Stanback Knives Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173508 - 08/03/18 12:57 AM Must have...Don't have...
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
We all have a "bucket list' of sorts, at least usn's with seniority! I have been fortunate in my life to have already fulfilled a decent portion of mine. My bucket is, by absolute, no means full and it probably will never be. I think that is how it is supposed to be..."BUT"...(Alright: Got a "but" in in the 1st paragraph)...I ain't goin' down without a fight to get it full!
I have also been fortunate enough to own some killer knives...no doubt. Still: There are always "some"...or "one" that eludes me. I'm sure it's the same with some of you. So....How about sharing your "itch"...needing scratching.
It doesn't have to be extremely hard-to-find although we'd love to hear about those too. It could just be a Randall knife that you've wanted, had and let go, or even "thought" you might wanna' have. Let's dedicate this thread to sharing your aspirations...and trying to stay "on track" and "on topic".
One for me that would delve into the exotic and expensive would be a mint white tenite #14 or #15. Not very expensive at their introduction, future...more superior...handle materials would lead to tenite's demise and enter it into the realm of a "drop-dead" collectible RMK today!
I have owned one..."back in the day"... we tenured knife freaks would say. It was not "mint" enough for me (or so I thought). In that time period (late 1960's) "stuff" came up-n-around time and again and there was no urgency to acquire these things. Of course, that was before Al Gore invented the internet.
Other RMKs would also still help to wet my whistle...how about you folks?
Let's hear from you. Stay sharp,
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#173512 - 08/03/18 08:18 AM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I know what mine is without thinkin. I couldn't afford it right now, but by the time BLADE rolls around I'll be able to. Tune had one a year or two ago that fit my criteria perfectly, and it was pictured in one of Hunt's books... a WW2 brass furnace link model 2 in beautiful condition. Everything after that is gravy!

#173517 - 08/03/18 09:05 AM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Wally]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Being land locked in the Midwest mine would be a 60's era Model 16. Micrata handle with plugged holes.but any 60' era would be sweet.
Walter Horn RKCC#CM-012 RKS#5924

#173518 - 08/03/18 09:18 AM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
I would love one of the first 20 or so Astros that were made for the Mercury program back in the 60s. As some of you may remember, one popped up on eBay a couple years ago.....I wanted it so bad, but unfortunately a little too rich for my blood. In hindsight, should have bought it and sold off other Randall’s to finance it (but would have been a good portion of my collection)....ugh.

Edited by Doug74 (08/03/18 09:18 AM)

#173521 - 08/03/18 11:21 AM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Doug74]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mine are pretty simple... and all 3 would really require a good quality lamp for me to rub!!!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#173523 - 08/03/18 11:41 AM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: RamKingJC]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
...& don't forget Barbara Eden!
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#173525 - 08/03/18 12:43 PM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
I would like to get a 50's Model #1, I like the blades.

NRA Life Member

#173527 - 08/03/18 01:56 PM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Robert Frey]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
Randall Smithsonian Bowie early 50's, stacked leather handle with Clarence J. Moore sheath.

#173529 - 08/03/18 02:09 PM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: Kirko]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Any Randall hunting knife with a AGM or Old Yellow micarta handle. oldguy

#173530 - 08/03/18 02:57 PM Re: Must have...Don't have... [Re: oldguy]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
5-6 in my usual configuration but with a unlined lanyard hole with countersunk smooth edges. I believe I have seen such a lanyard hole on older #14-15's in one of the books.

Another feature would be a canteen snap on the sheath.. I owned a knife with a canteen snap sheath and it just seemed easier to close while on the hip.

As far as vintage, a new a WW2 era 1-7 with a brand new period sheath would really be something special. Reading the first few chapters of the Gaddis book really makes me wish I could order one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod