Clinton Knives James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Click here to pay your $10 sale fees ->
Click here to pay your $25 annual fee ->
KF Forum
Registration

(click here)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177261 - 01/02/19 08:02 PM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: crutchtip]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Joe,

I've owned a few Bish knives. These were well documented examples in fact featured in magazine articles. Think of them as a kit blade. Tommy finished them off as far as I know. Nothing to suggest he altered finished knives. They had his personal touch. Just my .02c. GCTom has the ones I had and many more. He can add much more information.
I'll edit to apologize. I didn't realize this is a for sale post. Probably needs to be moved to a new thread.

Edited by W Polidori (01/02/19 08:31 PM)

#177262 - 01/02/19 08:30 PM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: W Polidori]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Tommy Bish, at one time or another, did "all-of-the-above! He was granted "blade-only" privileges just like Tom & Gail. "Most" of Tommy's knives were of his creation, whether they started out completed (which many, many did) or not.
Best, Capt. Chris
Gail White "blade-only" shown below...CCS

Attachments
------Gail White-W-D.JPG

------Gail White-W-J.JPG

------Gail White-W-H.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#177264 - 01/02/19 10:12 PM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

so GW had the skill and materials to silver solder hilts on? Then final polish and sharpen the blade? She shaped the hilts? Was she simply getting partially finished pieces and putting handles on? That is the way it looks.

IF you remember Tommy C had 2-3 Bish knives at Gator last year I think it was. Kinda crude compared to TL if I remember correctly.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#177265 - 01/03/19 07:14 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: crutchtip]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Here is an article on Bish kit knives.

https://www.randallmadeknife.com/1967-gun-world/

#177266 - 01/03/19 08:14 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: tunefink]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Mitch. So, Bish was supplied kit knives and finished them at a fairly high level on some examples. If you look in part 2, you will see the butt of one knife that is "scalloped" or at least it is his attempt at a decorative finish. That is an example of some I have seen, and to me, it was just ok.

Cap would know better, but I think my statement about TL being the only one that had Bo's approval, i.e. his work was endorsed by the shop. You will note, the work that TL did on RMK's was a bit different on many of his examples compared to Bish or White. It could be highly decorative, and I don't see that from the others. Didn't White do some engraving?

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#177267 - 01/03/19 08:53 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: crutchtip]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Joe,

The engraving on the # 1 Fighter is quite good.

I agree nothing compares to Tom Leschorn, especially his works done during the Seventies through the Eighties! The Continent's Series of knives was a Masterpiece.

His engraving on wood & metal; the checkering on wood & ivory; and the incredible mix of gold inlays he did on his engravings are truly works of art.

However, some of his earliest engravings on metal were where he honed his skills; they could be considered crude in comparison to his later works of art. His amazing ability to carve Ivory inlays of extraordinary detail on small pieces I believe set him apart from everyone.

I now have (4) of Tommy Bish Kit Knives and three of the ones I have I would agree are crude. The 4th one though does have engravings like Mitchell's article show along with Eddie Layton Scrimshaw. No sheath however came with this knife when I bought it and that was always the tell-tale; Tommy Bish signed and dated the back of his sheaths (in the Crudest manner with a magic marker).

I have attached a few photos of the Tommy Bish KIT Knives that I have showing the back of the sheaths.

Tom Flynn

Attachments
------Bo-signed blade, Old Yeller, Layton Scrimmed and engraved 9 inch-Kit Knife Nickel Silver-KT.jpg

------Bo-signed blade, Old Yeller, Layton Scrimmed and engraved 9 inch-Kit Knife Nickel Silver-002-KT.jpg

------Tommy Bish Kit Knife-Back-KT.jpg

------Tommy Bish Kit Knife-Staghorn Back-KT.jpg

------Tommy Bish Kit Trio Knives-KT.jpg

------Tommy_Bish_19_kit-KT.jpg

RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#177268 - 01/03/19 09:14 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: GCTom41]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Tom. This is an area I am not too well versed on and is an interesting part of RMK history. I have seen many examples, but never really put much thought into it. I do recall the signing of sheaths as you describe.

The #2, is that an acquisitions from the last couple of years? I seem to have seen that knife before.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#177269 - 01/03/19 09:29 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: crutchtip]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Buckspen,

Perhaps you should re-post your for sale thread since all of us, me included, have hijacked your posting.

My apologies.

#177270 - 01/03/19 09:37 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: crutchtip]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Joe,

Bought from Captain Chris 3+ years ago. Was shown with a sheath in 1991 Crider Collection Green Catalog.

Tom Flynn

Attachments
------1991_P5A.jpg

RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#177271 - 01/03/19 09:56 AM Re: #1 Fighter with walnut handle and compass [Re: GCTom41]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Fine looking 1-8 Bruce. I love the compass on a #1-8, have not seen too many with that option.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod