James Behring Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162962 - 07/25/17 12:29 PM Leather handle care……
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
I live up in the mountains of New Mexico where the climate is very dry and the humidity is very low. I had a Model 5 with a stacked leather handle that I recently gave to my daughter. After six years being up in the mountains it could use a little TLC.

I also just picked up a Model 15 CDT with a stacked leather handle and I am wanting to make sure I keep the handle in good shape. So what do you guys use to keep your handles from drying out?

#162964 - 07/25/17 01:01 PM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: mic214]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
Mick,

I live in Portales NM now, however we are from Mayhill NM. I have used lexol on all my leather for many years. Knives, saddles, etc. work great. does darken just a little.

max
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#162969 - 07/25/17 04:49 PM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: maxpastor]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: maxpastor
Mick,

I live in Portales NM now, however we are from Mayhill NM. I have used lexol on all my leather for many years. Knives, saddles, etc. work great. does darken just a little.

max

Hi Max,

We are in Alto, which is right down the road from Mayhill. Thanks for the tip about Lexol, I will try it out…… grin

Mick

#162989 - 07/26/17 09:42 AM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: mic214]
Stikman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Odessa , FL
Whatever you use , use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.
Stikman

#162995 - 07/26/17 10:56 AM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: Stikman]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Stikman
Whatever you use , use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.
Stikman

Will do!

My lovely bride advised me that she had a couple of different leather conditioners for her boots, shoes and purses. So I now have on hand a spray can of Wilson's Leather TLC, a tin of Kiwi conditioning oil and a small bottle of Bick's Leather conditioner. Anyone have any experience with these three products? Is the Lexol that maxpastor recommended better than these?

From reading the instructions, it appears that the the Wilson's TLC is more of a water proofing spray. The Kiwi oil states that it may darken some lighter leathers. The Bick's states that it will not darken leather. At this point I am leaning towards the Bick's…… grin

Edited by mic214 (07/26/17 10:58 AM)

#162996 - 07/26/17 11:34 AM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: mic214]
Stikman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Odessa , FL
I would go with the Bickmore , don't have any experience with it but based on your description , that's what I would use.
Stikman

#162999 - 07/26/17 01:51 PM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: mic214]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
I use Bick 4 on my saddle, boots, belts, sheaths, and stacked leather handles. It will not darken the handle. Great stuff!

RKS #4233

#163001 - 07/26/17 02:44 PM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: TAH]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Mick,

I've never used any of the products you've listed, but I've had good results with Hedgehog Leatherworks Sheath Condition which is primarily a bees wax base. I've used it on sheaths and leather handles and it works very well. The Hedgehog folks recommend using a cloth or paper to apply it, but I prefer to use my fingers to work/knead the wax into the leather.

I use it sparingly, and Danny is correct...a little of whatever you use goes a long way.

I have found it to be of great benefit for leather which has dried or otherwise is in need of some TLC (it rejuvenated the leather handle of a SOG Scuba/Demo knife which had been VERY dry). I have not experienced any appreciable (perhaps slight) darkening of the leather.

Hope this helps.

Bob
RKCC #622

#163004 - 07/26/17 05:41 PM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: rfcarlin]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I like a bee's wax base.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163014 - 07/27/17 01:05 AM Re: Leather handle care…… [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Me 2, heat helps soak it in. Keep it up many times and you're done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod