Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171002 - 05/08/18 11:39 AM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind * [Re: LarryWW1246]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Sphinx3000--

Broke won't last, happy will.

Larry

That is what I keep telling my wife, LOL

#171012 - 05/08/18 07:52 PM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: Sphinx3000]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That is a great get! That is such a great blade! Congrats!
One of the few things that you can go broke buying that is worth what you paid or more later on.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#171016 - 05/09/18 05:41 AM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: Chief]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Chief! You are absolutely right. The Randall's are a joy to own an admire and also hold their value, that is always a good thing indeed. I was lucky to get this 12-9 #14 grind. My Smithsonian with the Amboyna burl from the Captain should be here any day. Can't wait to see and hold that one.

Last January I ordered another Smithsonian from Nordic Knives. It should be ready by the end of October. I could pick the desert ironwood for it. I love to know upfront the wood or stag that is coming on a knife that I order. To see a piece of wood or stag you like being turned into a beautiful knife handle is something special.
But I don't have to tell you:D I saw that you even buy your own wood and stag, when I was reading some of your posts. You have some outstanding knives!!!

The Smithsonian I ordered will have an ironwood burl handle, nickel silver forward curved double hilt, black and duralumin spacers and a rounded nickel silver butt cap.

The 12-9 #14 is the last for this year. I am starting to become a Randall junkie and my wife also has a few things in the house she wants done. She even encouraged me to buy the last knife (I have a sweet wife :d) so I can't complain. Next year I will be looking for something with musk ox (I find that material amazing) and/or thuya burl.

This is the ironwood burl from Nordic Knives for the Smithsonian:

Attachments
------Irnwood Nordic Knives..jpg

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/09/18 09:43 AM)

#171034 - 05/09/18 07:25 PM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: Sphinx3000]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Call Duke MaCaa for your Musk Ox.
Look at lots of knives done in ox 1st & feel free to pm me if you want to talk about the different looks that it can have.
I learned from the Capt. that a natural end is a great look as well.

I will be at Blade this year let me know some of the types of wood you my be interested in & I'll try to hunt it down for you.
Nice piece of ironwood good that it's light colored as it will get darker over time.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#171036 - 05/09/18 08:04 PM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: Chief]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Chief for your advice! I am gonna do exactly what you said regarding the Musk Ox. I will certainly take you up on your offer to send you a pm if I have questions.

Someday in the (near) future I will go to Blade, must be great to be there. I am also a gun nut, so Shot Show is also on my bucket-list.

Real nice of you, that you are willing to look for fancy wood at Blade. What comes to my mind is a beautiful piece of thuya burl for a Smithsonian or a sportsman Bowie. But I don't know if there is a big difference with that of the shop? Randall seems to also have real nice thuya burl.

When you have ironwood there is a lot of difference between the wood as you know. I don't know if that is as much the case with thuya? I have to educate myself more on this wood type by looking at pictures on the internet laugh
If some other wood pops in my mind I will let you know Chief.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (05/09/18 08:31 PM)

#175517 - 10/27/18 01:49 AM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: LarryWW1246]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
I managed to get hold of a nice 12-9 S/S Stag with Nickel Silver Guard (FORWARD curved) just before departing for this Winter at Gt. Barrier Island here in NZ. for past 3x Months

While my Cold Steel LTC Kukri is still my # 1 slasher when clearing the Bush tracks, the #12 has had a good work out.
I use it when just light tidying up is needed when going for a walk rather than dedicated clearing of Gorse etc. The Gorse is hard on the Edge and also on my hands !

I have been doing this pretty much every 2nd day, balanced out with Sea Kayaking on alternate days as I enjoy both. My #25 5 inch is on my Leather belt in Dry pack along with Survival gear in Kayak, i.e. not worn.
For what it is worth, what I have noted over past 3x months..

1/ I always use a wrist loop even when wearing Youngstown gloves for extra control, rather than the extra retention aspect. This is the configuration where the loop goes over the back of hand and then over the thumb, NOT over the wrist as name suggests. I use a loop made of the reflective Goughlans tent guy line available at Outdoor stores rather than Para cord, just in case I drop it in the Bush or River when releasing it in a fall. (it happens)

2/ I have relieved the area in front of Guard both top and bottom, both sides to give more comfort when “Choking up” as this gives me more control and ability to “Wrist Flick” which is especially applicable when cutting lighter grass and reeds. The near 90 degree finish on Guard was irritating the crease in trigger finger. This moderation is hardly noticeable when looking at the Guard, just enough to make a considerable difference in comfort.

I have found it a lovely knife to use and carry through the Bush even though the Stag handles are quite smooth. This would be a issue to me if used without gloves for longer time each day.
I don't want to roughen up Stag with wet/dry paper as I enjoy looking at the Stag as is.

Anyway, just my observations on a lovely Knife.

Edited by needfull things (10/27/18 01:55 AM)

#175520 - 10/27/18 09:02 AM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: needfull things]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I don't want to discourage using any Randall knife, but you might want to consider a Woodman's Pal, the one with the handle guard. It sounds perfect for what you are describing.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#175522 - 10/27/18 10:00 AM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: pappy19]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Ah, I agree with Pap.

And Pap knows! wink
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#175528 - 10/27/18 04:19 PM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: TonyLaPetri]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Then he could pack a Model 5 Braford Angier instead. Here's a link.

Pap

https://www.woodmanspal.com/

Edited by pappy19 (10/27/18 04:23 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#175571 - 10/29/18 02:23 AM Re: Knife of the week Model #12-9 #14 grind [Re: pappy19]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
Thanks for the info and link Guys. Interesting looking “tool”
If I'm cutting grassy stuff, I'll take along my Fijian Cane Knife (32 inches O/A length) with hook on top ($10).

The Silky Saw gets used on thicker Gorse trunks.

I guess I just like using the #12 and look for a excuse to swing it...

Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod