dominionhobby.com Randall Made Knife
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168834 - 02/16/18 11:26 PM Remington Arms Bankruptcy
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
I hope this is not the start of the domino fall. Only 2 years ago Remington was #1 in our region in metalworking manufacturing.
Others like Colt, Ruger, S&W continue to lay off hundreds; all of which are close to my company and an important target industry.
Only one surviving right now is Sig due to the military contract.
All industries go through ebbs and flows but this one might sting a while.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201...aker/332888002/

#168838 - 02/17/18 12:22 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Their 700 trigger issue didn't help, but word is, their high up management is p- poor.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#168840 - 02/17/18 12:38 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

In the middle of the 700 trigger issue, Remington was surfing a sales curl that hadn't been seen in recent history.
Not only Rem now but every competitor in the industry is down everywhere. Starting to have devastating employment effects.

#168841 - 02/17/18 01:00 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: W Polidori]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well, I am buying brands that are admired and trusted, and who continue to improve, rather than cheapen, products.

Which leaves me helping to keep open who?

Suprisingly, Colt, still has done little cheapening and has even reversed course on some moves.

Whereas, most of the others continue to VASTLY cheapen how products made (look at even Ruger .22s, their original gun has ceased to exist).

And am not even going to list the others who also sell only exterior vaguely original product shaped objects, done to increase profit margins even when in an already unparalleled boom market, quick profit taking at expense of buyer.

Buyers now have scads of their cheap toys with casting sprue innards and plywood stocks and plastic shells.

No true lasting quality calls, and how many disposable guns are folk gonna buy, having no belief their new gun will even be working for rest of their lifetime, much less, that of children or grandchildren?

As for Remington...moving in on struggling Marlin, telling them no problem, jobs and factory safe, within the year taking away one assembler buiding each gun, taking away benches and stools and instituting Six Sigma driven cell concepts, half a dozen workers at a table, standing entire shift, passing partially assembled guns to next guy, no bathroom break unless worker arranged his own relief at the table, a rifle every 30 secs or supervisors forced to send home with no pay, or fire, those judged too slow by metrics, ....and then the unannounced closure, packing, and workers with decades offered fast food wages if they relocated to Illion, while Remington was busy improving the machined forgings Marlin by converting to cast and MIM, and sold rifles for YEARS that did not even work.

And them in trouble a suprise, after already butchering their own iconic 870 to the point Mossberg looked like real quality to buyers and they dumped Remington in droves to make Mossberg the number 1 selling shotgun?

Edited by Lofty (02/17/18 01:22 AM)

#168843 - 02/17/18 01:30 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: Lofty]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'm not going to debate specifics, just stating fact as original post. My intention was to bring information as fact to an industry that I not only care about but affects my company's bottom line. Not only our's but many.

#168848 - 02/17/18 02:06 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: W Polidori]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I totally agree it is a tragedy, especially for workers who do only as directed, but nothing I can do here, as it is totally self induced by the folk who run it. I love Remington 870s and Marlin lever action rifles, and when I want one, I go buy one. An older one where it actually is that gun and not a malfunctioning cheaply made copy of the sort we formerly associated with fraudulent imports. They cut their own throats, and a lot of others, too, but neither did I ever see organized resistance to what was happening. When you let it happen, this is what happens, and everybody has done exactly that industry wide, and everybody associated with same, to include workers and buyer and suppliers.

Edited by Lofty (02/17/18 02:07 AM)

#168849 - 02/17/18 02:15 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: Lofty]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Bottom line. Remington is not going away. This is a legal step to keep the company fluid.

#168850 - 02/17/18 02:31 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: W Polidori]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

yep, and business as usual. Very common. But the misplaced focus on bottom lines and company names as only a flag around which money gathers or flees, rather than product and people, dooms it. Maybe not this time, but....and will anybody try to do anything? No. And one day it will not resurrect. And that WILL hurt. And talking specifics rather than ignoring status quo until pain happens seems a better course. Meanwhile, best to all concerned.

#168851 - 02/17/18 02:40 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: Lofty]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Entitled to opinion, we continue to say thank you for your orders .

#168857 - 02/17/18 09:22 AM Re: Remington Arms Bankruptcy [Re: W Polidori]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
I think that during the Obama years, gun (and accessory) sales were so high that gun enthusiasts now have all the guns, ammo and goodies that they think they will ever need. Now people aren't buying much and that hurts all the manufacturers and suppliers in the industry. Just my opinion.
That being said, I'm going to try and do my part by going to a gun show today here locally and see if there is anything that I can't live without.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman