Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168722 - 02/13/18 08:35 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Originally Posted By: pappy19
I have carried my NA Arms .22 mag in my shirt pocket many times, especially in the summer in my back pocket or shirt pocket. I still think that a .22 mag hollow point within 20 feet is just as deadly, or more, than a 38. At least I have something and it is made in the USA and well built.

Pap

A 22 Mag can be devastating if delivered properly. NAA built great firearms Pap. Ours is a powered metal gun out of PM Pennsylvania where many things including gears, and drivetrain automotive components are Powered Metal.

#168758 - 02/14/18 03:32 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
I have several of those NAA good gadgets. About 12 years ago,I gave a demonstration to the officers in my squad on how effective the 22 mag round was in a NAA PUG with a 1" bbl.
I filled a plastic gallon milk jug with warm water and we went out to the salt/sand shed and I put the jug in the base of a sand bank and putting the muzzle of the OUG about a foot away touched off one of the CCI hollow point magnum rounds.
Instant shower!!! Blew the jug to smithereens!

According to Bill Jordan in his book No Second Place Winner he gives the 22 mag round high praise.

Wayne

#168762 - 02/14/18 05:18 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The NAA has only one downside, and really only a wardrobe specific thing. And perhaps even only then when the bejabbers shot out of it, and mainspring light and preparing to break, which they eventually do.

I found out in my tight studly jeans days, that in front pocket, the hammer could get eased off the safety notch and found resting on a live round. Not a problem in the pocket, but a big problem if dropped when removing from same.

But, again, all those conditions had to be met for it to happen. As mentioned previous page, good ammo should be giving circa 1200fps out of the MiniMag.

Edited by Lofty (02/14/18 05:55 PM)

#168770 - 02/15/18 08:39 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have found a similar problem with the NAA Mini in a kydex neck holster. During the draw,it would cause the cylinder to rotate and come under the hammer.

Not a good situation. For me,a IWB or pocket holster takes care of the problem.

Wayne

#168779 - 02/15/18 11:54 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne, your problem is downright curious to me, without seeing the holster.

The hamner nose is supposed to rest in notches on cylinder, preventing rotation, until hammer eased back...which is what happened in front pocket with tight fitting jeans not only the gun often in a bind.

And kydex on the draw would pull hammer more firmly against cylinder (again, no idea of holster coverage). If the holster involves the hammer, it might be that insertion is what is easing back hammer and freeing cylinder. Keeping thumb pressure on back of hammer while inserting would likely prevent that latter thing.

I just make sure the gun is in nothing which can push back on hammer, which seems can also happen inside a pocket holster in a tight spot, so gun not put in tight spots, as I learned with the jeans.Then, it seems to stay as inert as a small rock and no need of extra safeties to push or whatever.

Edited by Lofty (02/15/18 11:56 AM)

#168804 - 02/16/18 08:30 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes,the hammer nose did rest in the notch between the chambers,but for some reason,during a rapid draw ( I did this with an EMPTY piece) the cylinder would rotate enough to put the nose in the chamber. And,I was careful to be sure that the hammer was not touched during the draw.

In the IWB or pocket holster,over the years,no worries,ever.

Wayne

#168807 - 02/16/18 12:23 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Bizarre that it should happen on the draw and not the insertion. Well, guns and knives always remain mysteries, and keeps them interesting.

#168862 - 02/17/18 11:14 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I woukd insert the piece in the neck holster,I would check to see if the cylinder did rotate,but it did not. Only on the draw did it "slip a notch".

Obviously I never used that holster and used the IWB or pocket holsters w/o any problems.

Yes,I may be crazy,but not stupid.

Wayne

#168864 - 02/17/18 11:45 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

yep, i figured you woulda checked, and am still trying to wrap mind around what could be happening to do that....could just be a draw twisting moment overcoming hammer tension? I dunno, but am with you on dropping that wonderful gizmo.

#168900 - 02/18/18 08:53 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I always make sure that the mini is in a proper holster and not just jumbling around in the pocket with loose change/stuff.

If you want,PM me with your snail mail address and I will send it to you to check it out and,if you want,keep it or discard it.

Remember......................empty gun!!!

Wayne

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman