Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161695 - 06/22/17 10:55 PM File knives
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
Do any of our members make file knives? I just started forging and have been using files because of the high carbon steel. I would like to see other file knives and any advise on forging these blades. so far I have just forged the tang and tips and hand ground the rest. sorry about the photo's, I used my cell phone, by camera just quit working.

max

Attachments
------20170618_095112 (2).jpg

------20170618_095112 (4).jpg

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#161701 - 06/23/17 02:14 AM Re: File knives [Re: maxpastor]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Made cool!
A great start smile

I did only 2 times when I wanted to repeat the concave bevels
of Dozier and 1 small knife.

Depends on the quality of the file itself.
Modern sometimes have only a surface hardening or nitriding on old.

So it turned out that the knife with the concave descents well holds sharpness,
and the small one - in the center soft.

My friend taught me, but I have not tried it yet frown
(he lives too far to travel often to him, he has a bugle and an anvil).

It is necessary to completely anneal the steel,
to eliminate the difference in heat treatment,
make steel soft then engage in forging or grinder,
then only after did heat treat.

#161713 - 06/23/17 01:37 PM Re: File knives [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It is hard to know heat treat when the steel is a mystery, which is why most makers stick with a consistant steel of known constitution.

I always recommend Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" compendiums of articles written for those wanting to experiment with forging while keeping outlay to minimum for initial dabbling.

#161723 - 06/23/17 07:14 PM Re: File knives [Re: Lofty]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Good information all . Thanks I'll check it out. I like to use repurchased material. My brass is old survey markers and the handles are old awards (walnut ) the pins are stock tank float rods .everything is out of my junk pile.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#161726 - 06/23/17 07:28 PM Re: File knives [Re: maxpastor]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
BMK makes one as well might ask them.
I use mine for fire tender making, sharpening my ax & as a knife.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#161729 - 06/23/17 08:01 PM Re: File knives [Re: Chief]
W Polidori Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
My dad was a big time file guy. I inherited all his tools. I have enough files for dozens of knives.

#161732 - 06/23/17 10:32 PM Re: File knives [Re: maxpastor]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: maxpastor
Good information all . Thanks I'll check it out. I like to use repurchased material. My brass is old survey markers and the handles are old awards (walnut ) the pins are stock tank float rods .everything is out of my junk pile.

I totally agree with all that, old village smiths wasted no precious iron, either. But it will help to research various known file alloys so that the heat treat is not a guessing game and all the work wasted on a knife of dubious materials. Many knife making forums will have the file info on file.

Edited by Lofty (06/23/17 10:33 PM)

#161735 - 06/24/17 01:07 AM Re: File knives [Re: Lofty]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

found some good info on Knifedog. and found some video's on file knives. the USA made knives Nicholson, Simmonds, and Heller are W1 and 1095 and some rasps are stainless. I haven't used any stainless. I have been using the Nicholson and Heller files so I feel pretty good on the steel. At least my process has been correct. I know they are hard after heat treat and tempering. I have saved all my farrier Rasps over the years and now I am glad I did. also find them at garage sales. should keep me in files for a while. some good information about how files are made out there also. thanks all

RKCC #502

#161738 - 06/24/17 09:34 AM Re: File knives [Re: maxpastor]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Glad to see you actually did legwork, and hope you did not assume I was calling you a dimwit, as one never knows how much experience a person has prior to posting questions, and I was approaching the answer as to a newbie. As sure as I assume deeper knowledge on a subject, am invariably wrong.

As DS mentioned above, some files simply nitrided or otherwise surface treated for extreme hardness on exterior, and some of those only ruin steel for forging as the surface treatment ruins homogeneity and impossible to forge. Did you work as a farrier, or are these just for hoof trimming as an owner?

Edited by Lofty (06/24/17 12:03 PM)

#161753 - 06/24/17 10:23 PM Re: File knives [Re: Lofty]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty, I am a retired Civil Engineer, retire Navy SeaBee and retired Army Corps of Engineer, Resident Engineer at 27th Special Operations Group, Cannon AFB. and enjoy working with my hands. I have always working with metal and have been a knife collector of anything American made knives for 50 years plus. This new interest of forged knives is fun. I have done blacksmithing for over 40 years. My wife bought me a blacksmith book in 1975 and I bought the Fox Fire books for about the same period of time. I like to make tools and some camping and hunting equipment. If I see it on the internet and like it. I'll try to make it before I buy it.

RKCC #502

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman