Nifeboy.com dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159939 - 05/02/17 09:17 PM Re: Somebody had a knife [Re: Ronnie]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
With you on that one too Ronnie. It's a way of life for so many of us. Hard to understand not living that way!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#159954 - 05/03/17 11:04 AM Re: Somebody had a knife [Re: CrazyCajun]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Without having any first-hand experience in a crash where it was needed, I can imagine many ways that it could be difficult to locate or use a knife when you are trapped.

Also, how difficult it could be to get at a trapped person and get them out, while being careful not to injure them with a knife or otherwise.

Everybody has his own preference when it comes to whether to carry a knife, what brand or type to carry, and how well they maintain it.

One suggestion would be to carry or have at hand a factory-sharp knife that is not used for anything except the emergency that you hope never happens.

Some people consider the Spyderco factory edge to be the sharpest out-of-the-box. And their serrated edges might be ideal for cutting seat belts. I haven't practiced cutting seat belts, but that would be a good idea. Also, practice breaking glass. Maybe I could find a junk yard that would let me do it.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#160013 - 05/04/17 10:56 PM Re: Somebody had a knife [Re: LarryWW1246]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
I live about 30 miles from where this storm struck in Eustace, Canton, Fruitvale, and Emory, Texas. There were 9 total tornadoes. One traveled over 50 miles and stayed on the ground for 2 hours. The destruction is beyond description.

One of my wife's former co-workers' house near Canton took a direct hit and just plain exploded. She and her husband were blown over 200 yards. She broke her back and ankle. He got blown into a barbed wire fence and was killed. They laid out in the pouring rain for several hours before anyone could get to them because of the trees and debris blocking the roads.

About as terrible as it can get!

#160014 - 05/04/17 11:59 PM Re: Somebody had a knife [Re: coachblalock]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Lord be with them and their families. I'll take all the Idaho snow storms to not ever see another tornado.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160479 - 05/19/17 01:00 AM Re: Somebody had a knife [Re: pappy19]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
I certainly agree with the comments about Seat Belt webbing being difficult to sever. If slack, it is a bitch to slice. Plain edge knife has tendency to melt and bind the Nylon. Easier when under tension.
This is where a GOOD serrated edge shines through. Like a hot knife through butter. Spyderco serrated edges have proved the point for me.
I do cut my fair share of line (rope) both Polyester and Nylon and webbing as a fulltime Boater.
I have tried various cheap serrated steak/kitchen knives over years as emergency blades secured in spots about Sailboat. Always tried before hand and mostly crappy but considered disposable...

Edited by needfull things (05/19/17 01:03 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod