Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163340 - 08/08/17 03:00 PM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: W Polidori]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
That engraving work is stunning.

Please let me know if you ever decide to unload it.

#163342 - 08/08/17 03:47 PM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: Windsor]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
That one is staying put Rob but thanks for the offer.
Incidentally it is unloaded grin

Edited by W Polidori (08/08/17 03:47 PM)

#163343 - 08/08/17 04:16 PM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I've had my Bond .410 for a long time. Great belly gun in snake country. Very shootable.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163360 - 08/09/17 08:16 AM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Warren,
Superb job on that engraving. I see that you also have their pocket holster.

Pap,
Venomous snakes are few and far between at my location,however,we have an abundance of two legged snakes and are pretty much over run by coyotes.

In the past year,there have been six attacks on folks walking their dogs. Three dogs have died and the other three were seriously injured.

These are Eastern Coyotes,up to 65+ lbs in weight.

The state says that there is not a problem. I guess they have not stepped out of their offices lately.................

These are the same folks that said there are no mountain lions/cougars in the state. Then one was hit by a vehicle near a city. The state did a DNA on it. Said that it was from South Dakota,I guess just visiting for the week end!!!!

Wayne

#163605 - 08/14/17 09:55 AM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: Wayne Dengler]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne--

The coyote is a problem that I have not seen state wildlife departments acknowledge.

I am told of them going after deer, and you can only assume that they also kill birds that nest and feed on the ground, as well as anything else they can catch.

In Ohio there is a direct relationship between the increase in coyotes and the decline in ruffed grouse. However, I think there are other things that also contributed to the decline in grouse.

Sometimes it seems that officials don't foresee or act to prevent a problem or a trend until it has already occurred. They knew about pythons for years, but only when they got so plentiful and killed off many species did decisions get made to encourage killing them. I wonder if the approach has been that they would not try to eradicate them but only to "control" them. Maybe the thought is, "Well, once they eat up all their food supply, then mother nature will put her natural limits on their numbers and they will die back." The problems with that are that other species might not survive through such cycles, and there would always be some residual food source so sustain enough of the invasive species so that there would always be a breeding population.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#163611 - 08/14/17 04:43 PM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: LarryWW1246]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
At times with all the incredibly confusing game/wildlife/fishing/hunting laws in VA,
I tend to not appreciate the few things done well. With coyotes it's now shoot them if you see 'em..... 24/7, 365 days per year......the way it should be. Same with elk in 90% of the counties. Fools wanted to turn back the clock, stock 'em, maybe hunt 'em someday. Forgot how many cars hit deer in Va every day. After the first auto deaths in the coal counties, changed their minds. Like hitting a black angus steer, only taller.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#163612 - 08/14/17 04:49 PM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: Duke]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
It's open season on Coyote here too Duke. In fact you can use lights in NY. A few years ago I would hear them nearby in the hills but I think the farmers around here shot most of them. Haven't seen Red Fox lately either.

#163613 - 08/14/17 08:16 PM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: W Polidori]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Two coyote dead in the road from my home this morning. And they've been hunted here at night, using infra-red & calls since the late 70's.....has not really mattered. Hear them often between 2:00-4:00am when their gathering calls sound. You don't get to see them often in the day in the east in these mountains......but they're everywhere.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#163626 - 08/15/17 08:29 AM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: Duke]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
A friend of mine in a neighboring community has taken over 60 coyotes this past year. All of them weighed in at 60+ pounds so I think that they have been cross breeding with wolves.

Our illustrious state says that is impossible,yep,right,uh-huh.

My friend uses a .300 Whisper suppressed. Coyote season is all year long except for nights and Sundays.

Wayne

#163679 - 08/17/17 12:59 AM Re: Pythons in Florida [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Love my own 300W suppressed. The deer have been thinned at night each year in this college small town for the past 10 or so years with this round......all venison going to Hunters for the Hungry. This is a very successful, "quiet" program and I've never heard it discussed by anyone other than local officers.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman