Randall Made Knife dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168738 - 02/13/18 11:58 PM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: crutchtip]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Considering a relatively small group of people in the USA pay what seem insane prices as far as the average citizen is concerned, for scratched up and pitted old Randall knives, and them much rarer there, and rarity even for a fish in Japan a huge status symbol for the wealthy when they think they are getting exceptional quality and rarity, I have no trouble believing $20,000 in Japan.

Edited by Lofty (02/14/18 12:12 AM)

#168743 - 02/14/18 06:22 AM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: Lofty]
djefferis Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Japan (as are most Asian markets) for collectibles can be out of line with what others would expect to pay, as mentioned buyers tend to place a premium on high quality, scarce and exceptionally nice looking pieces to show off. Doesn’t hurt that the seller is likely to be the single person offering the item making them the market maker...and when you only have 1 to sell, you don’t need a whole herd of fools...just a select one.

At 9500, the pricing is well out of line in my opinion. As I said it’s scarce, so certainly helps resale, but scarcity is only one component in pricing. Lots of knives are scarce...you also have to have demand (always there with a Randall) and a few other factors.

There are plenty of eBay/craigslist sellers offering current production Randalls at a multiple of current catalog price...most who will point out the 5 year waitlist in their ad and call them “rare” - doesn’t mean their pricing is accurate...just means they went to the same school as the seller asking 9500.

Definitely a nice piece, and with provenance it would certainly command more than a Randall of similar vintage.

#168746 - 02/14/18 07:35 AM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: Sharpi]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
most Irishmen tend to be located in Ireland....I'm just say'n..
also, since folks from Japan can buy stuff on the bay, why then, do they not??
I'm guessing that a person from Japan is just as knowledgeable, as are buyers from other areas....I wouldn't think that anyone would pay more or an item simply because they live in a different area of the world....not today, anyway.
:-)Rocky

Edited by thevalueman (02/14/18 07:41 AM)
RKCC#25

#168748 - 02/14/18 08:36 AM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: djefferis]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

In Japan Loveless knives bring money. Japan is what drove the Loveless market.

Randall knives on the other hand are not anywhere near as popular. Not the style most there are interested in.

"Rarity" doesn't always equate to value.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#168764 - 02/14/18 09:34 PM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: crutchtip]
Shelley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Zealand
I may be missing something, but is that not just a model #5 with a double hilt?

#168766 - 02/15/18 12:52 AM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: Shelley]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Yes...You're missing something. Back in the day (Mid 1980's-Late 1980's) Randall made a few "Revenuer's Knives", which was the only name I heard for them around the Randall shop. Most, if not all, were of the same configuration as follows:
* Randall Model #15-5 1/2"
* The Airman Model
* CDT Variant
* Stainless steel blade
* Brass double hilt (#1 style)
* Standard spacers
* Black micarta handle
* Brass butt cap
* Johnson's "A" styled sheath
Some of these "Revenuer's" were etched specifically for ATF agents. These knives were ordered by ATF agents (or agencies) as individual (or group) orders. A few even made their way into certain "Non-Revenuer's" "STASH"!! The later mentioned were not etched and came in either JRB or smoothback sheaths.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: I'd value them closer to $950.00 rather than $9500.00 (Same thing: Just different decimal placement...CCS!!

Attachments
------Revenuer's #15-C.JPG

------Revenuer's #15-D.JPG

------Revenuer's #15-B.JPG

------Revenuer's #15-A.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#168768 - 02/15/18 05:52 AM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Oh what a difference a decimal point can make!

Thanks Cap, always learning something new on this Forum, all the time.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#168797 - 02/15/18 09:35 PM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: GCTom41]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Metric system. whistle
RKS #4868

#168812 - 02/16/18 03:58 PM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ken Livesay Offline
Just dropped in

Thanks for the response....I didn't notice...does the one you have posted have grey spacers? Is the blade engraved with the ATF markings?

#168815 - 02/16/18 04:30 PM Re: Help with ATF special order randall [Re: Ken Livesay]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Ken,

Many of those older knives have spacers that appear gray but they were once blue. It was common for that material to fade to that gray tone.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod