Miles Swelze Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171862 - 06/14/18 05:39 PM Which knife to use, or not use
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So I'm pretty new to Randall but the thought of not using my knives is kind of beyond me. I have an older 80's 18 and a newer Buxton fighter. Both are in great shape and have not been used. I'm not hunting with them rather just a camp/utility kind of thing. If I had to put one in the do not use catagory which one would that be? I guess part of the question is which one is more desirable in unused shape further on up the road? Thanks for reading, nice forum!

May as well kill some more birds with this one thread maybe, but I want to order a knife for each of my three sons. They would be more inclined to store and not use. Which model/models should I get them? Thanks y'all,

#171863 - 06/14/18 06:15 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Pass those two on instead of using them for camp knives. Buy yourself some knives that are more suited for your intentions. Just my two cents.
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#171864 - 06/14/18 06:22 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Tattoo Bill]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Bill, but why? Too expensive, or only made for survival or fighting?!

#171865 - 06/14/18 06:57 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Bills point is based in the Buxton is a dealer special, so NOT a lot of them running around.

And #18's always old a special place for collectors, especially vintage ones.

Of the 2 the Buxton probably is the "better" camp user knife. But he also makes a good point in ordering 1 for yourself that would be better, probably a Model #5-6" or something along those lines. A great knife built for many chores.

Welcome to our forum, we are very happy to have you aboard!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#171866 - 06/14/18 07:27 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: RamKingJC]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
I have extensive usage experience with many models. The Buxton being one of them. I thought it would be a better user than it actually was. It's been many years but if I remember right the blade was a bit light compared to the handle weight due to the large clip cut out and the extra Tang part so it did not chop very well nor did it baton wood very well due to the odd clip. The grind on the knife isn't particularly great for carving or prep either as it's a bit wide kind of like a 14 or 15. The reason I was attracted to the Buxton is that the border patrol handle is the best shape handle you can get.

I did carry around a 18 for a short while but they are extremely heavy and worse yet they are super wide in the handle so they stick out like crazy and that metal is cold as ice when it touches you

The very best Randall for actual all around woods use is a 5-6 with border patrol micarta and a wrist thong. I actually have one on it's way to me that I'm probably selling it's also got stainless and a nickel single hilt and waxed no hone C.

I have had the handle and blade separate on a 28 something I was always afraid of with the full Tang models but it never happened on my Buxton 16SF or 14 or 15. The hidden tang models can withstand way more abuse than you can imagine and you will damage the blade to where it's unusable before the tang breaks. Unless your going to pry something sideways the full Tang won't be stronger and in that event you would need a cheater bar to break the hidden tang I believe.

#171868 - 06/14/18 07:43 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
gratefuljed Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you all very much. I think I heard they are both kind of collectable and that the model 5 6" is a better knife for say, all around usage. Well, I'll just throw them in the safe and that will be that! The Buxton should be displayed though..
Thanks RamkingJC & Leatherman for the detailed answers and translations, and to you TB for pointing the way!

#171870 - 06/14/18 08:06 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Part of the fun of Randall's is that they get you excited and they are cool so if using a 18 or Buxton is your thing go right ahead! I'm speaking purely from a functional standpoint. If it's all about functionality a Randall isn't really the best choice in general so use what you like!

#171873 - 06/14/18 08:12 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: gratefuljed]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
The Buxton fighter was designed for this reason...to be a FIGHTER...

I know a local helicopter pilot who cut himself out of a down helicopter TWICE during Vietnam with his Model 18...

I'm glad to hear you'll "probably" be selling your new model 5 because of your decisions in the past of (your words) the abuse you put YOUR knives through... "Your knives" being the key words here, do as you wish with them but quit bitching when they "fail" because of you setting out to see just how much ABUSE they can take before they "fail"...

Frankly speaking here, I for one am not jumping for joy with YOUR return to these forums...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#171874 - 06/14/18 08:13 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Leatherman]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I find that if you feel good with it in your hand, then you will feel good using it.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#171877 - 06/14/18 08:49 PM Re: Which knife to use, or not use [Re: Dirty_Water]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Scott you are a asshole

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
The Buxton fighter was designed for this reason...to be a FIGHTER...

I know a local helicopter pilot who cut himself out of a down helicopter TWICE during Vietnam with his Model 18...

I'm glad to hear you'll "probably" be selling your new model 5 because of your decisions in the past of (your words) the abuse you put YOUR knives through... "Your knives" being the key words here, do as you wish with them but quit bitching when they "fail" because of you setting out to see just how much ABUSE they can take before they "fail"...

Frankly speaking here, I for one am not jumping for joy with YOUR return to these forums...

Edited by Leatherman (06/14/18 08:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Punctuation

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod