Clinton Knives Nifeboy.com
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160523 - 05/20/17 01:04 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I just ordered 4 of the Robust models as shown in the video, for under $90 and free shipping.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160524 - 05/20/17 01:31 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Did you get the plain carbon steel or the stainless?

Both are fine steels, but the carbon is taken to 59-60Rc while the stainless i think is 57-58Rc. The ranges are mine and not theirs....they use extremely clean, very consistant steel, and their automated heat treat is super consistant, which is why you get a super tough trustworthy knife, every time you grab one from a hardware/convenience store cardboard countertop display.

The stainless is Sandvik 12C27, the plain carbon Bohler Uddeholm C100, both very very fine grained steel which appears as if salt and pepper mixed together under electron microscope....no chunks, no clumps.

For daily cutting chores, i still recommend the smaller/thinner such as these Basic 511s or the red handled carbon Clipper (NOT Clipper Companion/Companion, as its successor known). Guaranteed they will end up your go-to knives for cutting over the thicker.

A trait they had since plastic handles came out, and a trait somewhat muddied by the military black/green models and the neon colored models, is the handle color showing the steel used. If the handle is red, it is plain carbon, and if blue, it is stainless.....ignore the overlays on the new worker knives, whether black or grey, and go by the base handle color underneath. I seem to recall the video test knife was red with grey overlay, rather than blue, but do not recall for sure.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 01:40 PM)

#160525 - 05/20/17 02:04 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The new 511 blade is subtly different. Deeper, shorter, edge trends upward out front relative to spine, can still reach in with front for detail work.

The older 510 has been resharpened as required, which is not too often, to return to as-shipped razor sharp with a few edge dinks from factory (from stabbing in dirty foam while handles trimmed).

Pappy, my sharpening method is simple. I just lay a small sheet of automotive paint dept at WalMart/Autozone sandpaper on the edge of a counter, lay blade flat and then roll over onto primary bevel, and strop backwards, starting with tip to prevent flat-spotting sides of tip, until I have a burr on edge, and then strop off burr on cereal box cardboard or whatever. Normally only need 1000 or 2000 grit, but might need coarser to swiftly work out a serious dink (rare).

The loose paper on a counter actually rolls around the edge as stropped and convexes to razor sharp, no soft backer required.

Just my simple way.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 05:47 PM)

#160528 - 05/20/17 02:34 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pappy19
I just ordered 4 of the Robust models as shown in the video, for under $90 and free shipping.

Pap

The Garberg, alone, would have cost nearly that. It has a really nifty versatile sheath system, but if that not needed, and the fact that what the video Robust knife could handle is anything a buyer might throw at a knife, then just no sense in it.

I bought the Garberg to keep a promise, even though it was not done as I personally would have ever thought of doing. But I did promise if Mora ever made a full-tang knife, I would buy it.

Truly would have been happy had they just butted the ricasso against a stainless plate up front, and fastened visible tang in back, on one of their less thick models, buuuuut....

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 11:40 PM)

#160529 - 05/20/17 02:35 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I got the carbon blades, just like in the video.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160530 - 05/20/17 03:23 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I prefer carbon as well, and no particular reason as both very tough.

I think the stainless can be bent even more and not break, due to carbon having higher hardness. (which is exactly backwards to what we normally assume, the stainless more brittle and carbon a better spring, but again, this is very clean alloy at high hardnesses for both, but where stainless WOULD flop if taken higher.)

But on most things, the carbon holds an edge a bit better. Both can be sharpened to an edge where one could say they have never seen a sharper knife, or cut one's self deeper and more often by accident (not me, right).

Pappy, I guess you bought 4 for your own 3 destruction test videos involving anvils, locomotives, and military tanks, and looking forward to the posting of them. ....oh.....forgot the flame thrower....gotta have flame throwers....

Or, maybe you just bought for family.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 05:44 PM)

#160531 - 05/20/17 04:06 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Best place to order these bad boy'z??????
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#160532 - 05/20/17 04:24 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: CrazyCajun]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I just buy from Ragnar/Ragweed Forge (a really nice guy who I have dealt with for near a decade) or off ebay, and sometimes Amazon if not minding the shipping time of Atlanta to Charleston via Indonesia, the Arctic, and Hawaii...

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 05:45 PM)

#160533 - 05/20/17 05:53 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If the carbon Clipper as posted of prior appeals to anyone, but they would prefer stainless, Mora has retired it under their name, but an orange handled version sold by Bahco, and quite cheaply, is the very same knife and made by Mora. They do this in Europe frequently, letting companies buy rights to retired designs.

The Bahco/SnapOn knife is available stateside, and easily found such as Amazon, ebay, etc...

#160534 - 05/20/17 06:38 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

A quick photo primer on why the cheap knives so tough.

Large carbides, clumps thereof, and grain boundaries, weaken steel, flaws in a diamond or knots in a structural board or pole.

The following are photo-micrographs at identical magnification of the cleanest powdered steel I could find (listed by alloy content, not name brand, and I am not messing with looking up), then 440C, then D2, then Sandvik 12C27.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 06:50 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman