Miles Swelze James Behring Knives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165834 - 10/29/17 02:18 PM Re: Abigail's 1st Buck [Re: Eric]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The pic came from Mark Mims and Abigail's deer was mounted and on the wall in Mark's lobby. I believe they are shark teeth. I will ask him whenever I get a chance to pick up Abby's deer.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#165835 - 10/29/17 05:39 PM Re: Abigail's 1st Buck [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Boomer51 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
They are turkey spurs which grow out of the back side of each leg near the foot - they are as much part of the trophy as the beards are to most turkey hunters. The leg bone is cut on each side of the spur and then hollowed out so it can be strung. There are some more mounted directly above the beards in the photo also.

Nicely done on that 1st buck, something she will always remember for sure.

#165838 - 10/30/17 12:58 AM Re: Abigail's 1st Buck [Re: Boomer51]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
You're dadgumed right they're spurs Dwight, and some pretty nice ones too. In VA, a decade or two ago when you killed a spring Gobbler you also had to report the length of the beard/s and the Spurs and send in a small bunch of feathers pulled from the breast to the Game Commission. It was for their research to help determine the bird's age; feathers proved the gender (some hens have beards). The Spurs are sharp as needles and, in the spring mating season, the boys jump in the air and try to blind and do damage to their opponent. Pretty amazing to watch and hear.
I do love to spring Gobbler hunt and call the old boys in.

Edited by Duke (10/30/17 01:00 AM)
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#165839 - 10/30/17 02:29 AM Re: Abigail's 1st Buck [Re: Duke]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
Thanks for the clarification. They look like fossilised Great White Shark teeth, however , they have too much dentine around them. Shark teeth have supporting Dentine that extends upwards as a continuation of the tooth shape. (not enough to make a rectangle).
I was lucky enough to be offered a Lion Molar,(inverted "V") many years ago to mount in Sterling Silver. Very impressive chunk of enamel and dentine. Huge supporting structure. Easy when seen to understand how they can crush BIG bones.

#165952 - 11/02/17 08:21 PM Re: Abigail's 1st Buck [Re: needfull things]
Boomer51 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
Here's another angle for you on the spurs - these are from my last season that I still have prep and string. I've had others ask if they were teeth after they've been mounted so its an honest mistake.

Duke - Tennessee used to do something similar a long, long time ago as part of the harvest record. We're covered up in birds here, you ought to come get some..

Capt, failed to comment on the shoulder mount - your taxidermist does good work.

Attachments
------Spurs.JPG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman