Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178815 - 03/09/19 08:10 AM Airgun Suppressors/Silencers
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Being that small game season ended last month,there are still other seasons open (such as pigeons,starlings,crows and coyotes) that are basically invasive species.

This state permits air rifles (up to 22 cal) for hunting but prohibits the use of silencers. Being that a number of air rifles now come with silencers I figured I better ask the folks at Fish & Game if suppressed air rifles were exempt.

The e-mail reply was a very curt,quote of state statute CGS 53a-211 that forbids possession of silencers.

What she did not quote was Section B of that same statute which lists exemptions,one of being "Those with Federal Permission"

In other words,those that went through the ATF Form 4/Tax Stamp process.

I replied to her response with a quote of Section B.

I have yet to get a reply and the matter is still in question.

I tend to "poke the bear" every so often.

There is a big hunt fish expo up at the capital end of this month,I will ask the game wardens in person for their opinion.

Wayne

#178816 - 03/09/19 09:47 AM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: Wayne Dengler]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
I guess I did not think about airguns requiring suppressors. But, following up on your comments, I found this discussion on pyramydair forums:

"SO WHAT? We're talking about airguns here!
Yes we are, and most airgunners know that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) has jurisdiction over firearms ONLY. In fact, U.S. Code specifically prohibits any federal, state or local municipality from declaring an airgun to be a firearm. Not only do the federal firearms laws NOT apply to airguns, they CANNOT be applied by law! But that doesn't get us out of the woods.

However...
IF you have an airgun silencer, and IF it can be removed and installed on a firearm, and IF it then quiets that firearm - that silencer meets the legal definition and is subject to the law. However, in the United States, a person is considered innocent until proven guilty, so it is also necessary to prove intent, as in you intended to use the silencer in your possession on a firearm."

I will be interested to see what you learn from the game wardens where you live.
Molon Labe

#178819 - 03/09/19 12:09 PM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

David,
When I first got my Air Force Airguns Condor (22) I put on my TAC-65 suppressor that I have for my Walther P-22.

If anything,it AMPLIFIED the noise!! A quick inquiry to Air Force Air Guns revealed that air guns have a different sound signature.

Probably air rifle suppressors are built for the lower pressures of air guns. If you could adapt one to a firearm (and violate a serious law) it probably would be destroyed with the first shot.

I am certain that the Game Wardens that I will see the end of the month would have a much better reply.

I have two air gun suppressors on order;

A TKO Air Guns moderator for my Benjamin 22 discovery and the other from Talon Tunes for the Condor.

#178820 - 03/09/19 12:26 PM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: Wayne Dengler]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne--

I suspect that Game Wardens in general don't know the answer, nor do other law enforcement officers because this might just fall into a gray area. It would require looking into the laws of each state, and almost certainly finding that particular states have no law on the books, and those that do have laws would almost certainly differ in how those laws are written.

The air gun community should get together and get a consistent approach implemented across state jurisdictions. Maybe start by getting a clarification at the Federal level. And if the Federal level (BATFE) gives an ambiguous or undesirable answer, then work to get a law put in place.

In the absence of clear law on the subject, any one person who comes to the attention of a law enforcement officer could become the test case in their own state or even at the Federal level.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#178830 - 03/10/19 05:38 AM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: LarryWW1246]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lincolnshire,England
Hi Wayne,who'd have thought that UK gun laws would be more sensible than yours,go figure.
The use of moderators on PCP air rifles is almost universal over here,without them they give off quite a harsh bark,no problem at a range but if hunting it can be limiting.A lot of rifles come moderated off the shelf.
The most popular brands are Weihrauch,Air Arms and Huggett.
I use the Weihrauch on my .22 HW100 KT Weihrauch PCP
and the Air Arms Q Tec on my .177 S400 Air Arms PCP
I do not bother to moderate my only Spring rifle a Weihrauch HW35k in .22.
When moderated the rifles are very quiet and I would say cannot be heard at all
from 60 feet away.
We are limited to 12 ft lb's of muzzle energy (without them being on a firearms certificate) so our realistic max range for airgun quarry is 40 yards (for me 30yards) having a quiet rifle if a follow up shot is offered is essential.
Higher powered airguns are available over here but I have not come across any that offer the same power as say a .22 rimfire,although they do give very high accuracy and stealth.

Edited by Neale_Jenkinson (03/10/19 05:45 AM)

#178834 - 03/10/19 09:25 AM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: Neale_Jenkinson]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry,
Federal law prohibits air guns to be classified as firearms so ATF has no say in the matter.

I was an LEO for 40 yrs and do know that a lot of law questions seem to go right into a gray area of interpretation.

Neale,

I occasionally get two UK air gun publications ( Air Gun World and Air Gun Shooter) and I must say that you folks are really into air guns seriously.

Good to see that the farmers/ranchers give permission for you air gunners to go out and take care of the rats/pigeons/starlings and other vermin.

Looks like a win win situation there!!

The suppressor for my Benjamin Discovery arrived yesterday so I will be installing it today.

Wayne

#178837 - 03/10/19 11:14 AM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
My Gamo came with a supressor and scope and is quite powerful and accurate.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#178841 - 03/10/19 01:38 PM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy,
If I am not misken,GAMO is probably the largest air gun maker in Europe.

They have a very strong presence here too.

Wayne

#178843 - 03/10/19 06:02 PM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Gamo or
Weihrauch I think?

#178869 - 03/11/19 09:18 AM Re: Airgun Suppressors/Silencers [Re: Sphinx3000]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sphinx,
I think that both are top notch and probably neck and neck in popularity.

In my area,you see more Gamo though as they are offered in more places.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman