Clinton Knives dominionhobby.com
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168480 - 02/08/18 12:34 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
The LCP is a .380 and I wanted another 9mm and the Taurus has a 3"+ barrel, so pretty accurate. Take down just like a Glock. I had a Kel-Tec.380 and shooting it was brutal, so I traded for a heavier North American stainless, but gave it to my grandson. My EDC is still a Glock 43 9mm.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#168481 - 02/08/18 01:20 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I luuuuv my little G43, has even displaced my old stainless Bodyguard (except for tighter pockets). Far more actual fun to shoot (feels like a full sized 1911 when shooting), and more horsepower than a snubbie can manage, said snubbies never exactly fun to shoot, much less, with serious loads. (probably repeated this elsewhere here, but after a lifetime search for a truly comfortable coat/jacket pocketable and reliable and powerful and comfortable shootable pistol, just cannot help it, the gun was way overdue)

Only mod I ever do is swap out to an OEM front tritium and call it done, and then always order a bunch of never used spares, as I do with every gun, after experiencing too many parts orphans in well loved guns.

Edited by Lofty (02/09/18 10:03 AM)

#168496 - 02/09/18 10:47 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Lofty,
Nothing at all wrong with the G-43. A tad bigger than my Ruger LCP but it is a Glock and pretty much says it all.

A far a spare parts go,I don't think that any are really needed.

I have a Model 36 that after untold rounds,the slide stop lever spring broke. Less than a week at Glock and it was back in my hands pretty much new.....no charge.

What ever your choice may be,it is the best choice for you.

Wayne

#168498 - 02/09/18 04:39 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep, and I had a 36, and it too was a sweetheart. Mainly jumped on the single stack 9 when it came out (only 25yrs late) because of hands matching the 9mm far better as for reach.

I must angle most Glocks to reach trigger, no problem in a full size, but thumb taking most of recoil in the 36, and not a very steady grip hurting consistancy was a bummer to me.

They worked out the kinks in the small bore single stack using the .380 rather than risk their 9mm rep, so that when the 9 hit the ground, it was a winner out of the gate.

Happily, for me, the first Glock which truly fits my hand well. If the 36 were the same config, would be happily shooting .45ACP.

And there is also the size issue, as the 43 is stuffed crossdraw canted outboard on left side under tucked in shirts, or carried in various jacket/coat pockets, my hideout, and only rarely stuffed behind right hip, as if carrying there, a larger gun the order of the day, like my Colt 1911 or SAA.

Those with meatier, or basketball player, paws, would likely find the G43 crowded or cramped. No gun is an island.

#168514 - 02/10/18 09:32 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
Yes,you are so right there. It is the fit that matters most whether it be in your hand or how it carries on your person.

In all honesty,I feel that the Glock 42 or 43 are pretty much the size of a J frame,give or take a bit.

Holster choice does make a BIG difference as well as having the proper belt (which is also very important).

I have a Milt Sparks summer special holster that I have for my 1911 Commander and must say that it pretty much makes the piece disappear. Of course,I am quite big (6'3"/240) so that does make a difference.

Being that I am an old fart,I still cling to my revolvers and prefer my Charter BullDog 44 that I have configured to their new Boomer model. It basically disappears in a IWB crossdraw.

Wayne

#168518 - 02/10/18 11:29 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne, I gots me a stainless Boomer, too, which only lacks a cut back trigger guard to be the Fitz Special of old. The ports really cut back on flip pounding top of hand, and you might really appreciate ordering up a set of the rubber grips with which equipped, better than many/most for control and still concealment and comfort on a Bulldog.

The 43 IS approx J-frame size, and of identical weight to my old stainless Bodyguard, when both are loaded, and may as well add the Boomer to that size and weight when loaded. Three twin sons of different mothers.

For me, not using a holster, and just stuffed in waistband or jacket/coat pocket, the 43 has several carry pluses, mainly related to comfort and less wear and tear on pocket liners. All edges and corners are rounded off, no independent skinny barrel poking/prodding, ditto cylinder edges digging in, weight is distributed over a wider surface area in pocket, and less tendency to make a break for freedom out the bottom, eventually. But, the Bodyguard will fit places the G43 just will not, or pocket pulled too tight, and CAN be emptied from inside a jacket pocket as I know from experience, so, not out to pasture yet, and never will be.

I still have an old SS made by Milt, great holster to this day. Another old classic for a revolver and still (barely) made today are the Barami Hip Grips, the old police supply store still hanging on to existence, and those fit the Bulldog, as well.

And before anyone has a whole little litter of baby cows as for carrying a Glock out of a holster, and even (lands sakes!) in a pocket, the pocket is empty save the gun, so nothing to hook through trigger. While, when carried strongside or belly IWB, trigger completely covered by waistline and belt. And although holster makers have had almost the entire trade saved from extinction by ADs and NDs of Glocks/copies, and rise of kydex, most every such kaboom has been due to finger not outside of trigger when holstering, or those very self same stiff snaps and straps depressing (generally aftermarket lightened/improved) trigger on holstering. I know of one instance where even a leather holster had edge fold in aganst trigger and fire gun against pressure, and I feel very much safer with nothing rigid anywhere near my rosco, thank you kindly for your concern.

Edited by Lofty (02/10/18 09:08 PM)

#168570 - 02/11/18 09:15 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
I go to the Charter plant several times a year to visit and give treats to their three BIG Golden Retrievers.

One of the dogs is named Boomer which their most recent BullDog model is named after.

The Bulldog that I "Boomerized" is an early model,blue, that I bobbed the hammer on,had MagnaPorted,and put the Tyler T-Grips on. Like you,I did not "Fitz Special" the trigger guard.

That grip configuration fits my hand well and I have no problem with recoil.
My pratice loads consist of 240 grain cast bullets over a charge of Trail Boss. "Duty" rounds are usually Hornady Critical Defense loads.

The other BullDog that I have is the Heller Comemorative stainless.

I have several other Charters to round out the stable. The first one I had,was one of the first ones on production in Jan '65 that was sent to me by Doug McClellahan when I was in 'Nam.

Yep,Charter and I go back a long way.

Wayne

PS- did you know that Doug McClellehan designed the 10/22 rifle when he worked at Ruger???

#168580 - 02/11/18 11:59 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You DO go back a ways, and am suitably impressed. I knew about Boomer, and time at Ruger, but if I ever knew of involvement with the 10/22, it surely is forgotten now, and thanks for pressing REFRESH, which seems needed more and more today.

PS- I go one better, ha! T-grip AND Barami (but, that is on the Bodyguard).

Edited by Lofty (02/11/18 12:02 PM)

#168588 - 02/11/18 02:06 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I recently purchased a G43. It came with two magazines, one with the grip extension and one without.

I bought a Pearce grip extension online to swap into the mag with the flat baseplate.

It is just a hair larger than the factory grip extension baseplate, making for a perfect fit for my hands. I sourced a second one so that both magazines were set up nicely.

#168589 - 02/11/18 02:25 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Windsor]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I first went out back with the 43, set up a target at 25yds, and put 5 of 7 dead center inside 2" with one out 3" at 10, and the other same distance at 8 o'clock, standing/unsupported, was too impressed with the gun to pay attention to magazines.

Continued burning ammo through both magazines, went back inside, and only then, remembered one had an extension, and never noticed the difference when shooting.

Since this is a hideout for belly or pocket, was mighty pleased no extra bulk required, and the flush mags are the carry mags, extras were ordered, 6+1 gives same as a 1911 carried milspec, so sacrifice of easy hiding is just not worth it to me, and may as well carry a larger gun, such as the 17, which works better for concealed than even a 1911 as for belly, M65 or N3B pockets, etc. Again, much depends on build, hand size, clothing worn, job description, etc on what works, and many folk require a longer handle on a 43 simply to get a locked in hold, but I am not of that number.

Edited by Lofty (02/11/18 02:31 PM)

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman