Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176756 - 12/11/18 09:35 PM Re: Engraving [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Thanks Tony! I believe they call it English scroll engraving. I read somewhere that the good engravers around the twenties/thirties in London, worked for different companies like Holland & Holland, Purdey, Watson Bros and were mostly self employed. They were hired externally by these companies.

#176757 - 12/11/18 10:01 PM Re: Engraving [Re: Sphinx3000]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Interesting I'll have to give it a try.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#176758 - 12/11/18 10:05 PM Re: Engraving [Re: Chief]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I love to shoot these competitions. I also tried IPSC a couple of times which is also fun. Do you also shoot competition Chief?

#176763 - 12/12/18 11:19 AM Re: Engraving [Re: Sphinx3000]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
I am basically right-handed with left eye dominant. When I started shooting in the mid-60's with the CU team, the coach had me wear an eye patch over my left eye. Later, in the service, I was taught to focus using my right eye and ignore my left.
Now, in my 70's, I have developed the habit of slightly squinting my left eye to focus on my right. Yeah, it causes fatigue and probably reduces my ability, but I still have fun.
Molon Labe

#176764 - 12/12/18 12:43 PM Re: Engraving [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have a right lazy eye and when they discovered it, it was to late to patch it up. I was to old. I believe when you are older then eight, it doesn't help anymore. I don't have squinting eyes so my parents and the doctor didn't noticed it.

There are a lot worse things in life, so I am not complaining. Indeed having a good time while shooting is the most important. The fun thing is, that I can outshout practically everybody (if not everybody) with a pistol at our shooting club. Yes, I know that sounds a little arrogant laugh I can also give a very long list of things that I am not good at, so this keeps it a little in balance laugh

Edited by Sphinx3000 (12/12/18 12:50 PM)

#176771 - 12/12/18 08:16 PM Re: Engraving [Re: Sphinx3000]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
I love to shoot these competitions. I also tried IPSC a couple of times which is also fun. Do you also shoot competition Chief?

No I can't give it the time I think it deserves.
I shoot with a lot of police officers & former military that want me to shoot on their squad.
I shoot better than some of them often........but I think that practice & friendly competition & real competition are very different.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#176776 - 12/13/18 04:30 AM Re: Engraving [Re: Chief]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

but I think that practice & friendly competition & real competition are very different. [/quote]

True, real competition ads stress. In my case I must sometimes go to other shooting ranges, where they are being held. That is always less fun then a competition on your "own" range. A few hours drive to shoot five or ten minutes and half or more of the day is gone... I sometimes do it (a lot more in the past) but mostly do friendly competition at
our own club.

Edited by Sphinx3000 (12/13/18 04:33 AM)

#177662 - 01/27/19 12:38 AM Re: Engraving [Re: Sphinx3000]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
I've tried shooting with both eyes closed, that doesn't work either..
Stunning engraving.
A bargain at $120 as a Work of Art.

#177663 - 01/27/19 03:49 AM Re: Engraving [Re: needfull things]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

LOL Thanks, yeah I was lucky to find this one. I once called the company in London about the age of the gun and the background. They wanted 75 pound to look it up, that is about as much as I paid for the whole shotgun, haha I read somewhere about another owner of a Watson Bros shotgun who knew the age of his gun, and with that information, I could figure out the approximate date.

Arrogant sounding
owner of that shotgun company, all they have to do is look in the old order book and mail it to me. 15 pounds would have been enough also in my opinion. They are used to people spending 50k or more on a shotgun, and probably laugh ad somebody with a deactivated shotgun. This is a company that serves the lords and the other real rich people in England. To bad for him because I was just thinking about buying one of his new shotguns, but after that experience decided to keep our house laugh

Here is an
interesting YouTube video about the company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX2OeSx7keg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtVW2gSJ40

They do make real nice rifles!

Edited by Sphinx3000 (01/27/19 04:03 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jim459, Perry Miller