James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141186 - 05/02/16 10:46 PM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos ** [Re: RamKingJC]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Mine is Idaho sunlight on the dining room table with my Canon on close up. Not pretty but it works.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#145559 - 07/24/16 09:55 AM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: pappy19]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
OK Buck...and "others",
I know it's been a long time coming but I will start to document my photo setup! I have put this project off for a number of reasons but the main one being: I have never been happy with my photo setup! I have been trying a lot of different approaches to this problem, including a prototype of what you are going to see below..."BUT"...(I know: That word again)...it was too friggin' big!
I prefer to have a more permanent setup that will allow a 30-32" photo tent. I have a decent size shop that serves my needs. I still need to use consideration for the overall size of a project, particularly the photo booth. I have decided to reduce the overall size to an interior of 25 1/2" / square! I contracted a 1" steel square-tubed frame to be built (again) using the outside dimensions of: 65 1/2" (tall) X 28 1/2" (wide) X 27" (deep).
The top and bottom will have plywood installed. The top piece will have a circular cutout to accommodate in light fixture. The bottom to be used as the floor for the bottom (storage) section. The 4 rails, welded on the inside will serve as:
A) Storage for my many and various backgrounds
B) Offering different heights to shoot subjects from
C) Be able to move subjects, in & out, like "drawers"
I think this setup will serve me long & well! The steel frame is rock-solid, has 4 "crutch tip" (rubber) feet, and doesn't budge, once set in place! It is still (fairly) portable, weighing only about 30 pounds (empty).
I'll post more photos as I continue to put this rig together. If anyone cares to respond, I would ask you hold off until the finished product is shown. That way, all of the photos will be order with no "gaps" in between. I have no idea how long everything will take...but I'm working on it!
Also: This photo booth will only serve useful for about 90% of my photo needs. To remedy the need for a larger booth I have sacrificed and inexpensive folding card table and cut the 5" off the tubular legs. This will give me a 24" high X 34" (square) top to shoot larger items, from a higher position. I will probably set this rig up outside, using a large piece of muslin cloth and Mother Nature as my "lighting"!
More to come...Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Photo Booth-A.JPG

------Photo Booth-B.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#145565 - 07/24/16 01:28 PM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Bottom wood sections are cut and installed. The extreme bottom piece (We'll call it the "floor") is simple sanded 1/2" plywood. In order to fit it, I ripped it down the center, braced it underneath with a 2x3 and secured it well by drilling the steel tubing and screwing the whole mess down! It supports my weight, standing directly in the center of it. It is only going to be used for storage, etc...so we're "good-to-go"!
The next 2 sections up are simple wooden flooring underlament, about 1/4" stock. They will only be used to glue background material onto and no structural strength is really needed. You could use utility board (black or white) from Stales, etc. "BUT" (Had to get one in there) this stuff is $12.00 a 4" x 8" sheet. I get 3 sections out of it and the utility fiber boards run $5.00 each!
The next 2 sections are more 1/2" plywood as they will, not only hold background material but also Randall knives or whatever else I am photographing. I just feel more secure with a little more substance to these. Other background boards or material, layed on these loosely, will equally share this support.
....more to come, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Photo Booth-C.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#145584 - 07/24/16 06:06 PM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Let there be light! Well: at least "first" light. The roof is on the booth and a commercial reflector, along with a piece of photo/lighting cloth, has been installed in the roof. I use (either) Philips or Cree LED light bulbs with the following specs:
* "DAYLIGHT" specific lighting (usually "blue" printing)
* "L.E.D." lights
* "FLOOD" style.
* 5,000- 5,600K brightness
My camera is set to these settings in "WHITE BALANCE". I have used as many as 11 lights, at one time, especially when shooting after sunset. As you can (perhaps) see, I have some natural light that filters into my photo area and it definitely helps. I try to shoot as many photos during daylight hours as possible.
This setup, when finished should only require 3-5 lights. I have even painted the inside (underside) of the roof a semi-gloss bright white, as well as the metal framing in a satin white.
More to come...I am fading and want to watch the end of the race. (Jeff's driving @ Indy!)
Later, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Photo Booth-D.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (07/24/16 06:10 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#145585 - 07/24/16 06:24 PM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Online
Knife Enthusiast

VERY cool Capt.!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#145596 - 07/24/16 08:57 PM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

It's dark...but it's (sorta') finished! Only one background has been transferred over to the new plywood, but all of those transfers will probably take days! (ugh)...
So: The photo of the completed booth shows all 5 lights burning. The knife (Model #11-4 1/2" with dyed box elder) was photographed with the overhead light off. A lot of experimenting will be taking place over the next week or so, but you can see the setup. I have shot all of these "candids", off-hand with one of my other cameras: Canon EOS 60D.
The knife photo was shot with the camera, lens, tripod and set-up listed below:
Camera: Canon 5D MK. II (full format digital SLR)
Lens: Canon "L" series-(F-4) 24-70mm, set at 37mm for this shot
Tripod: Manfrotto Model 190XPROB
Grip: Manfrotto 322RC2, with swivel head
Setting: White balance: Daylight
F-stop: 5.6 (It is, after all nightfall!
ASA/ISO-400
LIGHTS: Overhead (not used in this shot) Cree 5000K
Side-lights: Philips 5200K
Both type of light bulbs, as listed before are:
* Flood type
* LED
* 65W-100W, depending upon Mfg.
Hope this was helpful to some of you. I plan on doing another "redneck tutorial" with "LESS"...a "LOT" less, with the sole intent in showing everyone how to take "1" photo of a knife, and successfully post it to the forum. For now....
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Photo Booth-E.JPG

------Photo Booth-F.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#145620 - 07/25/16 10:40 AM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Great construction Captain.
Do the plywood shelf units attach to the frame or slide in and out?
What provides the horizontal stability to prevent warping and twisting?
Thank you for the pictorial!
Molon Labe

#145622 - 07/25/16 11:20 AM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Knife Enthusiast

They slide. I have had no issues with them warping. Now the 1/4" floor laminate? Maybe. I'll have to see.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#145624 - 07/25/16 11:50 AM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Just for ref: Shot a few minutes ago, with the help of Mother Nature. ISO 800 with an F-stop of 14.
Best, Capt. Chris
RMK Model #4-5" with Musk Ox handle!

Attachments
------#4-5-MUSK OX-A.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#145625 - 07/25/16 11:51 AM Re: How to Improve Your Knife Photos [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

....and it's "still" too bright! (But you get the idea)
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod