Randall Made Knife Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145166 - 07/19/16 08:15 AM Re: Got Ivory!! ** [Re: RKS3500]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Pete did the blade etching. Pete also did the early blade etchings for Tom's Vietnam Veteran Model #14. Pete had SF logos and various other logos he would acid etch. The cursive signature was one of Pete's favorite "projects".
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: It should be noted that Pete also did some of these etchings "while" still active and "at" the shop. I have a couple that are 100% legit! CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#169401 - 03/08/18 07:24 AM Re: Got Ivory!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
thevalueman Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
O.K...this really wasn't the thread I was looking for, but, I'll start here....
So, not only is the current administration going to allow the import(case by case) of ivory, it appears that they are going to relax many restrictions on other hunting trophies as well. Will this encourage folks in the knife business to reconsider some of their policies concerning ivory??

:-)Rocky

Attachments
------Scan0003.jpg

RKCC#25

#169404 - 03/08/18 10:43 AM Re: Got Ivory!! [Re: thevalueman]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
The policy change set forth in the 3/1/2018 US DOI FWS Memorandum appears to only affect the criteria used by the FWS in evaluating applications for permits to import certain trophy materials (particularly for African elephants sport-hunted in South Africa, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe). The existing across-the-board prohibition on the issuance of permits to import such trophies is apparently being lifted, and import permit applications will instead be reviewed (and approved or denied) on a case-by-case basis.

The FWS Memorandum does NOT appear to change any policies other than those regarding criteria for trophy import permits. The Memorandum does NOT mention, or appear to affect, the FWS 7/6/2016 near-total ban on US interstate commerce in African elephant ivory, subject to the stated exceptions, i.e., antique, de minimis, CITES pre-convention certified, etc. The Memorandum also does not mention or affect any African elephant ivory ownership or commerce ban or restrictions imposed by individual states.

Here is a link/location to the US DOI Fish & Wildlife Service 3/1/2018 Memorandum.

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/me...ed-trophies.pdf

Bob
RKCC #622

#169416 - 03/08/18 09:27 PM Re: Got Ivory!! [Re: rfcarlin]
thevalueman Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
O.K....I'm sorry, so what does all that mean??
Ivory, or no ivory

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#169418 - 03/08/18 09:44 PM Re: Got Ivory!! [Re: thevalueman]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Rocky,

I think that it means you can apply for a permit to import ivory from those African nations if it is part of a trophy which you sport-hunted. No guarantee that the permit will be issued, but you are able to apply for it and the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis (no such permits issued under former rules).

There has been no change to the ban on interstate ivory commerce or sales in the US in place since July, 2016.

It is still OK to own ivory, but not OK to sell it in interstate commerce unless it qualifies under one of the exceptions (e.g., de minimis usage, made before 7/2016, and is antique or was imported to US pre-CITES convention; and you have the records or documents to prove it). I don't think you'll see RMK, or any other knife makers, changing their no-African elephant ivory policy based on this memorandum.

Bob

Edited by rfcarlin (03/08/18 09:45 PM)
RKCC #622

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15

Moderator:  Mr_Mod