dominionhobby.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179665 - 04/15/19 08:34 AM Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
I am planning a trip to Orlando in October to coincide with my annual quail hunt in GA.

One reason is to visit my friends at the RMK shop and I figured that maybe an air rifle hunt for Iguanas (as well as fishing for Snakeheads) might be nice.

Anyone familiar with Iguana hunting???

Wayne

#179669 - 04/15/19 10:53 AM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Wayne Dengler]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Researchers in Broward County, Florida are trying to keep the iguana population under control by bashing them in the head.

Fifteen researchers from the University of Floria are using “blunt force trauma” to destroy the iguana’s brain and “humanely” kill the invasive reptile.

The work is apparently complies with the state’s anti-cruelty laws, if it is done with one strike.

The researchers have been hunting down invasive iguanas with captive bolt guns as part of a three-month, $63,000 research project.

Contracted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the project aims to remove the rampant reptiles and runs until May.

“I like all creatures, but they are not in their native environment,” Floridian Eric Swalley tells media. “It’s a horrible thing we need to combat and try to get a handle on. It’s a biological nightmare.”

It’s legal to kill iguanas in Florida because they can destroy native plants and wildlife.

But state law dictates the killing must only be in a humane manner.

“Most of what we’re doing is blunt-force trauma,” said UF Jenny Ketterlin biologist told the South Florida Sun Sentinel. “Hitting their head very hard against a solid object.”

Experts recommended other ways to kill them such as shooting them with a pellet gun, or decapitating them with a knife.

Although freezing the animals was once allowed, it’s now illegal, along with drowning and poisoning.

So far the teams have killed nearly 300 iguanas.
Molon Labe

#179671 - 04/15/19 11:49 AM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: BladesNBarrels]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Andrew Zimmer had a show where they used pellet guns to hunt iguanas and then ate them. Marinated and grilled. They were boating up a canal and the iguanas were everywhere.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#179672 - 04/15/19 12:01 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
I believe the iguana problem is farther to the south, Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area. Haven’t heard much talk about them in and about Orlando, although I’m sure they are here. Just not in the numbers they’re seeing down there... YET !!

#179673 - 04/15/19 12:45 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Michael_Mason]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Michael,
I too,have heard that they may not be that prevalent in the Orlando area.

However,reading the above replies,I really don't think that bashing them in the head is very humane. I would go the high powered pellet rifle route.

Snakehead fish though,are just about everywhere.

Wayne

#179677 - 04/15/19 01:44 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Drowning is less humane than decapitation? I beg to differ.

#179678 - 04/15/19 01:57 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Windsor]
RamKingJC Online
Knife Enthusiast

L....M...A....O...... Rob =]

Iguana and snakehead fish are really not an issue in the Orlando area.
Just cone and enjoy the Shop and Museum. That's a full day.

Edited by RamKingJC (04/15/19 02:02 PM)

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#179680 - 04/15/19 02:35 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: RamKingJC]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

James,

Here I was,thinking that FL was pretty well over run with those two invasive species but I guess it must be somewhat south of the Orlando area.

Maybe I should just go down to the Everglades and get wrapped up by a Burmese Python????

No pellet gun for them,that is time for the Shock-Wave to come out!!!!
Wayne

#179689 - 04/15/19 05:53 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My Brother lives in Boca Raton
Looks like Jurassic Park
They come in several colors from orange, Purple, Blue Green & Gray
Some as big as a large Dog
Very Territorial with Each male having his own heir-om

Snake heads bad very nasty teeth eats all the other fish
But very tasty

#179696 - 04/15/19 08:27 PM Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area [Re: Sharpi]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
How did Florida get overwhelmed by Iguanas?
It's something that you see in the Caribbean Islands. Never had any idea this was a problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman