Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170216 - 04/12/18 08:34 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Lofty,
I picked up a Mossberg Shock Wave yesterday in 12 ga. I am quite happy with the way it is made.

In comparison,at least to me,it is way better than the Remington TAC-14.

I will be taking it to the outdoor range on Saturday to test it out,first with light trap loads,then Federal reduced recoil 00 buck and then what I consider "carry rounds for it,Winchester PDX1.

I agree with you,back on Jan 1,1964,Winchester,overnight,turned classics (Model 94,70,12) into clunkers.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Dengler (04/12/18 08:35 AM)

#170225 - 04/12/18 01:03 PM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

whahoo!!new toy new toy new toy new toy play play play new toy new toy...

On a practical side, after excercising gun a good bit to wear off coatings and whatnot, a disassembly and light grease of areas showing rub marks over a general wipedown with CLP or fave gun oil will greatly improve smoothness.

Looking forward to blasting reviews....they are never what I would call truly fun, but, my, do they work....but, I am a scrawnier more guys in a helicopter 165lb build, so you might have more fun.

Edited by Lofty (04/12/18 01:04 PM)

#170262 - 04/13/18 07:39 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
My standard practice is to field strip a new piece and take out the factory goop and relube it.

I use A-Zoom dummy rounds to run through it a few (ok,many) times and make sure all systems are go.

The outdoor range opens for the season tomorrow and wonder of wonders,it should be good weather until yet another cold front makes an appearance.

The next week I will take it out for several more sessions.

Range report will be made probably by Sunday morning.

Wayne

#170281 - 04/14/18 08:37 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
Thank you for the very good advice but I will just try to keep my Shock Wave pretty much stock. What I did do is smooth out the safety as I had heard that some folks got cuts form the sharp edges.

An XS front sight,when it comes in,will be put on. And maybe a metal safety after I smooth it out but right now the factory safety is looking pretty good.

Wayne

#170302 - 04/15/18 12:59 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not suggesting any changes, but, will note that one friend actually had the plastic safety button break to pieces on his early 590 before it was called the 590, years back, after who knows how many thousands of rounds, and it was replaced with a then custom metal unit made by someone he knew.

The safety screw is made to be unscrewtable, but can be done...tightest fitting driver, and something gritty, such as brasso on blade to help prevent slipping can help a great deal.

The milspec for shotguns often quoted by Mossberg simply states required attributes, has undergone numerous revisions over the years, but essentially specifies things such as gauge, that it have a metal trigger group, metal safety button, steel be parkerized, etc etc yawn.

The 590A1 was a specific contract answer to requests from several different, and at different times, user groups beginning with Navy and Marines, for a shotgun able to handle clanging into steel coamings and bulkheads during repel boarders, and ending up being found quite good on land for hard use.

Nowadays the Marines sold on the self-loaders, despite many finding them not near as slide-action easy to maintain, but, they also can find user groups saying they never break, wear out, and are nearly self-cleaning (sound familiar?) to support their purchase.

On the lubing, when looking at Glocks one day long ago (yep, here it comes, another side track onto Gaston'z Gunz, even if discussing Coke vs Pepsi), and noting them using a unique, unnamed, magical substance that, whatever you do, don't remove it when cleaning or the gun will explode!, (copper based anti-sieze) from the factory to prevent galling of small stamped stainless parts at sear/disconnector, I decided they might know what they were doing as for a better than average idea for a gun lube. Except, I could go them one better, because both copper and graphite based anti-sieze can cause/accelerate dissimilar metal corrosion in high heat/stress enviornments, I fell back on a non-corrosive high heat anti-sieze compound on hand, which is nothing but a really pure grease with value added micro-crystalline etc (ie paraffin for all the RenWax fanatics), and the unique additive being bunches of powdered lead, a little half pint tin weighing several pounds. As many know, lead is an extremely slick metal, and this stuff is great in various gun applications, the powdered lead smears into the surface as a lubricant plating that lubes long after run dry.

So, my Mossberg, of course, got the treatment. I generally tell folk with new Mossbergs to just squirt some oil or whatever liberally and run it for a bit before messing with a real teardown and quality lube job, as it will just be crapped out right off the bat by anodize from aluminum wear spots, oxide or parkerize from the steel, and of course the usual metal as bearing surfaces seat in an unpolished modern gun.

Hope the snow holds off, we have not seen any since last weekend, this week it was dodging tornados and baseball sized hail with 25-55 normal gusting winds.

Edited by Lofty (04/15/18 01:17 AM)

#170305 - 04/15/18 08:02 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The range session with the Shock Wave went very well yesterday. Recoil was basically pretty much a non event.

With my older (1950s era) Model 500s I had no real problem with the safety screw. I will keep the metal one on the sidelines until I need it.

Hopefully they changed the formula for the plastic ones now.

Function with the new firearm was flawless and pretty much will get better as time/use goes on.

I am totally please with the product. Should have purchased one when they first came out.

Wayne

#170311 - 04/15/18 01:56 PM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep, it actually is more "fun" to shoot than a Cruiser, and folk have been shooting them for years.

Although I could see the Raptor grip, being free to slide, rather than pounding web of hand as with the Cruiser grip, letting safety get someone, somehow, sawed off straight grips with full powered buckshot normally have been more a problem with trigger guard slamming middle finger knuckle on bottom side.

But, the Shockwave ties the front hand to the gun, allowing it to actually hold on, for a change, as gun jets backwards, and slow it down, so, as for a safety getting someone, well, I guess it can be done, if just letting it fly loose for some reason. Like, maybe afraid of getting hurt by it, and a loose grip, which is always a worse idea than letting body move with recoil on hard kickers by holding on tight and going for the ride instead of getting hit by the ride.

I think it a great whippet. No loss of capacity and shortest front possible while keeping that capacity. If one wants a repeater and/or no paperwork, impossible to beat. I keep waiting for them to get shut down, but, as with the Cruiser, the more out there makes that less likely, the boat was missed when the law folk did not REQUIRE shotguns be shoulder fired back when the Cruiser came out, and the TC, etc.

#170336 - 04/16/18 11:42 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
I agree with you there.

I guess with y Bond Arms Texas Defender in 410 on my hip and the Shock Wave in the truck. I am pretty much prepared to repel any and all boarders!!!

I am darn glad that I picked mine up,should have done it when they first came out.

Wayne

#170424 - 04/19/18 08:33 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I took the Shock Wave to the range again yesterday. I also had installed a large XS front sight on it.

Seems the more I fire this piece,the better I like it.

Like I had said before,the recoil is really a non-event.

Wayne

#170425 - 04/19/18 09:05 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Wayne,

Who needs a front sight on a close range scatter gun?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman