James Behring Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160467 - 05/18/17 03:35 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I am not sure how comfortable I would be, admitting in a public forum, that I did not wear clear pants....after all, doesn't everybody?

Now.....where are my pants? ...I can't find the #$!&!! things...

ANOTHER Truth In Advertising Statement:

As one who has worn such rigs for decades in various climates, it worth mentioning that in tropics, and outdoors most always, and lots of exertion, the sheath will be absolutely soaked, and heavy crust of salt on exterior next morning after drying (some).

It does not seem actual body salt percolates through leather, but, rather condenses on outside, much as with boots. However, no suprise in that knife freckling brown by end of day in a hot, wet sheath, and vegetable/oak tannic acids not much help in that.

Edited by Lofty (05/19/17 03:53 PM)

#160468 - 05/18/17 04:54 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Clear pants. That would pose a problem for concealed carry. blush

#160469 - 05/18/17 05:20 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: W Polidori]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

THAT'S why everyone stares when I wear them!....They can spot the......wait.....they stare anyhow.....wonder if I've blown my cover?

If a lefty ordered the sheath as mine, and had the far side stamped, they would be the very first, and probably only, such sheath ever ordered, past, present, future. I will leave to posterity if that a good thing. This rig was ordered as is because it was quick for me, and easy for them, but am not especially sure I would change a thing. (and it's "Ruana" rather than from somebody else.)

Edited by Lofty (05/18/17 05:44 PM)

#160480 - 05/19/17 01:14 AM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Could not find a really appropriate place to insert this photo in my posts, so will simply stick it here. I like it.

Uncharacteristic color shot, along with a genuine smile and twinkle in eye. The founder of the feast. A real human, instead of "dour historical figure".

Edited by Lofty (05/19/17 01:20 AM)

#160483 - 05/19/17 10:16 AM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Great picture of Rudy. Thanks for posting.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160484 - 05/19/17 11:32 AM Re: My Ruanas [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Considering he turned 65 circa 1968, my guess would be this taken near same time when you first bought from the shop. Could be way off, but would assume the man and the shop very much as in 1965.

#160492 - 05/19/17 03:41 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I just wanted to add an update on my wierd little sheath.

Knowing the leather needed time to soften and start to conform to body, could not make an initial call.

It is working out fine, and what I would term "excess" is actually starting to more function as a paddle holster, and it will only get better as edges/corners soften and round.

If I ordered another, personally would not change a thing, which surely would make Vic happy, and not slow down their routine by much. Postive results for me totally dependent on body type, personal tastes, being accustomed to IWB carried objects, etc etc...

#165146 - 09/29/17 05:50 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Lofty]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
On topic again, I just received this from Bonner MT
It is the V. N. Hangas special knife, which Mike and Mark have made to honor their dad. This was made as a limited edition with individually numbered knives with special sheath, case and paperwork. I was on the waiting list and fortunately I am good a waiting and scored #89. It would be a great carry knife if it weren't so collectable, but I believe they will be making some without all of the bells and whistles. Also attached is a group photo of all of my Ruanas, pardon the photo, but most have wax on the blades.

Peter

Attachments
------IMG_3939s.jpg

Description: special case

------IMG_3941s.jpg

Description: special knife

------IMG_3943s.jpg

Description: serial number

------IMG_3944s.jpg

Description: special sheath

------IMG_3946s.jpg

------IMG_3948s.jpg

Description: group shot, all wood is ironwood (who would have guessed)

SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#165147 - 09/29/17 05:54 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Nice going and a super collection of Ruanas Peter. How many limited are they making?

#165148 - 09/29/17 05:59 PM Re: My Ruanas [Re: W Polidori]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Thanks Warren
I believe about 100 including a prototype that will likely stay in the family

Peter

V. N. Hangas Special Knife
To celebrate and honor Vic Hangas and his 52 plus years of contributions to Ruana Knife Works, we have created the V. N. Hangas Special knife. This knife was designed with functionality in mind and the prototype and first 100 will be extra special and collectible with numbering, special logos used on the knife and sheath, a zipper case and letter of authenticity included only with the first 101 knives and sheaths made with these specs.

The Blade:
• The blade is hammer forged, flat grind 4” 1095 carbon steel blade from 3/16” stock.
• The non-catalog shape is a hybrid between the Custom Finn and Steelhead blades. It has thumb notches at the hilt and would work well for hunting or an everyday carry knife.
• Each blade is engraved with a special logo from a drawing by Vic of an anvil and include his initials VH.

The Handle:

• The 4 ½” cast aluminum handle with elk antler inserts and aluminum rivets is a shop favorite of all of us in terms of comfort and functionality.
• The top of each handle is engraved V. N. Hangas Special with its own unique number.

The Sheath:
• We have used the retro color leather for the full length boot style sheath. It also features never before used iron nails and antique nickel colored snap.
• The special logo used on the blades is combined with our promotional logo and both are engraved to make a unique sheath logo

Extras:
• Each knife will come with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity that corresponds to the engraved number on the handle.
• Your purchase of this knife will give you the right of first refusal to the same number knife in any subsequent numbered editions.
• A zipper case shown below and made specifically for this knife will be included for preserving this heirloom quality knife and sheath.

Collectible:
• A knife and sheath with these exact specs and extras has never been made before at the Ruana Knife Works shop
• Since we like this design so much, after the prototype and first 100 our made we may make a similar knife but it would be without all of the bells and whistles that come with this special edition.
• You will have the option to keep this same number if any numbered knives are made in the future.
• This is most likely the last numbered edition that will be worked on by Vic, Mark and Mike Hangas

Edited by Peter_Kaufman (09/29/17 06:04 PM)
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman