Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160535 - 05/20/17 06:48 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I got mine off Ebay. One for my Bronco, and the rest to Grandsons.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160536 - 05/20/17 07:01 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dang, I figured YOU could really do a test video....."here's the Mora Robust being pounded through an elk clavical with a 3lb ball peen hammer".

PS- went back and saw it the latest black/grey Robust in the video. Same blade thickness as the Garberg.

Also, Pappy, if you are new to the knives and unfamiliar with the button sticking out of top/front of sheath, Northern Euro folk are accustomed to double-sheathed knives, large and small, this just a modern adaptation, so suchlike a 511 can be piggybacked on the Robust sheath.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 07:20 PM)

#160537 - 05/20/17 07:57 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If you just wanna see someone bust one of the thinner plain carbon ones in a sub-1min video, and see what it takes to bust one, this is quick and dirty, and an older out of print knife by years.

But, cut to the chase, the only way to bust one is to really try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBot1-lTtw

#160563 - 05/21/17 03:14 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Mora makes good knives, but I like the classic with wooden handles or remade with birch bark smile

A few years ago, in one forum, while its creators did not quarrel, an interesting test was conducted in 2 parts

http://www.knifelife.ru/articles_test_lowprice_1.html

Translator Google works better than before

It's me, to show that ordinary Mora's with plastic handles are mostly very strong smile
On Garberg strength (durability) is somewhat redundant, IMHO,
but in some cases it's even good

#160564 - 05/21/17 03:32 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Most Americans push-cut, and so the small slick wooden spool handles quite dangerous for them.

I do not know if you have ever sectioned a modern Mora wood handle, but the hole in wood is drilled large, and only actual support to blade is the thin stamped ferrule. A wonder they hold up as well as they do, and they do hold up to a lot of abuse.

The review is interesting, had seen them before, they test also by chopping nails etc, but most models on those tests are no longer available in western Europe or the UK or the USA.

The Finman is one I miss, gave my last one to some kid, and only vendor who has any whom I can find is in Germany, where I would pay $30 shipping for a $9 knife.

They all do so well due to common steel supplies, and Mora the best of the lot for heat treat, them also doing so for other companies.

As for the Garberg, as mentioned previous, I bought because I said I would. But, also, even though it was known already that it would not be as good an actual cutter as the thinner knives, part of the purchase was in knowing it would be probably THE most unbreakable knife owned, absolutely failsafe and weatherproof. It still sits mainly at home unless environment simply horrid.

Edited by Lofty (05/21/17 04:30 PM)

#160568 - 05/21/17 04:28 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Thank you!
This is very interesting information,
I never thought in this direction.
Push-cut, is this when cutting pressure forward and down, without sawing motion?

I have the whole left hand in a lot of cuts. When I cut something, it does not succumb, I add pressure and then bang!
Resistance falls briskly and knife slams into the hand.

It does not matter, there was a knife with or without a guard. The thing is that I often forget about safe working techniques when nothing is on the blade path at an imaginary failure.

#160570 - 05/21/17 05:50 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

To put it blountly, Americans like to stab things. You give any American male, of any age, a sharp object, and the very first move he will make is imaginary stabs, followed swiftly by looking for something real to stab. And then to overhead downward full power stabs.

Even in normal cutting, they will push point first and just keep pushing. They also grow up with knives where they crowd the hand right up to blade, and use ricassos for finger rests, and need something, even just a bump or finger groove to keep fingers from slipping into blade.

In short, most American males do not know what they are doing with a knife, and are a danger to themselves and everyone within a mile. Hunters, and cooks, know how to use them, often self taught, but most only play with knives rarely, most knives illegal to even wear in major population centers where majority lives today.

For a generation, now, they have not even been able to carry a pocket knife during almost entire childhood, as even a photograph of a knife can literally get one suspended from school. An emasculated entire generation, and by the pen and not the sword.

It would be a nation of one-handed males were it not for guards.

Edited by Lofty (05/21/17 06:22 PM)

#160573 - 05/21/17 06:41 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

But, would think the Garberg up to most any stabbing an American would try....trees....bricks.....sidewalks.

The Robust would have made a lot more sense, though, bunches lighter and cheaper.

Best cutter of the lot, though, is the $8-$10 Basic 511.

(I looked at the post, then looked at the 511, and not a mark on it. I have no idea what is on the handle side in photo. Maybe should get a paranormal expert who investigates ghost worms and their ghostly by-product)

Edited by Lofty (05/21/17 07:06 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman