Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194030 - 05/04/21 10:43 PM Re: Solingen 14 Hump Blade w/ no hump? [Re: Holzinger258]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Steve -

Yours is pretty much within the "normal" range. The knives were finished/completed over a 10+ year period of the Viet Nam war, so you aren't gonna have the same cat doing every one of them. Your knife still has a hump, not as pronounced as the 14 pictured, and to me, appears to be earlier than that sheath, as is the stone. The 1/8" inch hilt material was generally used probably until around maybe 66(?) when RMK went to the 1/4" material used on large blade 14's and 18's. You may find an outlier here and there.

Also, the choil is relatively "square" for lack of a better term, which would indicate little work was done on the knife. If you look at the early Solingen blades when little work is done, if any, the choil is almost a right angle down to the blade.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#194033 - 05/05/21 07:12 PM Re: Solingen 14 Hump Blade w/ no hump? [Re: crutchtip]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
The information is very much appreciated.

GOOD CALL on the sheath! You are sharp.

Stupidly, after returning from Vietnam, I stored my 60's Randall knives (in their ORIGINAL SHEATHS) in a basement crate with my uniforms. New England basements are humid and even flood occasionally; in my case, the uniforms rotted sometime in the 1970's, as did the sheaths, though the stainless knives survived. I threw out the sheaths (again stupidly?) and ordered replacements. The replacement shown is the waxed version because I didn't want any further rot. (The lower tie-down tab is cut off because I never needed it with this user.)

Thanks, Joe.
RKS #258

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod