomthbomb]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There ARE some good ‘uns in the Sabine!

And the Angelina & Neches too!

Lake Fork has ‘em too!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  TonyLaPetri