Randall Made Knife Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171124 - 05/13/18 10:04 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

As for DS and his mentioned Winkler want.
I keep looking at it, as it is about as simple as they get, seems to break no new ground in handle/lock/pivot strength, but, his tough yet suprisingly good slicer blade with a very tough 80CRv2 steel. For sure a knife (as mentioned in above Fowler musings) where handle would give out long before the blade.

Truthfully, no idea at all of pivot diameter, liner/lock thickness, what size bolts/screws support open handle inside those spacers, size of blade stop, nor any real construction details.

He surely has ratcheted up the aesthetics/ergonomics from his original F1 to current F3 model. Equally surely, it would be tough, although not huge with 3.25" blade of 0.156" starting stock already tapering ahead of bolster to 0.140". Only circa 1/2 oz heavier than the carbon fiber Reeve, 3.6 oz vs 4 oz. Beefy handle/lock vs beefy tough blade. Depends on use and user. I like BOTH. So, out of luck.

Am hoping a Winkler F3 owner will chime in here for more details for those with inquiring minds and need to know.

For those curious as to the 'Caswell' finish, Caswell is a metal finishes company, supplying the industry. A more common finish supplied is a tool blacking compound, such as on impact tools, which I suspect this is. A black oxide coat, and then sealer. Winkler knives out there now also with KG, likely industrial epoxy, not sure if added powdered ceramic/teflon/whatever. The Caswell actually a good coating for military abuse knives where any finish short lived anyhow, already a bare edge which grows...mutes shine.

Edited by Lofty (05/14/18 07:47 PM)

#171143 - 05/14/18 07:37 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Just an updated fairer comparison between models for size reference....titled "Still Life With Juvenile And Hoity Toity".

Edited by Lofty (05/14/18 07:45 PM)

#171198 - 05/16/18 08:56 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Lofty]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
Appears to be a bit thicker than the Seb.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#171206 - 05/16/18 11:44 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Byrdguy]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Oh, yeah...the dinky 3" XM is about the same thickness as the larger Reeve Inkosi. Hinderer knives are stout. In this comparison shot, you are looking at 0.125" compared to 0.165". The Reeve a better cutter, the Hinderer more bulletproof and will take what might bust a Reeve, question being, "do you need that?".

You would far rather use the Reeve for daily paper cutting, the Hinderer ok for such but its forte coarse heavy cutting with massive material removal, digging in and rooting around, moderate prying, heavy ziptie cuff busting, etc. Stouter handle on the Hinderer, but any open back flexes a lot under stress, just as a convertible automobile, you will find locks seated deeper on any with much prying/twisting.

The only real comparison between the two is that the Hinderer made top to bottom to be an overbuilt tank, the Reeve meant to be the strongest possible minimalist pure folding knife. Totally different visions.

Edited by Lofty (05/16/18 11:52 AM)

#171242 - 05/17/18 02:24 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Lofty]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
Thanks Lofty.
Nice write up with good info.

#171245 - 05/17/18 04:37 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: needfull things]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My thanks for your thanks. My impression of manufacturer/maker forums in general is that 10-15yrs ago there existed intelligent, critically thinking folk, with a broad knowledge base, who accrued a tremendous amount of wisdom, regarding both pros and cons of certain items.

In the time since then, those sites taken over by 13yr old fanboys on their very first knife or gun, whose major pastime is character assassination on facebook or whatever, and who have never read one jot of anything written before them posting.

Making factual and honest comparisons between various newer made things virtually impossible, and finding such information prior to buying to be actually impossible.

Having had to buy most things blind, waste a good amount of money on highly promoted junk, it is only my hope folk know what something actually is, before plonking down their money, and perhaps even know whether to want that particular item. I do not write about junk, but only good stuff, ...but even the best logging boots are not for a stock exchange broker or pizza delivery guy.

Edited by Lofty (05/17/18 04:42 PM)

#171254 - 05/18/18 08:27 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Lofty]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
What's that Fo five in the pic? Colt?
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#171257 - 05/18/18 10:45 AM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Byrdguy]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

yep, same as discussed in .45 thread here somewhere half recently. Base stainless Govt Model, brown water Navy issue grips.

#171323 - 05/21/18 01:38 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: Lofty]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty--

Having carried a certain folder as a "beater" for 1-1/2 decades, which has a blade of 154CM, I am looking around for one that has a CPM-S90V blade. That steel appears to come closest to optimizing the four qualities that we look for in a blade.

My problem with 154CM is it just doesn't hold an edge very well. I don't normally and don't expect to use a knife in a twisting, pounding, bending mode, so looking at the chart that (for example) Benchmade includes on page 100 of its online catalog, "if" theirs or somebody else's knife with the CPM-S90V actually delivers the combination of features that they summarize there, then I would go with that purchase.

Edge retention, in my opinion, should be the first priority with a knife that is intended to actually cut. Somewhere, maybe on a previous post, I wrote about the Small Sebenza that I got rid of "way back when" because it would not hold an edge. I am glad Reeve eventually updated their steel--but I have not kept up with just how well their Sebenza series actually hold an edge these days.

I am waiting for a reply from Benchmade who I asked for a list of their knives that use CPM-S90V. Maybe that will include a model for me.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#171325 - 05/21/18 01:47 PM Re: The Big Tough Folder... [Re: LarryWW1246]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I used a Benchmade with the Spyderco design and ATS 34 steel. It really held an edge. I retired it after 12 years for a Chris Reeve.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton