James Behring Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174263 - 09/09/18 03:31 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: coachblalock]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
Squirrels and rabbits here. I'll be using a marlin model 60 that I sank way too much money into, and a NEF single shot 20 gauge. Cleaning duties performed with a small gambler.

Edited by Brent (09/09/18 03:33 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#174264 - 09/09/18 04:42 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: Brent]
Wayne Dengler Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Brent,
Nothing at all wrong with the Marlin Model 60 and the single shot 20 gauge is pretty much a classic.

Always works,load it and it goes boom everytime.

Wayne

#174266 - 09/09/18 07:29 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
Oh, I know there's nothing wrong with the model 60, its just that I rebuilt it this spring and summer, larger target type trigger, new style feed ramp, replaced all the springs. I figure that even at a buck an hour for my time, hunting down the parts, I could have bought a brand new one, but it wouldn't have the memories this one has.

#174275 - 09/10/18 09:16 AM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: Brent]
Wayne Dengler Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Brent,
That is basically the same story that probably most of us have.

The Marlin Model 60 has pretty much been their bread & butter gun for decades.

I think when they brought it out decades ago,it was one of their first or maybe the first to have the "micro-groove" rifling.

I have never heard anyone complain about their model 60,only good reports.

Wayne

#174323 - 09/11/18 08:17 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York

#174490 - 09/19/18 09:16 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: W Polidori]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Elk hunting is becoming more hazardous.

I have read several accounts of the guide being killed east of Teton National Park last Friday.

Different details are disclosed in different online articles, but the gist is that his bow hunting client hit an elk on Thursday, late enough for the guide to say they would come back on Friday to find it and pack it out.

When they found the elk the next day, there was a sow grizzly and a full-grown cub in the vicinity. There was no evidence that the bears had fed on the elk, but while the two men were going to work on it the sow charged them.

The guide emptied a can of bear spray on her without deterring her, and she bore in and attacked him. The client made it to his horse where he had a pistol. Not getting a clear shot and being afraid of hitting the guide, he threw the pistol in an attempt to get it to the guide. At that, the bear came for him and dragged him off his horse (most accounts don't mention the horse), inflicted non-life threatening injuries on him, and then returned to her attack on the guide.

The client "ran" away, calling for help on his cell phone (again, no mention of the horse--it probably ran for its life). He was evacuated by helicopter, treated at the local hospital, and returned home to Florida a day or two later.

Teams of 4 to 5 Game and Fish Department personnel went into the area and recovered the guide's body on Saturday, the bears having dragged it away from the site of the attack. They also set leg snares to catch and hold any bears in the area so they could be evaluated. They went back in and found one bear in a snare, and while they were approaching it they were charged by a sow and had to shoot her. It turned out these were the same two bears that had been involved in the attack, and even though the younger bear had not engaged in the initial attack on the guide and his client, the evidence showed it had been in contact with the guide's body, so they euthanized it.

The behavior of these bears has some people scratching their heads (maybe we should say "this" bear, because the sow was the only one to attack these two men). As one source reported: "these bears didn't appear to be after the meat and weren't taken by surprise...."

But we can speculate that with more bears out there, and them becoming accustomed to having people around, there will be more encounters. Another source reported that in the greater Yellowstone area: "Wildlife officials killed at least nine grizzlies last year due to livestock attacks. Hunters acting in self-defense killed 15 grizzlies."

One lesson to take from this recent incident is that a guide needs to be armed with a bear-stopping weapon, even in bow season. Game officials might oppose this out of concern that people will kill elk illegally with a gun, but there should be a level of integrity on the part of the guides to avoid this--after all, if they get caught shooting an animal it would be pretty costly for them

From what I have seen, the guides generally don't carry guns even during gun season, although occasionally they will carry a pistol--but for safety sake they need sufficient stopping power to deal with a bear like the one that killed this guide.

Larry

Edited by LarryWW1246 (09/19/18 09:19 PM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#174501 - 09/20/18 09:14 AM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Next year will begin my 50th year of elk hunting in the greater Yellowstone area. The Island Park area just west of the Park boundary, has a very high population of grizzly bears and is a major elk hunting area.

I started working for the Forest Service in June 1969 and was chased up a tree by a grizzly my 2nd day of work. I carried a Ruger .44 mag every day after that. I only 1 other incident, but was close to my truck so didn't need to use my firearm. I now carry a Glock 20 in 10mm with a Diamond D guide chest holster. Be advised that the greater Yellowstone area is checked full of grizzly bears, plus around Glacier the same situation. Be prepared.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#174506 - 09/20/18 12:13 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: coachblalock]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here's a picture of my daughter's first bull elk and my oldest grandson, now 24 with 2 little girls. 2007.

Pap

Attachments
------20180920_101146.jpg

Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#174514 - 09/20/18 01:47 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: pappy19]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mike--

Curious what ammo you carry in the 10mm? Especially the bullets.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#174523 - 09/20/18 04:54 PM Re: Fall Hunting 2018 [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Full metal jackets. I've seen 44 mag hunting loads blow up when hitting a big grizz, so the FMJ's I use have a flat nose not pointed. I am using Sellier & Ballot 180gr. ammo.

A side note; I was visiting with an older gentleman, that actually was 11 years old in 1889 when his parents homesteaded on Henry's Lake Flat. He told me that if possible, you can get a one shot kill on any bear, if you shoot it in the throat. No heavy skin or bones to keep the bullet from hitting the spine. I've only done that once on a black bear with a 243 and the bear collapsed and never moved. He stood up to wind me and I had a perfect throat shot.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (09/20/18 04:59 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman