Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160481 - 05/19/17 01:27 AM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

VERY entertaining attempted demolition of a Mora knife...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlcBpKbAvM

and why I have numerous Moras, and especially the latest Garberg, which has a full tang and does away with smaller tang cutting front of handle.

I call the Garberg my unbreakable Swedish dive knife.

Edited by Lofty (05/19/17 04:59 PM)

#160482 - 05/19/17 08:59 AM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Yes, that's the video, thanks Lofty. I don't have one, but I might buy one to throw into the back of my Bronco.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160485 - 05/19/17 11:39 AM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Unless you plan on clubbing your knife like a baby seal, the Robust model in the video with "stick" tang is all you would ever need, and MUCH cheaper than the Garberg.

In my opinion, the true full tang Garberg was unrequired....if they had simply cut radiused shoulders on the Robust/Bushcraft line ricasso and butted them against a brass or stainless plate at front of handle, there would never have been shoulder/tang cutting of plastic handle up front. And it would have been unbreakable without all new and much heavier knife.

#160489 - 05/19/17 02:58 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
The synthetic handle material that Morakniv uses is really nice, too.

#160490 - 05/19/17 02:59 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Another personal opinion. If you need "stand on it/stab thru car door" strength, one can go step by step up the scale in thickness from Companion, to Robust/Bushcraft, to Garberg.

One also loses true cutting performance each step up that rung.

If one steps down from those, one finds the discontinued 780, and the Clipper (still made in plain carbon steel). These last two are fantastic carver/cutters, able to carve a 2x4 to toothpicks in record time, and can also handle batoning, but simply not thick enough for log splitting. Both of these can be bent multiple times to 90° before finally giving in.

They ALL are equally indestructible when size factored in. You need not buy the thickest worst cutting knife to have a very tough knife.

The folks at Mora have always prided themselves on knives which flat out cut, and the USA/UK demands for these ever thicker and thicker knives must be confirming to them that English speakers truly are insane.

Edited by Lofty (05/19/17 03:19 PM)

#160491 - 05/19/17 03:13 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Windsor]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Windsor
The synthetic handle material that Morakniv uses is really nice, too.

Personally, I do not care for softer overlay, and why I jumped on the Garberg, and why my favorite old one is the 780 with guard and solid handle.

But I do not think any Frost or Mora with injection molded handle was ever anything BUT a masterpiece of ergonomics. They KNOW how to make a working handle.

#160500 - 05/19/17 08:13 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

I remember many years ago, like in the 70's, Knife World did a torture test on a big number of production and custom knives.
The winner was a knife called G96, a cheapy advertised in outdoor magazines. Most looked like Buck knockoffs, but performed admirably. I never owned one.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160504 - 05/19/17 08:37 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Folk are right proud of the G96 knives, just check used knife prices on those babies.

I also remember them, and their entire line of products, they still exist as the only civilian marketeer of the latest/greatest milspec CLP formula.

Back to the Mora, the tested knife has a long tapered radiused tang of at least 3/4 handle length, with notches/holes for security in the cast handle.

The Garberg has a more "full tang", and essentially a cast layer enclosing it, and likely could be handled with slab scales for the industrious. I have actually seen photos from the super-industrious who have then ground the tang back to old style and installed fancy wood.

This is the Garberg, nekkid, from last year at SHOT. It weighs pretty much same as a Ruana 14B.

Edited by Lofty (05/19/17 08:53 PM)

#160522 - 05/20/17 12:45 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The heck with the Orlando Show as hyped in another thread.

I went to the PASCAGOULA show today and there were THREE Randalls there!!!

Also TWO vendors with cardboard Mora Companion and Basic 511 displays for $15 and $10 respectively.

Wanted to try the new handle on what is the otherwise pretty much (seems a wee bit deeper and more of blade inside handle) the classic Mora #1, 510, 511 etc blade. It is a small blade but probably would outperform the majority of knives sold today on most any task in the woods aside from chopping. Which is why the cheapest Moras are the most popular.

The Basic 511 has no overlay as larger blade versions with this new workman knife handle, and is still featherlight, which suprised me.

My $10 souvenir, which goes in car after wiping plain carbon C100 Bohler Uddeholm blade.

A craftsman/contractor/workman/woodsbum knife.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 01:06 PM)

#160523 - 05/20/17 01:04 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

I just ordered 4 of the Robust models as shown in the video, for under $90 and free shipping.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160524 - 05/20/17 01:31 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Did you get the plain carbon steel or the stainless?

Both are fine steels, but the carbon is taken to 59-60Rc while the stainless i think is 57-58Rc. The ranges are mine and not theirs....they use extremely clean, very consistant steel, and their automated heat treat is super consistant, which is why you get a super tough trustworthy knife, every time you grab one from a hardware/convenience store cardboard countertop display.

The stainless is Sandvik 12C27, the plain carbon Bohler Uddeholm C100, both very very fine grained steel which appears as if salt and pepper mixed together under electron microscope....no chunks, no clumps.

For daily cutting chores, i still recommend the smaller/thinner such as these Basic 511s or the red handled carbon Clipper (NOT Clipper Companion/Companion, as its successor known). Guaranteed they will end up your go-to knives for cutting over the thicker.

A trait they had since plastic handles came out, and a trait somewhat muddied by the military black/green models and the neon colored models, is the handle color showing the steel used. If the handle is red, it is plain carbon, and if blue, it is stainless.....ignore the overlays on the new worker knives, whether black or grey, and go by the base handle color underneath. I seem to recall the video test knife was red with grey overlay, rather than blue, but do not recall for sure.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 01:40 PM)

#160525 - 05/20/17 02:04 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The new 511 blade is subtly different. Deeper, shorter, edge trends upward out front relative to spine, can still reach in with front for detail work.

The older 510 has been resharpened as required, which is not too often, to return to as-shipped razor sharp with a few edge dinks from factory (from stabbing in dirty foam while handles trimmed).

Pappy, my sharpening method is simple. I just lay a small sheet of automotive paint dept at WalMart/Autozone sandpaper on the edge of a counter, lay blade flat and then roll over onto primary bevel, and strop backwards, starting with tip to prevent flat-spotting sides of tip, until I have a burr on edge, and then strop off burr on cereal box cardboard or whatever. Normally only need 1000 or 2000 grit, but might need coarser to swiftly work out a serious dink (rare).

The loose paper on a counter actually rolls around the edge as stropped and convexes to razor sharp, no soft backer required.

Just my simple way.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 05:47 PM)

#160528 - 05/20/17 02:34 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pappy19
I just ordered 4 of the Robust models as shown in the video, for under $90 and free shipping.

Pap

The Garberg, alone, would have cost nearly that. It has a really nifty versatile sheath system, but if that not needed, and the fact that what the video Robust knife could handle is anything a buyer might throw at a knife, then just no sense in it.

I bought the Garberg to keep a promise, even though it was not done as I personally would have ever thought of doing. But I did promise if Mora ever made a full-tang knife, I would buy it.

Truly would have been happy had they just butted the ricasso against a stainless plate up front, and fastened visible tang in back, on one of their less thick models, buuuuut....

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 11:40 PM)

#160529 - 05/20/17 02:35 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

I got the carbon blades, just like in the video.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160530 - 05/20/17 03:23 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I prefer carbon as well, and no particular reason as both very tough.

I think the stainless can be bent even more and not break, due to carbon having higher hardness. (which is exactly backwards to what we normally assume, the stainless more brittle and carbon a better spring, but again, this is very clean alloy at high hardnesses for both, but where stainless WOULD flop if taken higher.)

But on most things, the carbon holds an edge a bit better. Both can be sharpened to an edge where one could say they have never seen a sharper knife, or cut one's self deeper and more often by accident (not me, right).

Pappy, I guess you bought 4 for your own 3 destruction test videos involving anvils, locomotives, and military tanks, and looking forward to the posting of them. ....oh.....forgot the flame thrower....gotta have flame throwers....

Or, maybe you just bought for family.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 05:44 PM)

#160531 - 05/20/17 04:06 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Best place to order these bad boy'z??????
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#160532 - 05/20/17 04:24 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: CrazyCajun]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I just buy from Ragnar/Ragweed Forge (a really nice guy who I have dealt with for near a decade) or off ebay, and sometimes Amazon if not minding the shipping time of Atlanta to Charleston via Indonesia, the Arctic, and Hawaii...

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 05:45 PM)

#160533 - 05/20/17 05:53 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If the carbon Clipper as posted of prior appeals to anyone, but they would prefer stainless, Mora has retired it under their name, but an orange handled version sold by Bahco, and quite cheaply, is the very same knife and made by Mora. They do this in Europe frequently, letting companies buy rights to retired designs.

The Bahco/SnapOn knife is available stateside, and easily found such as Amazon, ebay, etc...

#160534 - 05/20/17 06:38 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

A quick photo primer on why the cheap knives so tough.

Large carbides, clumps thereof, and grain boundaries, weaken steel, flaws in a diamond or knots in a structural board or pole.

The following are photo-micrographs at identical magnification of the cleanest powdered steel I could find (listed by alloy content, not name brand, and I am not messing with looking up), then 440C, then D2, then Sandvik 12C27.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 06:50 PM)

#160535 - 05/20/17 06:48 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

I got mine off Ebay. One for my Bronco, and the rest to Grandsons.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160536 - 05/20/17 07:01 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: pappy19]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Dang, I figured YOU could really do a test video....."here's the Mora Robust being pounded through an elk clavical with a 3lb ball peen hammer".

PS- went back and saw it the latest black/grey Robust in the video. Same blade thickness as the Garberg.

Also, Pappy, if you are new to the knives and unfamiliar with the button sticking out of top/front of sheath, Northern Euro folk are accustomed to double-sheathed knives, large and small, this just a modern adaptation, so suchlike a 511 can be piggybacked on the Robust sheath.

Edited by Lofty (05/20/17 07:20 PM)

#160537 - 05/20/17 07:57 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If you just wanna see someone bust one of the thinner plain carbon ones in a sub-1min video, and see what it takes to bust one, this is quick and dirty, and an older out of print knife by years.

But, cut to the chase, the only way to bust one is to really try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBot1-lTtw

#160563 - 05/21/17 03:14 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Mora makes good knives, but I like the classic with wooden handles or remade with birch bark smile

A few years ago, in one forum, while its creators did not quarrel, an interesting test was conducted in 2 parts

http://www.knifelife.ru/articles_test_lowprice_1.html

Translator Google works better than before

It's me, to show that ordinary Mora's with plastic handles are mostly very strong smile
On Garberg strength (durability) is somewhat redundant, IMHO,
but in some cases it's even good

#160564 - 05/21/17 03:32 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Most Americans push-cut, and so the small slick wooden spool handles quite dangerous for them.

I do not know if you have ever sectioned a modern Mora wood handle, but the hole in wood is drilled large, and only actual support to blade is the thin stamped ferrule. A wonder they hold up as well as they do, and they do hold up to a lot of abuse.

The review is interesting, had seen them before, they test also by chopping nails etc, but most models on those tests are no longer available in western Europe or the UK or the USA.

The Finman is one I miss, gave my last one to some kid, and only vendor who has any whom I can find is in Germany, where I would pay $30 shipping for a $9 knife.

They all do so well due to common steel supplies, and Mora the best of the lot for heat treat, them also doing so for other companies.

As for the Garberg, as mentioned previous, I bought because I said I would. But, also, even though it was known already that it would not be as good an actual cutter as the thinner knives, part of the purchase was in knowing it would be probably THE most unbreakable knife owned, absolutely failsafe and weatherproof. It still sits mainly at home unless environment simply horrid.

Edited by Lofty (05/21/17 04:30 PM)

#160568 - 05/21/17 04:28 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Thank you!
This is very interesting information,
I never thought in this direction.
Push-cut, is this when cutting pressure forward and down, without sawing motion?

I have the whole left hand in a lot of cuts. When I cut something, it does not succumb, I add pressure and then bang!
Resistance falls briskly and knife slams into the hand.

It does not matter, there was a knife with or without a guard. The thing is that I often forget about safe working techniques when nothing is on the blade path at an imaginary failure.

#160570 - 05/21/17 05:50 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: desert.snake]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

To put it blountly, Americans like to stab things. You give any American male, of any age, a sharp object, and the very first move he will make is imaginary stabs, followed swiftly by looking for something real to stab. And then to overhead downward full power stabs.

Even in normal cutting, they will push point first and just keep pushing. They also grow up with knives where they crowd the hand right up to blade, and use ricassos for finger rests, and need something, even just a bump or finger groove to keep fingers from slipping into blade.

In short, most American males do not know what they are doing with a knife, and are a danger to themselves and everyone within a mile. Hunters, and cooks, know how to use them, often self taught, but most only play with knives rarely, most knives illegal to even wear in major population centers where majority lives today.

For a generation, now, they have not even been able to carry a pocket knife during almost entire childhood, as even a photograph of a knife can literally get one suspended from school. An emasculated entire generation, and by the pen and not the sword.

It would be a nation of one-handed males were it not for guards.

Edited by Lofty (05/21/17 06:22 PM)

#160573 - 05/21/17 06:41 PM Re: The Mora Indestructible [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

But, would think the Garberg up to most any stabbing an American would try....trees....bricks.....sidewalks.

The Robust would have made a lot more sense, though, bunches lighter and cheaper.

Best cutter of the lot, though, is the $8-$10 Basic 511.

(I looked at the post, then looked at the 511, and not a mark on it. I have no idea what is on the handle side in photo. Maybe should get a paranormal expert who investigates ghost worms and their ghostly by-product)

Edited by Lofty (05/21/17 07:06 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman