Clinton Knives Stanback Knives
Page 25 of 50 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 49 50 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141585 - 05/08/16 08:03 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! * [Re: Billy Poyner]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Carbon blade, #6 grind

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#141586 - 05/08/16 08:06 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: RamKingJC]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
If someone wants it ("&" we vote for carbon) I will pickle it, if requested.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#141588 - 05/08/16 08:41 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
If someone wants it ("&" we vote for carbon) I will pickle it, if requested.
Best, Capt. Chris

Capt. Chris, Do you use eco pickled surface (EPS) processing or acid pickling?

Saves an option and EPS works great with carbon steel and I do not think you need to oil the blade like with acid pickling. Either way works for me.

#141590 - 05/08/16 09:48 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Eric]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Thing is, if this build is destined to be a safe queen or will it be used as a fishing knife. Either way, SS or carbon won't matter. Having used both, I like the carbon for its ability to re-sharpen and will save another option. Just sayin.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#141595 - 05/08/16 11:36 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: pappy19]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I prefer carbon. Pickled is cool.

#141602 - 05/08/16 05:59 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Some people pickle their blades with vinegar (cider vinegar or white vinegar) instead of pickle juice. They say they get a better, faster, and more even coat if they COMPLETELY clean the blade (with lighter fluid or acetone), then expose the metal to vinegar that's hot, near boiling. Here's a picture of one of them.

Attachments
------pickled-blade.jpg

RKS #258

#141603 - 05/08/16 06:01 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Holzinger258]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Carbon
#6 Gtrind
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#141616 - 05/09/16 03:30 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Duke]
Litch Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Rhein/Main
Carbon steel, #6 grind

Thanks!

RKCC CMI-006
RKS #5720

#141622 - 05/09/16 09:21 AM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: Litch]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Stainless steel with #6 grind.
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#141632 - 05/09/16 12:00 PM Re: Springtime Fishing (& a new Randall build)! [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
OK, Crew,
We are going with:
* RMK Model #7-5"
* #6 blade grind (1 option)
Let's decide on the blade steel. Although several have shown their preference, we have yet to vote on which one we are building. Advantages? Well: Stainless seems an obvious choice, when talking about wet usage, possibly saltwater usage, etc. "BUT" (I know, I know) carbon steel works quite well for cleaning fish, well-kept or not.
Stainless, if you always want the knife to "look good" gets the nod also. I have also detected a slight "rust-like" taste when slicing up already prepared food to eat..."IF"...the knife has not been properly cleaned first.
Carbon is slightly lower on the Rockwell scale making it a tad easier to sharpen. This is not nearly as critical "if" you don't let the knife get too dull. Touching a Randall knife up (or any knife, for that matter) is always much easier than using one to dullness and then having to re-shape and get a keen edge back again. That is just plain common sense.
Pappy stated that he hasn't noticed any difference using carbon over stainless. That is probably because Pappy "keeps" his blades sharp! So do I! Have I let one get too dull, from time-to-time? Abso-frigging-lutley! It happens. Being nearly done with a cleaning or skinning or gutting tasks...and having no ready access to sharpening equipment results in your knife getting too dull to be of much good. I keep a large Norton Tri-hone (just like the Randall shop uses) at my hunting camp, along with a Spyderco Tri-sharpener. I also sharpen a load of knives...each and every year. Some are mine but most are my fellow hunting buddies. I have had to re-edge just about every type of blade shape, grind and bevel you can imagine...with just about every rating on a Rockwell "C" scale known to man! The point is: I'm good at it and don't have a huge problem doing it. It is more time-consuming...the worse off the blade is to start with but doable.
If we are building this knife, just to be a safe queen that's one thing. If we are actually going to "USE" it...quite another! Both steels are excellent. You, the crew, decide. Let's talk about it, think it out (and over) and come up with the game plan.
If we are too divided, I'll come up with something. Let me hear from you folks.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 25 of 50 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 49 50 >

Moderator:  TonyLaPetri