Clinton Knives James Behring Knives
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169576 - 03/14/18 06:04 PM Re: Hunting 2018 [Re: LarryWW1246]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry, do not quote me on this, but, I seem to recall old video of tests showing the F16 able to take a 20mm cannon shell to the canopy. Given most any commercial or military today is several inches thick, no using the handy knife today. Or, even a handy goose.

Do you recall the likely apocryphal story of the Brits copying our air cannon to test engines and windscreens using dead chickens? The Brits came back to US designers for help, baffled by the chickens going thru the windscreen, pilot seat, rear cockpit wall, and finally stopping in the engineer's rear panel, and wondering what they were doing wrong. The US team said to describe the process step by step, so they could help figure it out, starting with loading the thawed chicken in the cannon, and the Brits replied, "Thawed, you don't say?"

Edited by Lofty (03/14/18 06:05 PM)

#169577 - 03/14/18 06:06 PM Re: Hunting 2018 [Re: Lofty]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
You sucked me in on that one!
Thanks for the laugh smile
Molon Labe

#169579 - 03/14/18 06:49 PM Re: Hunting 2018 [Re: BladesNBarrels]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
In the 60's many years before I went to work for Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corp in Bethpage, NY they used to cannon fire live chickens at Navy A6 canopies. That is till one day someone screwing around I'm told fired a chicken into a nearby adjacent property and it landed in a backyard. That was the end of the live bird testing. From then on it was thawed birds only. I don't know when Grumman stopped bird testing but when I started working there in 1979 it was no longer performed.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman