Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179854 - 04/21/19 10:21 AM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I don't see where Mike (Pappy) ever said he had rivets "added"...He just said: "I had rivets on my brown button sheath".
Just sayin', Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (04/21/19 10:22 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#179858 - 04/21/19 12:03 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: pappy19]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pappy19
So I'm going to throw this out again for whatever it's worth, right or wrong.
I bought my first Randall Model 1-6 in 1967. Carbon, stag, and etched Michael R. Allen. In 1970, I flew to Tampa to see my brother,and took my knife to the Randall shop. Pete and I visited for a good while regarding western hunting, and then asked me if I would like rivets on my sheath. I said sure. He went in the back a a few minutes later, I had rivets on my brown button sheath. I sold that knife and sheath to Rhett in 1993 and tried to find it, but no luck. My blade was carbon, stag and etched Michael R. Allen, if you find it, let me know.

Pap

Unless I am waaaay off base, Mike seems to be inferring that Pete added rivets to his sheath, not supplying a completely different sheath. In the context of this post by Miles, and his questioning the originality of his sheath and the rivets, I believe the presumption is the Pete added rivets to Mike's sheath.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#179860 - 04/21/19 12:50 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: crutchtip]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
As a matter of fact, that sheath was dyed cordavan (sp) by a cobbler to match my pistol holster, so I know Pete didn't just give me a replacement sheath with rivets. I am just so mad at myself for selling it to Rhett, but what's done is done. Someone somewhere has that knife, sheath, and original catalog in an envelope from the Shop. I sold it to Rhett in 1993 and when I asked him about it, all he could fine is that he resold it in 1993, but no name.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (04/21/19 12:53 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#179861 - 04/21/19 12:52 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Good point Joe. I took is as he "wound up" with a throat-riveted sheath.
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#179862 - 04/21/19 01:38 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: pappy19]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pappy19
As a matter of fact, that sheath was dyed cordavan (sp) by a cobbler to match my pistol holster, so I know Pete didn't just give me a replacement sheath with rivets. I am just so mad at myself for selling it to Rhett, but what's done is done. Someone somewhere has that knife, sheath, and original catalog in an envelope from the Shop. I sold it to Rhett in 1993 and when I asked him about it, all he could fine is that he resold it in 1993, but no name.

Pap

Mike I know it was some time ago, but do you recall what the impetus was for adding the rivets? I don't see Pete blurting out "Hey you want rivets in this sheath?" out of the blue, so what was the precursor to him asking that? Did you express some type of need for rivets? I guess the question is if you recall why Pete added rivets? Also, what type of rivet?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#179863 - 04/21/19 02:03 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: crutchtip]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Pete did indeed have the ability and the tools to add the rivets...he mentioned a few times that he did just that...loooong before the collectors prices arrived on the scene...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#179864 - 04/21/19 02:26 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: Dirty_Water]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch

I asked Pete to sharpen my Model 1, and he then asked if I wanted him to install rivets on my sheath. I said sure, he then went in the back on the bench and did both.
I never paid much attention to the rivets other than they were brass.
Pap

Edited by pappy19 (04/21/19 02:29 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#179865 - 04/21/19 02:55 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: pappy19]
rigid54 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NC, USA
It’s my opinion that the knife is older and the rivets were added to “push” the sheath back-in-time.

Happy Easter all!
NRA Life

#179866 - 04/21/19 03:06 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: Dirty_Water]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Pete did indeed have the ability and the tools to add the rivets...he mentioned a few times that he did just that...loooong before the collectors prices arrived on the scene...

well there ya go, I lost the bet!

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#179868 - 04/21/19 03:32 PM Re: Riveted Roughback Sheath: opinions welcome [Re: crutchtip]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

This doesn't have to do with rivets, but 2 years later, 1972(?) I went back to the shop and Pete added an additional keeper on my Model 8 sheath, which also had a the stone pouch, another rare item. I sold that to Rhett the same time as the Model 1,another stupid mistake. It has Mike Allen etched on that blade if anyone ever runs across it. I'll buy it back.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod