Clinton Knives Miles Swelze
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171625 - 06/06/18 07:38 PM The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query...
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Hard to get more Timberline/Emerson/Hartsfield/SEALish modern art flat chisel ground of 15yrs ago now passé cool.

But, can anyone help with dates of production past circa 2005. I know they made 3 versions, the flat chisel, the Tac 2 conventional bevel, and a Scout version of the Tac 2 partially serrated rear bottom edge and sawtoothed spine. But that is ALL I know about this Museum Of Modern Passé Art display piece.

For any curious as to the knife, advertised, of course, as tactical, but truly every virtue listed had to do with it being a survival knife, even to the pyramid barb top front to retain a fish when knife lashed to pole with the four supplied holes. Never mention as a weapon, but only digging, shelter building, splitting, etc. The barb for sure hurts use for spearing anything larger than a fish, and one must assume they were serious. Personally, I think the tip fragile, but with oversized scales preventing hand contact with freezing metal, the stainless construction, etc, it certainly would work, and I think it pretty cool. Rumors of GSG9 association abound, but if ever true...

They must have had it resheathed and used only for survival emergency. It has THE worst sheath ever made, plastic with cordura sewn to it, both belt loop and toe loop made of bent plastic of entirely inappropriate material and which cracks and falls to pieces.

Edited by Lofty (06/06/18 08:15 PM)

#171637 - 06/07/18 03:24 PM Re: The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

May as well append what little else I know as for variations. There was what was apparently the earlier, simpler, and perhaps euro market markings, and then a later perhaps UK/USA market marking.

One seller several years ago stated the earlier marked ones were limited to 500 pieces. All I can note is that the earlier marked are surely serial numbered on enclosed certificate, and personally have seen no numbers higher than 200s.

Edited by Lofty (06/07/18 03:42 PM)

#171669 - 06/08/18 10:56 PM Re: The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Just to add a visual to above variation descriptions.

So, two styles of marks shown above on the Tac 1, and then two other variations on the blade below.

The normal/conventional/beveled both sides Tac 2 (which must have been planned given original name), and the Scout variation. These all lifted from a pumamadness australian collector site, and he also is clueless as dating and thinking more like year 2000.

For a knife assumedly produced in the last 10-15yrs, and by a "name" factory, information available has been of nuetron star or black hole variety.

Edited by Lofty (06/08/18 11:26 PM)

#171672 - 06/09/18 07:11 AM Re: The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query... [Re: Lofty]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Lofty, Puma has made some neat knives over the years. This one is really cool looking. I have no dates to share with you on this blade.

However, A good chisel tool is always welcome. Here is a chisel tool made in the USA by Brad Backman in 2012 using A2 tool steel, heat treated by Paul Boss. Brad made these initially for military guys that didn't want to use their good knife to dig in the dirt or pry with.

Attachments
------DSC00676.JPG

------DSC00679.JPG

------DSC00677.JPG

#171682 - 06/09/18 12:15 PM Re: The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query... [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I wonder what they were carried in? Looks as if it could stash most anywhere. The guys who initially came to him probably had a very specific and repetitive job in mind, and any idea what that was? It sure ain't for a mine probe, wrong material, wrong shape. The chisel blade grinds kinda faded, for whatever reason, despite SEAL initial like of Hartsfield's knives, and getting Emerson to make folder versions, and setting him on the path to fame and fortune.

There is a lot to be said for the flat side having less drag and great for relatively short cuts such as thick rope. There is also a lot to be said, conversely, that an angle is an angle, no matter how rest of blade oriented, and a full flat grind, or any other grind, does the same thing, angle of primary grind staying constant, with secondary edge thickness then determining ease of cutting, period. Currently, the Six team red and blue squadrons ended having the Winkler Belt knife made an issue item for dry climes, it also up to the abusive uses while still able to cut. And of absolutely conventional design, but built like the front end of a Cold Steel Trailmaster.

Back to the Tac 1, very comfy oversized ABS scales, very pointy, an impressive letter opener for home or office, and the type knife which just begs the handler to go hack or shaka zulu something to death, it speaks to the inner beserker in all of us.

Edited by Lofty (06/09/18 05:53 PM)

#178807 - 03/08/19 05:28 PM Re: The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query... [Re: Lofty]
ROBERT MCINTOSH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northern Territory Australia &...
Puma stopped with date codes in 1994 and unless you have a catalogue and you find that knife they are hard to date
Also Puma factory had a fire years ago and lost all the records

#178896 - 03/11/19 03:43 PM Re: The Puma Tac 1 Modern Art Knife, and query... [Re: ROBERT MCINTOSH]
Shoot870p Online
Knife Enthusiast

Anyone know of a source for a tool like the Brad back an chisel tool?
Walker

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman