Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171878 - 06/14/18 09:01 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
"If it's all about functionality a Randall isn't really the best choice in general"

What did you expect from a Randall forum when you start bashing RMK's? As you have for years...A red carpet welcome?

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#171879 - 06/14/18 09:07 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Whoaaaaaaa....THATS uncalled for!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#171880 - 06/14/18 09:15 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
I just so happen to be lucky enough to have my own land that I can play around on. Yeah I have been into the outdoors since I could walk. Ever since my old uncle started giving me Knives around age 8 I was hooked. I had a sea bees knife on my hip daily at that age and I didn't abuse it! Later on when I discovered other makers claims like Busse combat etc of toughness that big knives got real popular as well as more of a one tool for every task idea got popular so I played around with a few knives and split some wood and what not.

I only ever dinked the blade once on a Randall and the 28 might have been a fluke.

You see in order to play with toys like guns and knives you need to have a few million dollars in land. I wouldn't have much of a outdoors hobby. The whole Bushcraft thing has gotten big but if you don't have real close access to public lands or own your own you aren't doing anything outdoors.

It's the same thing with guys talking guns. I actually carry my guns I carry my fn scar on my shoulder through tall grass and brush but weekend range guys don't understand things like that.

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
The Buxton fighter was designed for this reason...to be a FIGHTER...

I know a local helicopter pilot who cut himself out of a down helicopter TWICE during Vietnam with his Model 18...

I'm glad to hear you'll "probably" be selling your new model 5 because of your decisions in the past of (your words) the abuse you put YOUR knives through... "Your knives" being the key words here, do as you wish with them but quit bitching when they "fail" because of you setting out to see just how much ABUSE they can take before they "fail"...

Frankly speaking here, I for one am not jumping for joy with YOUR return to these forums...

#171881 - 06/14/18 09:17 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
@Leatherman

Now, now kids no need for name calling.
But seriously, (no offence) but if you think a Randall isn't functional, why do you buy them?
Admit it, you know they are good knives and you love the way they look laugh
I am having my Smithsonian on my lap. I never have seen a knife that impressive! The same applies for the 12-9. Then that classic look of the model 1, man I love Randall's. For the money, taking in account that they are hand forged, they are not that expensive. Sure, there must be some high tech super duper new knives out there, that will outperform a Randall, but Randall wouldn't have existed 80 years if there knives where just to be looked at.

#171882 - 06/14/18 09:22 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Modern Scandi grinds cut wood like nobody's business that and a good axe your pretty much set for wilderness useage. The 5-6 is more of a smaller one tool for every task kind of knife. Really the whole subject is really complicated and one tool can't do everything

#171883 - 06/14/18 09:26 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Well,

Here we go ... again.

Name calling. Not mature. Not helpful. Not needed.

This is why you were not missed.

To the Gentleman who started this post, you'll find many opinions here MOST of them helpful.
Nothing wrong with having a "safe queen" or two.
I do. Many of us do. And we have our favorite users.
#5 is Great for the woods. So is the #3, #4,#8, #7, #26,
#28 (Great!),#23.
...So many models, so little time! grin

Please feel free to continue to ask advise of us who LOVE Randall Knives!

Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#171884 - 06/14/18 09:32 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Sphinx3000]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The 5-6 setup the way I like it is pretty close. A 14 is a nice one tool option if you have the setting for it. I would say the 5-6 is as perfect as it gets in the Randall catalog.

The sheaths are perfect a very much over looked aspect.

I haven't cleaned enough deer to know much about a game knife other than it gets real nasty and slippery hah.

Originally Posted By: Sphinx3000
@Leatherman

Now, now kids no need for name calling.
But seriously, (no offence) but if you think a Randall isn't functional, why do you buy them?
Admit it, you know they are good knives and you love the way they look laugh
I am having my Smithsonian on my lap. I never have seen a knife that impressive! The same applies for the 12-9. Then that classic look of the model 1, man I love Randall's. For the money, taking in account that they are hand forged, they are not that expensive. Sure, there must be some high tech super duper new knives out there, that will outperform a Randall, but Randall wouldn't have existed 80 years if there knives where just to be looked at.

#171885 - 06/14/18 09:32 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Buy a few different brand an types of knives and an ax, problem solved!

#171886 - 06/14/18 09:33 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I don't know, but I used my Model 5-5" for 20 years for every thing at camp, fishing, hunting and home duties. I have no doubt it would take care of an enemy as well. To each his own. Randall makes a knife design for any pleasure. Heck, most every Randall could be used for any service or use.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#171887 - 06/14/18 09:38 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I post rarely these days (as retired now and doing a lot of other things with my life besides playing with knives in the woods as a "USER" guy). That being said, I bought my brother-in-law a model 28 and he harvested a lot of deer in Michigan over the years with that knife. Never broke it either.

Nice thing about knives is you can collect them, use them, sell them, fish with them, or display them in your home.
No need to torture test a given knife and then bad-mouth the knife on the forum dedicated to that specific brand of knife.
I would have expected better from a hard core USER type guy, but that is just my opinion. Carry On.
Tom V.
I like #4s and #1 grinds

Edited by Tom Vaught (06/14/18 09:40 PM)

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod