Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162353 - 07/10/17 01:18 PM Looking for good optics
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missoula, MT, USA
Hey Fellas-

Anyone trying to sell a quality pair of binoculars? I'm in the market for a new pair, but I like to see if there's anything premium floating around that I can swoop at a bargain before jumping in and buying new. I don't usually look here to source gear, but you fellas all seem to have [mostly] good taste so it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

GC

#162366 - 07/10/17 07:06 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Behring Made]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
I have a pair of Celestron Granite 12 X 50's I'm thinking of selling, are these high enough? They have ED glass, I just don't need that much magnification in the woods of Wisconsin.

NRA Life Member

#162398 - 07/11/17 11:30 AM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Robert Frey]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
What power are you looking for Grant? Do you want compact or a more traditional size? I use Pentax and Fuginon but have used Zeiss and Leica as well.
Fuginon left the outdoor (hunting) optics behind over a decade ago and I am "still" using 4 of their riflescopes. You can (sometimes) pic up a bargain around due to their obscurity now. They now feature only optics for the medical and marine industry.
Before anyone tries to bad-mouth a choice, like Fuginon, do a little research. I am a little more "in the know" about their incredible optics, having been an authorized dealer for them. I also had a "stantioned" pair on the 37' Merritt, powering in at 60x X 150mm! This bino-base companion set costs $4500.00...in 1976!!
Good luck with your search. Below is a photo of my 11 point, 143 3/8" (B & C score) shot with my "Hill Country" 30-06, Lilja barrel, McMillan M-40-A/1 stock, Conetrol bases and rings and Fuginon 3.5-10x 50mm riflescope. This package shoots a 3-shot, 100 yard group measuring .025 inches!
...just sayin'...Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Copy of 11 pt. & 30-06  Pt. #2.jpg

------Copy of 11 pt. & Hill Country 30-06.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162405 - 07/11/17 01:17 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I recognize the benefits of a smaller package, but my hunting has progressed to spending more and more time behind the binos, so the slightly larger/heavier set up feels like it will be worthwhile when I'm out there....

Rob, I'll shoot you a DM as these seem up the alley of what I'm after.

#162409 - 07/11/17 01:38 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Behring Made]
Knife Enthusiast

Grant,
I use 8, 10 & 12 powers binos but the 12's are extremely difficult to hand-hold and I only use them on bluebird days to count points on questionable bucks...and, even then, when I am in a shooting house or engine-off vehicle where I can get a proper rest. 10x40's are my "go-to" for most occasions.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162411 - 07/11/17 01:44 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
I offered to loan these to Grant. These compact 8x30 Swarovski binos get it done. They are just the right size for my needs and super bright.

Attachments
------20170711_134409-1024x576.jpg

Edited by W Polidori (07/11/17 01:45 PM)
Edit Reason: Sp

#162417 - 07/11/17 02:41 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: W Polidori]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren.... mail them to the shop.... by 7/25... THANKS!!

Edited by RamKingJC (07/11/17 02:42 PM)

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#162421 - 07/11/17 03:41 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: RamKingJC]
Knife Enthusiast

Those 8x30's of Warren's are great binoculars. I would use them for general hunting conditions. When comparing one bino to another, Physics helps. Logic would tell you that a larger ocular lens, i.e. higher mm number for the forward lens system (be it a single riflescope lens or dual binocular lenses) will transmit more light. That is partially true. "Transmit", by the way. is the proper term. It is absolutely impossible for a lens system to "gather" light! Optics reflect existing light.
The human eye cannot absorb (or is not capable of) processing more light (optical factor) than 7cm of "exit" (pupil) light. To compute the exit light factor you divide the objective lens by the power rating of your optics. This formula has been used for decades and is the main reason for certain (old school, if you will) optic acceptance. Examples: Ever heard of a fixed power scope? Sure you have. They are still the most superb for clarity, although not as well accepted as a few years ago. The standards were 6X42mm and 8x56mm. Fine European scopes, such as Kahles, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender and Zeiss used these power ranges (and still do) for decades! Divide the mm (Lens diameter) by the power of the scope...Wallah: 7cms !!
8x56mm binoculars transmit the most light. 7x42 a little less. 8x30mm even less, especially at very low light when transmission is more difficult to achieve. The 10 power Pentax binos I use as a general bino are 10x42mm. The maximum amount of light that can pass through to your eye is 4.2cm..."BUT"...it's just fine for general conditions, just as Warren's will be.
OK: I'll shut up. It's just a simple barometer to compare one to another...that's all.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#162422 - 07/11/17 03:48 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"Captains gotta teach stuff!"

Thank you for the excellent info =)

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#162423 - 07/11/17 03:58 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: RamKingJC]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Always learning, thank you Captain!!!!!

And of course thank you Warren for the additional knowledge and willingness to share. Still eyeing those ebay listings too

#162427 - 07/11/17 05:49 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Behring Made]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Grant,

I bought mine at Cabellas about 10 years ago in store. I looked at everything in my price range and it took me a while to narrow it down. The German and Austrian glass is superior to the rest of the field. My final came down to the Swarovski 8x30 and Leica 10x42. Loved the Leica, it was worth the $400 kicker. Decided on the slightly smaller Swarovski which fits perfectly in a side pocket on my pack. Never regretted spending premium. You buy them once.

#162428 - 07/11/17 05:57 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback

Examples: Ever heard of a fixed power scope? Sure you have. They are still the most superb for clarity, although not as well accepted as a few years ago. The standards were 6X42mm and 8x56mm. Fine European scopes, such as Kahles, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender and Zeiss used these power ranges (and still do) for decades! Divide the mm (Lens diameter) by the power of the scope...Wallah: 7cms !!

(side topic)

Funny how most scope manufacturers have gotten away from building fixed-power scopes. Of those that you listed, only S&B are still making them (in fixed flavor).

Not picking on high-end Euro scopes, domestic market is much the same way.

I prefer fixed power; less crap inside which means less weight and less likely to break when I need it the most.

#162430 - 07/11/17 06:19 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Windsor]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You're right Rob. Old time woods hunters here shot plenty of deer with fixed 4x and 6x scopes for years.

#162432 - 07/11/17 06:41 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: W Polidori]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I did inherit another rifle from Grandpa over the 4th- this one is a Mossberg model 810 with the hinge plate, made in '73. It has a Weaver on there,fixed-power, and it's the first of these scopes I've come across myself.... I'm leaving it just as it is.

#162438 - 07/11/17 07:30 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Behring Made]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pics, please?

#162941 - 07/24/17 02:52 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: W Polidori]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
My friend is a hunter, he had a lot of binoculars,
everything that is mentioned here.
For the last 5 years he has only used Sightron.
By quality and reliability is not inferior to more
expensive Zeiss and Leica smile
But it's best to watch with your own eyes,
even better to check the binoculars before buying at dusk.
I have a book, I think it can be downloaded on the Internet
in English "Precision shooting at 1000 yards" Dave Brennan.
I'm not a professional shooter, but there I learned a lot
of interesting things about optics, maybe it will be useful smile

#162965 - 07/25/17 01:53 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: desert.snake]
Birdsinhere2 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Grand Lake of the Cherokees, O...
Ive had most of the high end glass. I like my old Zeiss classics best! 10x40 and rubber coated. They are tough as nails, and at dusk I can make out the rack. No longer made, but occasionally you will find one on ebay. You wont be disappointed.
I owned Sightron. Not even close to the same class IMHO
BOOMER SOONER!!

#162966 - 07/25/17 02:21 PM Re: Looking for good optics [Re: Birdsinhere2]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: Birdsinhere2
I like my old Zeiss classics best!

Same here..
I have the Zeiss Classic 8X30s. Excellent glass for the money, and have held onto them over the years. I have also owned a set of Swarovski 10X40. I wasn't disappointed with them either.
I still prefer the Zeiss though..!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman